We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Lance Burton on Jay Leno (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Anyone catch that tonight (Tuesday)? I must say, I wasn't too impressed. For someone as renowned as Lance Burton, I expected more. I was at least hoping for some original material and jokes that haven't been used by every table-hopper in the biz. Oh well, what can you do...

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Then again, he's working for lay people, not for us.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
Plus he did Phil er Bill in this case ..... So uhm .... why can he do it and not me! Proof Positive the trick is only as good as the magicians performance and the audiences reaction!
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
That's true, and I know he's working for laypeople, but he knows many magicians will be watching. I guess I just had different expectations. I'm sure tomorrow night's "The Mentalist" with Gerry McCambridge will be much better.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
He could care less if Magicians were watching ... that is where we have our most trouble .... we care about other magicians..... you learn from others in your feild but you strive ot impress those that are paying the bills .... The Lay Audiences ..... unless you are getting paid my Magi ... and we all know we are cheap!

:)
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
It's the principle of the thing. I guess we might as well be like any other trade and perverse it by dumbing it all down. Forget about creativity and originality, just fall in line. That's the attitude that's been slowly killing a rare art. Just my opinion.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
The way I see it is this. did you see jay's reaction and hear the audience gasp at the card reveal?.....

yea we all know this trick but the audience does not.

and that's all that matters, entertaining lay people.
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 01:05, ChristianGrisier wrote:
It's the principle of the thing. I guess we might as well be like any other trade and perverse it by dumbing it all down. Forget about creativity and originality, just fall in line. That's the attitude that's been slowly killing a rare art. Just my opinion.

I apologize if this sounds harsh but that is rehash of everyones "opinion."
Creativity is in every aspect ... the effect, presenation, getting on the show, dress, not every aspect has to be incorporated in order for a person to be considered creative. I have come up with a few ideas and had other add to it ... does that mean I lose creative rights?

Automark
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I like the see thru routine he did with Pamela Anderson.

Nathan Pain
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Yeah, "Bill" was good, but the Zaney Blaney Levitation was great, especially with Pam Anderson on top of it Smile

(The Audience Loved It)
Believe In Magic....I do!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The card effect was terrible in my opinion. The complete wrong choice for a trick in front of MILLIONS!
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I guess I have a different point of view. I couldn't care less that magicians are watching me, EXCEPT, if I do something new and novel...it will be stolen. So when on TV, do the tried and true.

As for Lance, the laypeople love it, the magicians are jealous that they should be on TV, because they do the same stuff, and Lance is happy because he keeps his real stuff to himself. Everybody wins!!! Smile
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I agree, Steven.
Believe In Magic....I do!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am not jealous in the fact that I think he lost a lot of respect with that card effect he performed.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Lance Burton on Jay Leno (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL