The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » And Death, a Note Unsaid (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Yes - I do apologize for the wait. I have 3 different effects I'm sharing simultaneously. So between the PM's and emails and general questions and replies I receive from both, it has been exhausting. The fact that some of you have been able to finally get a PM through shows that I am slowly chipping away at it all. But that's the way I like things. I'm one of those people who needs to keep his mind constantly busy so that it doesn't have time to think of other stuff or the melancholy and madness starts setting in again...

I can laugh about it a little, but it's actually true.

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Poe
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
**UPDATE:

Ok...copies of this are now going out. However, there has been a last minute change to the pdf. I cut out the second routine - for now. Allow me to explain.

I have performed A Game of Life and Death literally hundreds of times in both paid performances and in casual situations since first purchasing it back in 2003 or 2004? - I can't remember precisely when it came out. But I bought it as soon as it hit retailers because I have a love for the plot where a participant plays a game for their very life/soul against Death or the Devil. Long story short - been doing this a long time.

Well, over the course of all these years, I identified a few problem areas in the routine - and there ARE areas of concern, to be sure. Give you just one example:

So you lay out the premise and it's all going good. Now it's time for the participant to make their cut...However, this is no mere card trick - they're playing for their life! And as you haven't let them shuffle or examine the deck - nor even showed them the Ace of Spades at all, you will sometimes hear "But can I check the deck first to see if there's only one Ace of Spades in it? How do I know you don't have more than one in there?"

That's a very real problem. Those of you who have the effect understand why. I've had this happen on more than a few occasions over the years I've performed it. It's a very logical and rational question for a person to ask given the premise of the effect. There are other things I identified as well; all of which, are detailed in the pdf, or rather "were". I set out to rectify the areas I identified as problematic - and succeeded. The end result has played devastatingly well. In the process of doing so, the entire method was completely stripped away and a new method was introduced that eliminates the issues I identified, and also allows this to be done with any deck that can be shuffled and examined, and requires no "non-impromptu" stuff going on with the cards. Again, those of you who have A Game of Life and Death will know precisely what I mean by that.

This means that you can also do it at any time in your set. In addition, the participant knows there's only one Ace, and they also know for a fact that it's completely lost in the deck. This method has more interaction, and is just as clean in appearance and fairness, but appears far more impossible. The main difference with mine is that a pair of dice are involved. That tells you how dramatically different they are right there. After all, why wouldn't Death play a game of "rolling bones", right? Smile

And that's precisely the title of my work on this effect: Rollin' Bones.

I tried to contact David through Facebook last year as I wanted to discuss this with him, but received no reply. Even though the method is entirely different, as is the presentation I use, the main inspiration was David's work and they share the exact same climax. I don't wish to rock the boat with this work, and in this art the proper thing to do is to contact someone if your work is inspired by another's - just as David did when he was inspired by a previous work in creating A Game of Life and Death. So, I will attempt to do so once again - this time through the Café. If there's no reply, then I can say that I have at least tried to do the right thing.

In the meantime, when you read the pdf, ignore the intro where it states that there are two effects taught and forgive the fact that the manuscript seems to end somewhat abruptly after the first effect is covered. The good news however, is that the effect you'll receive is deliciously wicked and I'm sure you'll all have a good deal of terrible fun with it. And yes, it stills involves Willie's best friend, Death. Smile

Sorry for the long story.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3245 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Sudo, Thanks for your detailed description of the changes, and not messing with Death, no apology is necessary. After all, "Death is never having to say you are sorry!"
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Oh...and it uses Tarot - not playing cards. I almost completely forgot to mention that. However, the method transfers over to playing cards if one so wishes.

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
Sudo, Thanks for your detailed description of the changes, and not messing with Death, no apology is necessary. After all, "Death is never having to say you are sorry!"

Thanks Willie. Check your email. Smile

Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1208 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
New rule for all creators: before releasing your effect or routine, no matter how perfect it may seem, hand it over to Sudo along with an appropriate payment, so that he can break it down, build it back up, and craft it into absolute perfection. Can we agree? Sound good? I’m drafting a letter for everyone to sign...

I absolutely LOVE Parr’s Game of Life and Death, and do it with my own little (very simple) spin for more realism, but I can’t wait to see the Sudo’s take!

Seth
ManxBull
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
86 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
I've spent a little time playing with 'And Death, A Note Unsaid'. It works really well and will pack a wallop, especially with those people who hold Tarot cards in superstitious awe. It all seems genuinely down to chance, but works out every time. Many thanks again!
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Ok. So, I dig this. I really dig it.

There's drama and subtitles at play that are iron-clad. I have sticks of butter for fingers and I can nail this.

Thank you, Sudo. Very generous of you. I will be playing with this for certain.

Best,
Perkins
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5174 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Perkins wrote:
I have sticks of butter for fingers and I can nail this.
Perkins

Just spit my coffee on my keyboard.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Once again, Sudo has unselfishly shared the brilliance of his imagination. He has taken something and put his twist upon it. His touches and thoughts take an already great trick and turned it into, IMO, interactive mystical theatre (that is just the trick). The layout of the PDF, the instructions, the crediting... To just say thank you for this gift hardly seems enough. I put bizarre magic to the side in 1992, after reading this, I believe I am going to dust off my tarot, light a candle, and roll them bones again.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Come on boys and wager; roll them laughing bones.." - from the song Candyman, Grateful Dead

Nice to see that I've seduced another back over to the dark side Wravyn. The Dark Lord will be most pleased with this faithful servant. Why did you ever leave? Surely you've learned by now that there's no exquisite joy to be found in the light that can compare with that to be found in the darkness. Smile

Glad that people are enjoying this little number. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
New rule for all creators: before releasing your effect or routine, no matter how perfect it may seem, hand it over to Sudo along with an appropriate payment, so that he can break it down, build it back up, and craft it into absolute perfection. Can we agree? Sound good? I’m drafting a letter for everyone to sign...
Seth

It's funny - you're not the first person to suggest this service idea to me. I appreciate your enthusiasm Seth. BTW - your Penguin review for my Mental Die-Mensional suddenly appeared like "magic" on their site yesterday - thanks!

gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1256 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Sudo,
many thanks
I'll see what I can do about sneaking you a few souls
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions
www.Gothicmagic.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4178 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Sudo knocks it out of the park (and into the dark) once again!

Of particular genius is his idea of how to present a very popular shuffling technique. As a frequent practitioner of said shuffle, I'm going to start using his suggestion and see how it plays out. I suspect that it will go over very well!

https://i.etsystatic.com/7556081/r/il/f1......f503.jpg
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
118 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
Sudo does it again Smile
Such a delight to read this in the "Skeletons From The Closet" format which is so well suited to this presentation. Thanks you once again for your generosity to the community Sudo, it is much appreciated.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
858 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Sudo, Facebook messages can be unreliable. I’ve occasionally discovered a message that was sent years previously and I never saw when it arrived, or I’ve searched for messages that have vanished for no apparent reason. Thanks for reaching out, but I didn’t see the Facebook message you sent. Email might be Stone Age technology but it’s generally a safer bet
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
What are your opinions on a short card (on the sides) which could allow the participant to cut the cards?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, David Parr wrote:
Sudo, Facebook messages can be unreliable. I’ve occasionally discovered a message that was sent years previously and I never saw when it arrived, or I’ve searched for messages that have vanished for no apparent reason. Thanks for reaching out, but I didn’t see the Facebook message you sent. Email might be Stone Age technology but it’s generally a safer bet

Hi David. I assumed that may have been the case. Smile

I'm glad you saw this thread. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
What are your opinions on a short card (on the sides) which could allow the participant to cut the cards?

For this routine? Not necessary. Smile

I abhor the idea of cutting up Tarot cards. The sequence I outlined in the manuscript works is perfect in its simplicity. If you're simply looking to have the participants cut the cards, there are a number of options at your disposal. My recommendation would be try it out using the method I described (which is based upon years of experience with the piece) and then if you don't agree, give me a holler and I'll walk you through some other options.

I strongly feel that having them cut the cards is gilding the lily. The flow of events is so random-seeming that this is where the focus should really be placed. That vertical mixing of the cards is perfect. Do it in front of a mirror so you can see how it appears to an audience. Plus, it allows you to engage the audience while doing so and keeps the presentation moving along nicely.

Trust me, nobody ever thinks the cards aren't well mixed. Smile

olivers2
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of olivers2
Hi Sudo,

I also want to be added on the list for this effect
How can I order that?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you Sudo. I only asked since way back, I had been instructed to always have the participant cut. I was merely asking out of learning a different viewpoint. Much appreciated.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Thank you Sudo. I only asked since way back, I had been instructed to always have the participant cut. I was merely asking out of learning a different viewpoint. Much appreciated.

Yes, that is a common practice - for sure. You can still do it here if you wish, but as this is a mini-theatrical piece and we're not doing any form of real Tarot spreads or any of that sorta stuff, I think it's perfectly fine to leave it out. My feeling is that it interrupts the momentum of the effect a little, that's all. Smile

Hope my input is received in the spirit intended. It's meant to be purely objective and nothing more. I'm not the final authority on anything except my own actions.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » And Death, a Note Unsaid (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL