The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Morality of Cold Readings? (54 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
991 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
The ethics are simple, keep it entertaining and without any advice on mental, financial or health issues. That would include investment opportunities, marriage counseling, drug taking or procedure, prescribed by a doctor, or any mental issues normally handled by the psychiatric community. It's that simple.


So if your client wanted to know what the future holds for her marriage you wouldn’t read for them?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17734 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Smoking Camel wrote:

So if your client wanted to know what the future holds for her marriage you wouldn’t read for them?


I realise you're not asking me, so yes, I am butting in...

I would absolutely not read for her, and haven't on many occasions and explained why it's not healthy...
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
991 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Smoking Camel wrote:

So if your client wanted to know what the future holds for her marriage you wouldn’t read for them?


I realise you're not asking me, so yes, I am butting in...

I would absolutely not read for her, and haven't on many occasions and explained why it's not healthy...


Is the explanation as to why it’s not healthy in this thread? If so I’ll hunt back through and try to find it. Cheers!
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17734 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not that I know of.. Except as a general theme of not being qualified to answer it in any meaningful way...

If you would trust the fall of the cards and then allow yourself to interpret them... Why would it be OK to give advice on such a life changing event?

How do you measure the success?
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1248 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Regarding any request to predict the future, related to marriage or otherwise, I like what David Theil has said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I don't predict the future because I don't believe it is written yet."

This is only one example, but it is the thinking like this, and the specific response that comes from the thinking, that can be one piece of more complete "standard" for giving ethical readings.

Personally, I don't think a standard for giving ethical readings needs to be set or governed by an organization. A competent and knowledgeable individual, or group of contributors, could scope out a nice standard. Certainly IAIN and Bill Cushman have laid the initial ground work for that in Devil May Care.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Regarding any request to predict the future, related to marriage or otherwise, I like what David Theil has said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I don't predict the future because I don't believe it is written yet."

This is only one example, but it is the thinking like this, and the specific response that comes from the thinking, that can be one piece of more complete "standard" for giving ethical readings.

Personally, I don't think a standard for giving ethical readings needs to be set or governed by an organization. A competent and knowledgeable individual, or group of contributors, could scope out a nice standard. Certainly IAIN and Bill Cushman have laid the initial ground work for that in Devil May Care.


Devil May Care gets referenced a few times here, can someone point me in the direction of where I may find it?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1248 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
My thinking has changed quite a bit in recent years on the impact readings can have on people. Even very recently. Largely due to what I've read here. Our words impact people. I am now (and increasingly so) much more careful and guarded about what I say and the words I choose. The principles are important, and so are the specific words we say.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17734 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I also think it's just more about being human and honest... Person to person, choosing to be an honest and open human being...

Unfortunately, because of how humans work, if you truly believe that your oracle can do such things and that you possess something mystical or similar, and a true believer comes to you, then unfortunately, reality jumps out the window and each person involved will feed off of each other.

Other than that, wish them well, tell them you are unable to read for them and suggest a marriage guidance counselor...
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17734 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, CGould wrote:

Devil May Care gets referenced a few times here, can someone point me in the direction of where I may find it?


Not available at the moment I'm afraid...
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1248 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Yes, agreed. Personally I don't believe oracles have any power. Other than what we assign to it. I see oracles as symbols and metaphor only.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, CGould wrote:

Devil May Care gets referenced a few times here, can someone point me in the direction of where I may find it?


Not available at the moment I'm afraid...


Well that explains why I can't find it anywhere online, and a slight bit disappointing, sounds to be a great bit of material from some of the comments here.
The Urban Entity
View Profile
New user
Itta Bena, MS
91 Posts

Profile of The Urban Entity
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2019, Ravenspur wrote:
I've been interested in cold reading for years and just bought Phedon Bilek's Sibyl. It's good stuff. But as I learn it, I keep wondering,

How do readers morally justify doing readings of people?

It's somewhat more than entertainment, isn't it? What are the rules that make it right? What if something upsetting comes out?

I don't have any interest in passing judgment on the reasoning of others, just interested in informing my own thinking.




As an evangelical Christian, I don't do cold readings. But, if I were, I would do the hostage principle. What is that? I would make it all about the peeked information. Tell them that I am not psychic and I don't believe in such. But I do believe that if we can use our imaginations to get our thoughts in sync, then something beautiful will happen in the end. Then ask the person, "Would you mind helping me?" Of course, they'll say yes.

That is when you go into the readings because you are trying to understand how they think. You are not being psychic. Merely trying to understand how they view life and get to know then, and then you knock them out in the end with a mind reading trick.

I think that remedies that.
WATCH AWESOME HYPNOSIS VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/user/taylormade85/example?sub_confirmation=1

"Pushing The Boundaries of What is Possible With Hypnosis"
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
The hammer is about to fall.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1584 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
It takes guts. damit.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur (tamen non esset irrumator!)
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The same kind of admonishment against cold reading can be given against the giving of any sort of advice under most circumstances.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17734 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, gaddy wrote:
The same kind of admonishment against cold reading can be given against the giving of any sort of advice under most circumstances.


Not really, the dynamics are completely different...
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4048 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, gaddy wrote:
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur (tamen non esset irrumator!)


Moraliter necessarium est stultorum nummos divideret.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Ut se verum suis tuam.

Dead horse.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Gaddy, "the world does not want to be fooled". The expression is meant as cover for those conmen and charlatans, to help them sleep at night.

Philemon, and I think to use morality as a justifications for bilking people out of their money, is no morality at all.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Morality of Cold Readings? (54 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL