The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Rich Ferguson New Channel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
It seems Rich, who already had a pretty big YouTube channel teaching stuff, is going to start a new channel called 'Trick Central'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6G8m5TLNqs

What are people's opinions on this? Like Brushwood, he's a charismatic and skilled performer, but also like Scam School it's obviously exposure. Is this ok? Is this a lesser of two evils thing (compared to ten year old unskilled youtubers exposing marketed tricks) ? Is this like 52kards and Disturb Reality?

I can imagine other well known magicians following suit if it makes enough money. And would this be a bad thing?
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
This goes back to the whole debate of what the consequences (good and bad) of YouTube on magic will be. I would rather Rich Ferguson, Brian Brushwood, Chris Ramsey etc. leading the whole YouTube magic thing because they are conscientious of the ethics of revealing magic on YouTube.
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, A Magic Café User wrote:
This goes back to the whole debate of what the consequences (good and bad) of YouTube on magic will be. I would rather Rich Ferguson, Brian Brushwood, Chris Ramsey etc. leading the whole YouTube magic thing because they are conscientious of the ethics of revealing magic on YouTube.

I agree. Ever since they have started magic tutorials, I notice a lot less smaller channels teaching magic because they know they won't be able to compete with the big guys.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, debjit wrote:

I agree. Ever since they have started magic tutorials, I notice a lot less smaller channels teaching magic because they know they won't be able to compete with the big guys.

I really don't think it's a matter of "competing" with the big guys. I think it's that the popular guys have set the example of what seems to be "The way" to be successful in magic.

After all, if you don't expose magic to get followers, then you actually have to practice and be a good performer and create compelling content. That's actual work, and who wants that!?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, A Magic Café User wrote:

Not as conscientious as I'd like them to be- Ramsay & Brushwood have both gone over the line on a couple of occasions, and I say that as a fan of both. Yes there are many worse offenders but there is room for improvement even among the more well-regarded. And yes I also realize when I say that, that some of these guys are not so well thought of here on the Café by many.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Rich Ferguson New Channel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL