The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dead Lock by Michael Murray (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3122 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2019, celebrity wrote:
Hi Warren you should probably opt for the Pat Lock or Locked for life if you want to use a date. Having said that, with my lock you could have it open on the exact day and month they were married which seems more impressive in my opinion Smile

Best Wishes Michael

That would work....one more question, when watching the demo I got the impression that when the spectator was inputting the numbers that he hadn't actually thought of that he wasn't allowed to use any of his thought of numbers. for example lets say the number I thought of was 1807 then when I input the number I'm not thinking of I am not allowed to choose say 1917 is that correct ?
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Not sure that I follow fully but using your example where the participant is thinking of 1807 they could try 1917 and it wouldn’t open. They could also try a different combination of their original number too eg 7081, 0718, 1087, 8170 and the lock wouldn’t open. Nor would it open on any combination of the bumbers 1917 either.

Hope that helps!

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
They could also try every other combination of any numbers they didn’t say and it still wouldn’t open too Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
“Numbers” not “bumbers”!!!

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1294 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Love the sound of this, but Michael, I’m afraid it is best suited for those in the UK. I’m not sure they would be a logical way to present it in the US. Do you think it could work for the US a market?

Madison
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Already sorted sir and all US orders are being sent the US variant Smile

Best Wishes Michael

Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Pmed you Michael. Olly
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Sent you a PM as well Michael Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17840 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I haven't sent you a PM...
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Can someone speak to the similarities (if any) with Paul’s brooks locked in thought effect? It was a bit too “algorithmic” for my tastes. But the locks appear very similar physically.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17840 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Method is not the same. Watch the demo, its hands off...
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Thank you Iain.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I don't want to 'reveal' too much

[I don't have this but it's obvious <I think> how it works - and it seems excellent]

One question - when the spec picks a random number, you obviously have to look [just in case]

But what happens if they pick one that they shouldn't

i.e. it's under x / yadda yadda

I mostly mean after the first number...

begininng you say pick a random number....

They say, 1,712

You just close off the effect - and say, did you feel I influenced you [?] remember that number and try it later.... but try another number if you want first....

So I can see how to get out of that happening at the start.

But as I'm doing this on stage.....

What happens if when I'm saying [later in the script after they have selected the number] 'you can try another number first, or put in the one I'm telling you is correct'

What if I see they put in [as a different one] - a number that is going to ruin the effect [?]

It would feel weak to stop them, 'wait - forget that number - let's get the audience to think of one instead' - yikes

Does this make it a 'bold' routine, or have you got some handling [wording] that can make it feel more bullet proof?

And again - how big is the largest lock going to be [?]

Thanks
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I’m not a math wizard… but I thought I would try and work it out [if I have things correct, and I may not about the effect, or the math]

Again I stress I think this is a great effect – and seems [mathematically] better than many of the others [like the amazing Grismer Lock]

My [bad?] Math coming

I guess it’s only likely to happen….

Well only two of the numbers matter

One I guess is an issue 20% of the time?

The other is an issue 40% of the time?

So in theory this should be a problem [on average] 8% of the time

Except you say pick different numbers……

So with that being the case it’s, 10% and 30%....

It will be an issue around 3% of the time [on average]

That does NOT mean that it will affect you three times every 100 performances you do

As, you ask them to try a few times. I guess the average might be 2 or 3 time’s the spectator will try

Let’s say an average of 2.5 times on average per performance

That would make it likely to be an issue 7.5% of the time

That would mean 1 in 13 performances this should [statistically] be an issue
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Both 'Dead Lock' and 'Locked in Thought' use a similar style of lock but the presentations and methods are totally different -

With Paul Brooks 'Locked in Thought', the participant sets the lock to a combination of their choice and then hands it back to the mentalist who first intuits the four digit combination and then opens up the lock using these corrctly intuited numbers (I have this lock and still love it).

With my 'Dead Lock', the participant thinks of a four digit combination and then the mentalist sets the lock before handing it back to the participant. The participant can try multiple combinations (if they wish) without success, yet when they try their four digit combination the lock pops open (an optional bonus is also included that allows you to verbally reveal numbers that the participant is thinking of before they even try to open the lock). OR you can set the lock and have your participant intuit the four digit combination that you are thinking of Smile

In short with Paul's the participant sets the lock and the mentalist opens it and with mine it is the exact reverse (the mentalist sets the lock and the participant opens it).

Hope that helps a little!

Best Wishes Michael

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I'm sure Michael [being as amazing as he is and having used it for a while] has this covered

But it's the most important aspect and I just wonder how weak or much of an issue it is [?]
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Hi Duster, thankfully the method is different to what you are thinking and so the problem you have in your mind won't occur Smile

Shoot me a pm and I will be happy to clarify further Smile

Best Wishes Michael

DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Very very helpful Michael. Thank you.
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Is the lock gimmicked or can I use it as a regular lock?
Thanks,
K
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17840 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2019, TheDBK wrote:
Is the lock gimmicked or can I use it as a regular lock?
Thanks,
K

I feel this question is only pertinent to people who perform at public baths and bike sheds...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dead Lock by Michael Murray (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL