The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for Okito Box for Oversized Coins. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chucklerich
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
A friend of mine gave me a beautiful pre-war Chinese coin that is has some silver content and a beautiful double dragon design on the back that when he saw it he felt I'd love it for magic. He was correct, however they are 38.8 mm in size and I am thinking that since Dollar Coins are 38.1 mm in size that Okito boxes are made for are smaller, I probably need to look for maybe an okito box made for over-sized coins or poker chips. Ive seen some made of mahogany, but I rather use a metal one if at all possible. Any help in locating a source would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If your still looking for an excuse for having an okito box...they look a lot like the boxes (nasal)snuff was kept and sold in, maybe its antique one handed down to you by your grandfather.

P.S.S. Modern Snuff tins are too thin/crumple-prone to use as a okito boxes.
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
It sounds like you'll need to get a custom box made (not sure who is making them these days), or get a dollar sized box and bore it out. If you just want a standard Okito box, the boring approach will probably work. The walls of my half dollar Ronjo Okito box are ~3mm, and it looks like you'd need to take off about 0.35mm (half the extra diameter since you'd be reducing the walls uniformly). That'd still leave around 2.65mm for the walls, which might be enough.

Ronjo magic might be able to bore out one of their dollar sized boxes (they seemed open to modifying one of their boxes to better fit expanded shells when I asked awhile back).
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Talk to Craig, best there is.
http://primalgimcrack.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1659 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Aaron Isaacs wrote:
Talk to Craig, best there is.
http://primalgimcrack.com

Beat me to it! Craig has some of the nicest boxes out there.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
I do not see anywhere on his site to place an order
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
Craig Ousterling has an account here. I'd suggest sending him a PM.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2890 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Ronjo actually used to make an Okito box for jumbo coins. They quit making them, for some reason, just like they quit making some really nice performance tables. But they’re out there.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for Okito Box for Oversized Coins. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL