The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for something that plays for the whole room (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For those of you that perform close up magic at weddings ie walk around magic and tables what do you recommend for those occasions when your asked if you can do a quick something for the whole room ?

Ideally I'm looking for something that I can put in my car and take it with me for those just in case situations, originally I was thinking of a smash and stab type routine but then started wondering about something a bit more family friendly as there are usually children at weddings so any suggestions welcome Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Depends on the "size" of the whole room. I've found a rope routine like Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders or variation ,Zander's Loose Ends, makes for a fun routine for a larger audience. Makes scense...Marriage,tying the knot... fwiw
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I agree with the rope. A good rope routine can be done in the round and doesn't take much pocket or magic case space.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Some favorite pack small, play big with few angle problems:

Rope: Daryl's rope routine, professor's nightmare, walking knot, linking ropes

Coins: miser's dream, coin in bottle

Cards: invisible deck, Smart Ass

Silks: 20th century silks, color changing silk, Duke's Dye Version

Linking rings
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for everyone's input, a rope routine is certainly a possibility but I usually consider rope routines as a middle piece where as in this instance as I would only be performing one effect it needs to fall into the closer category if that makes sense. Also professors nightmare whilst being a great effect has been exposed far to much and as this is a family environment there is a chance that some child in the audience will know how it's done as I've been told by a child in the past he knew how it was done in a close up situation.

Thanks again for the input even if I don't use the effects mentioned I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the subject Smile
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Inception by Chris Randall
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Why not do a multiple reveal card routine. The Multiple Revelation Project by Vanishing Inc. offers a 70 different reveals, along with controls and insights.

The MRD deck by Liam Montier simplifies this effect while enhancing it's impossibility and puts the multiple reveal routine in the range of those who are not already intermediate or advanced card handlers.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
Why not do a multiple reveal card routine. The Multiple Revelation Project by Vanishing Inc. offers a 70 different reveals, along with controls and insights.

The MRD deck by Liam Montier simplifies this effect while enhancing it's impossibility and puts the multiple reveal routine in the range of those who are not already intermediate or advanced card handlers.

I actually perform a multiple card routine as part of my close up set so I'm after something a bit different but agree it's a fantastic effect that goes down very well with spectators.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Signed card on seat. Plays really big, can use the groom or anyone you want and uses props already in your case. It is definitively a closer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Signed card on seat. Plays really big, can use the groom or anyone you want and uses props already in your case. It is definitively a closer.

That's not a bad idea Danny thank's for the suggestion Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
How about using something like Amazebox to collect messages, suggestions or predictions that relate to the bride and groom, obviously with some sort of big reveal.

Depending on your style, you could use I hate kids by Steve Bargatze and involve one or multiple kids, winning or losing, depending on how you want to play it.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Kaliix that has potential too thanks for your input 😊
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
How about using something like Amazebox to collect messages, suggestions or predictions that relate to the bride and groom, obviously with some sort of big reveal.

Depending on your style, you could use I hate kids by Steve Bargatze and involve one or multiple kids, winning or losing, depending on how you want to play it.

That is a very good idea!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Warren, what kind of things do you already do?
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have done Anniversary Waltz for a very large room. The reactions of the bride and groom will convey to those that may not actually see the cards well. Also, Sponge balls play huge...no real need for larger props or routines, let your "close up" play larger...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Warren, what kind of things do you already do?

I do a mixture in close up ie cards, coins, rope, ring & rope, chop cup basically everything apart from Rubiks Cube and metal bending magic.

So far I have considered the following

The Pain Game which I then thought may not be family friendly enough.

Fizz Roulette which is like the smash and stab routine but without the danger

And finally Cody Fisher's Comedy Book Test
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
In a wedding reception situation, in my opinion, it should be something fun. Not sure about a book test, though Cody Fisher’s is very entertaining. If you are looking for something that packs flat, has good entertainment value with ease of doing so you can remain focused on the presentation, perhaps take a look at John Archer’s BLANK NIGHT.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
The miser's Dream entertains all ages.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst Misers dream is a great effect it wouldn't suit my performing style and lacks a certain something for me but thanks for your input.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for something that plays for the whole room (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL