The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for something that plays for the whole room (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about a McCombical Deck presentation (either poker or Jumbo size)?

Julie
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2019, Julie wrote:
How about a McCombical Deck presentation (either poker or Jumbo size)?

Julie

Thanks Julie that's not a bad suggestion 😊
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
There are three that I bring to every wedding - Anniversary Waltz (previously mentioned), rope (previously mentioned), and egg bag (surprisingly not mentioned).

I always bring egg bag and rope to every closeup gig. Always a risk you will be asked to get up in front of everyone. I alway always bring some closeup props to every stage show - a magician is prepared! No matter how well you try to communicate, something can always happen - easy enough to carry a few extra things and be prepared with versatile, visible props.

Hudson
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Some thoughts:

Chinese sticks-
fairly small to transport, very visual, plays big

Silk to egg with fake explanation.
needs prep work, glass for egg.

Half dyed silk routine-
fairly small to transport, plays big. Whit Hayden and Levent both have work on this.

Bob White's torn and restored napkin.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Seeing Douglas.M suggestion of torn and restored napkin made me think of Tony Slydini’s Paper Balls.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpq9CvN_pA
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Seeing Douglas.M suggestion of torn and restored napkin made me think of Tony Slydini’s Paper Balls.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpq9CvN_pA

Great effect. Unfortunately, drunk people have a tendency to yell out ruining effect. So have to be careful with certain types of venues.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Hi Warren,
For a couple more things that play to a whole room at a wedding but ideas that have not been mentioned so far...
> Cards Across plays to a whole room (see Bill Malone On the Loose)
> Magic Square (see John Archer 'Educating Archer')
> A card silk routine - nice and visual if you have a large card silk and a dupe coloured silk with no card on it
mrsmiles
(UK)
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the ideas even if I don't use them you have all gave me something to think about it's much appreciated.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
My vote's on Confabulation. It involves many people, is funny and plays big. If I'm unprepared, I do an impromptu Confabulation with the Social Prediction.
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
74 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
You could use the jumbo split deck or jumbo comedy split deck with the bride and groom. The cards will demonstrate that the bride and groom are a perfect couple. It's even better with the comedy split deck and matching prediction.
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I was almost, ALMOST going to have a Himber ring as my wedding band, but Stevens was out of my size

That'll play big, long as you can walk around and project your voice

It'll also play small - I've done it walkaround by getting rings from different tables - once the specs accept that you're a performer, they don't try too hard to compare notes afterwards
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Slydini Silks...being able to tie the knot, as it were.

Just a thought!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On May 1, 2019, Stanyon wrote:
Slydini Silks...being able to tie the knot, as it were.

Oh, that’s brilliant. You could generate a lot of fun with that.

If you use Hudson’s egg bag idea, one suggestion would be to consider a final load of a dozen or so sponge eggs. You could build some patter line where the bag is “home” and the appearing/disappearing egg is our ideal mate, who we hope exists but is elusive. Then someday for the lucky ones the illusion becomes real and every aspect of their lives becomes richer and more fruitful.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
When thinking of a question like this I break it down to a list of requirements. This is the list of requirements I came up with.
- Needs to be visual,
- Needs to be easy to follow,
- Possible have no table and no stage,
- Pack small and light,
- Instant set up,
- Also note it may be something I have not practiced or performed recently so needs to be of capable level,

So with this in mind I have come up with,
- Single rope routine based on fiber optics. this is fast pace brain fryer sets me out as a performer,
- 5 Card Opener,I tell a story with this and lots of audience participation,
- And Blank night John Archer. The crowd love this with a chance to win $500,

I would also consider Best EVER Knots Off Silk - Jeff McBride and a classic Egg bag routine.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is not practiced recently a requirement?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On May 2, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why is not practiced recently a requirement?

that was a little left to begin open to interpretation. I meant it as for your regular pieces you probably practice regularly. And perform several times every gig. But a piece of this nature you may not perform as much. So it need to be accessible in that sense. But yeah to clarify only perform stuff that is well practiced.

Sorry for any confusion.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2019, warren wrote:
Whilst Misers dream is a great effect it wouldn't suit my performing style and lacks a certain something for me but thanks for your input.

I'll bet that you haven't seen MY Misers Dream, or MY 20TH CENTURY SILKS!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Anniversary Waltz would be great like others have mentioned, but if you want to think outside the box, I would try The Growing and Shrinking Head Illusion.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:
Some favorite pack small, play big with few angle problems:

Rope: Daryl's rope routine, professor's nightmare, walking knot, linking ropes

Coins: miser's dream, coin in bottle

Cards: invisible deck, Smart Ass

Silks: 20th century silks, color changing silk, Duke's Dye Version

Linking rings

Exc~eept for the rings and a bucket for the MD, you could carry all of that stuff in your pockets! (You don't need a red velvet bag on a stick to vanish an 18: silk
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On May 21, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Exc~eept for the rings and a bucket for the MD, you could carry all of that stuff in your pockets! (You don't need a red velvet bag on a stick to vanish an 18: silk

Let me please point out how amazingly "light" your miser dream set up is! I used to use two d******s until I read and watched your routine. LOL.

The other big point to your Miser's Dream routine is the use of multiple kids. This is a gold mine for PR. We magicians get to do something many other performers don't, make others stars. Parents LOVE this. At a wedding or other type of party each parent is going to be having their phone/camera out taking pictures and video of their child's moment in the spotlight. Then they are going to share this far and wide with famly and friends. When they have a party who do you think they are going to call? Some random name in the phone book/online or the magician they know will produce a fun time and make their young one a hero?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for something that plays for the whole room (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL