The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Kits (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Many of us came to magic from the TV magic kits, sold obviously on TV. In that vein, what magic kit's are today's gateway into magic?

Criss Angel magic kits for sure https://www.amazon.com/Criss-Angel-Ultim......y&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/Criss-Angel-Platinum-Magic-Black/dp/B00BT957OU/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Criss+Angel+magic+kits&qid=1551780330&s=gateway&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/Criss-Angel-MINDF......y&sr=8-3

Marvin's Magic Freaky Body Illusions https://www.amazon.com/Marvins-Magic-Fre......-1-spell

Marvin's Magic iMagic Interactive Box of Tricks https://www.amazon.com/Marvins-Magic-iMa......&sr=8-10 This one I think is very special as it's to my knowledge the first magic set that incorporates your phone.

Any others? And if anybody has pictures of older magic kits like from the 17th 18th and early 19th century I'd love to see them.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
72 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I have Criss Angel's kit. It has a Svengali deck and a regular deck. Neither is great quality.

My local magic store--yes, we actually have one--recommends Penn & Teller's magic kit.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8308 Posts

Profile of funsway
My first set was a 1928 Gilbert that I so wish I still had. The real magic was that my dad had kept it intact and hidden from when he was a boy.

He got it in 1931. I got it for Christmas in 1954. My siblings destroyed it in 1956 out of idle curiosity.

One great feature was a set of metal containers with blue lids. These are used in many different tricks such as -
serving as cups, an Okito box and the lids for a"shell game."

I have explored many sets since, including "Doug & Malissa" quality sets. None can match this early set as to quality and focus on magic impact over props.

I have has success in giving small, inexpensive 5-trick boxes to kids after a show where two included two of the tricks.

I have never seen a set "sold on TV" so can't compare. Don't watch much TV and have little money Smile

I have never known any relative gifted a large set by parents to do be "turned on" to magic. But have seen kids already truned on
to benefit form any kit they get.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Well Funsway, if you took a poll of magicians who got into magic around the 70s, you'd find many of them came to magic through the TV Magic Set or Cards hawked by Marshall Brodien. For many, Magic kits and simple tricks, are the gateway to magic and once the bug bites, it infects the blood. My post was just to see if the waters have changed concerning kits. Things change and it's possible that the internet brings more to magic than the kits do, these days? I was just curious.

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 5, 2019, Ravenspur wrote:
I have Criss Angel's kit. It has a Svengali deck and a regular deck. Neither is great quality.

The thing about those decks in his kit are that one has a number 1 on the side the other a 2 Smile

I made a invisible deck out of one of his regular decks and tell a story about, how he freaked my mind with it and passed the power to me. Great fun.

magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
The Penn n Teller kit is pretty cool Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5100 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Magic sets are totally seductive. My first was a set called Hocus Pocus, and then the TV Magic Set after that.

There is another thread here that discusses magic sets, probably several, but like Funsway, my current favorites are the sets put out by Melissa and Doug: https://www.melissaanddoug.com/discovery......ets-sets

They are all wood, well made, and quite substantial. Best of all, they don't look like toys. Highly recommended.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
75 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I am really impressed with the stuff that Night Academy (www.thenightacademy.com) is putting out.

I had not heard of this before, but I was in the Magic Castle gift shop at the end of last year and I saw this kit on shelf. Something about it struck me as interesting and I bought it on a lark figuring, if nothing else, I would just have it as part of my personal collection of random magic crap.

Boy was I wrong. This was real stuff--well made and well taught. A fantastic intro kit that teaches real sleights with well-made props. There was material in there that I would totally do on my own--not just kid stuff. I look at who's behind this and then it all makes sense--it's Jim Steinmeyer (which probably explains why it was in the Castle gift shop), Nicholas Night, Mike Caveney, Jonathan Levit and others.

They are doing it as something you can subscribe to if you want to continue--a box of the month thing. That could get pricey. But the material and training videos in the first box--the one I bought at the Castle--was solid at least.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
107 Posts

Profile of jkr
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, EvilClown wrote:
I am really impressed with the stuff that Night Academy (www.thenightacademy.com) is putting out.

I had not heard of this before, but I was in the Magic Castle gift shop at the end of last year and I saw this kit on shelf. Something about it struck me as interesting and I bought it on a lark figuring, if nothing else, I would just have it as part of my personal collection of random magic crap.

Boy was I wrong. This was real stuff--well made and well taught. A fantastic intro kit that teaches real sleights with well-made props. There was material in there that I would totally do on my own--not just kid stuff. I look at who's behind this and then it all makes sense--it's Jim Steinmeyer (which probably explains why it was in the Castle gift shop), Nicholas Night, Mike Caveney, Jonathan Levit and others.

They are doing it as something you can subscribe to if you want to continue--a box of the month thing. That could get pricey. But the material and training videos in the first box--the one I bought at the Castle--was solid at least.

Thanks for pointing these boxes out EvilClown! They are by far the best kit I’ve ever seen. I will definitely be recommending that site to parents.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3291 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember Remco's Sneaky Pete Magic Sets. There were three sizes and each contained some pretty good stuff! (NOT repackaged slum magic.)

C'mon Senior Sorcerers, I know you must remember these treasures being advertised on T.V., too...
(steam powered T.V.'s in the late 1950's or early 1960's)

Julie
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5100 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good old Google image search brings back these memories Julie. I remember...
https://www.google.com/search?q=sneaky+p......bih=1028
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3291 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe I had the middle size one. This was the one with the mirror cabinet etc., but not the changing "chafing dish".

Julie
Magical Moments
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
For me, the Tenyo Magic World Set is an excellent one but there are no English instructions for it.

The variety of tricks and quality is top notch, especially for a magic set but learning how to use some of them can be quite challenging unless you read Japanese. The set comes with a substantial instruction booklet and a DVD showing some demos.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8043 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Apparently, I'm the "UPC"! (underprivileged kid).

I never had a magic set.

In 1938, I saw Stanley The Magician (the late Stanley Susan). He presented his show at the local Jr. High School. The admission was 5 cents. (The Great Depression --a hamburger was 5 cents!)

The other kids (I was 8) left when the curtain closed. I went backstage to tell him that I had (during his show) decided to forget about being being a cowboy or a fireman. I had decided to be a magician.

It took a couple years, but I managed to do it! I still am. That was 81 years ago. It has been a wonder filled llfe!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2049 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I actually have a small collection of magic sets, my favorites of course are the Mysto Magic sets put out by A.C. Gilbert (Erector set fame). I currently have about 50 old/new magic sets.Older sets of course had a little better quality, more metal and less plastic.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
nnight
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of nnight
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, EvilClown wrote:

Thanks so much for the kind words!
The Magic Castle now carries the first three of our boxes, and also our kid-size playing cards Smile

Also, we are now delivering Box Six this month, and as we complete boxes we release some of the tricks for individual purchase. Plus, you can also see performance videos of every trick in each box at our main site: https://TheNightAcademy.com

Thanks again for mentioning us, Evil Clown!! (not so evil, after all...)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Kits (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL