The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda's second step (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Just out of curiosity...
I have studied the thirteen steps... I only use 11. No publicity stunts (don't feel ready) and no second step... It just seems too unreliable...
Do you guys actually use in performance those things thought in the second step ?
Kind regards,
mystery
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Mystery - I think that the 2nd step is something that is very useful if you take the time to study it.

When you first read it, it may appear very unreliable, but it can be used for some great effects.

Basically, don't expect an instant result this is something you will really have to work at.

Thanks
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
I think that pencil reading and soud reading are usefull in mentalism.
For me it's an help.

For example, I first try to pencil-reading, and after I do a CT. So, I have an idea of the word.

It's also usefull for drawing duplication (with ESP symbols).
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
adrian333
View Profile
New user
London - UK
53 Posts

Profile of adrian333
The pencil reading can be really useful if backed up with a psychological force, as a way to check if you are right or not - Try just using it for numbers and suits, that way you can quite easily distinguish the different sounds.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Not sure if this is in step 2 but the post above mentions sound reading.
Take one of your spirit slates and a piece of chalk.ask the spec to draw one of the 5 esp symbols
while your back is turned.
With a little practice "listening"you will be able to tell which symbol was drawen.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Sound reading can be achieved quite easily with a little bit of practice. Touch reading is probably the easiest to do, and for me is essential.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
The problem with sound reading (and indeed pencil reading) is that any astute audience member will be able to guess the method with a little thought.
After all, they are not deaf.

Sound reading and pencil reading are (in my opinion) only useful when used in conjunction with other principles, or as part of a larger routine, or as only one layer of deception among many (see Waters' sound reading effects in 'Mind, Myth & Magick', for example).
Hello.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
On 2004-05-14 04:51, Stephen Long wrote:
The problem with sound reading (and indeed pencil reading) is that any astute audience member will be able to guess the method with a little thought. After all, they are not deaf.

I disagree with this.

It would never even occur to them that you're listening to subtle sounds or watching the tip of the pencil.

I know they're not deaf, but they're not specifically listening to the sound...in the same way that they're not listening to the sound of the airconditioning or to the sound of the people adjusting their chairs, etc. It an awareness thing.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Winnes
It is like any method - presentation is the key to success.
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
Stephen raises a valid point. sound reading is more deceptive when used in a routiene that doesn't just involve the reavling of a written word. DB's 'pleophoria' is an example of using sound reading to improve an already strong effect.
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
I agree to an extent with Stephen Long about sound reading, if you were up on a stage in front of many people and there was deadly silence except for the sound of a few mutterings and the chalk scraping, I think that it would be very obvious that you were sound reading, however, if done correctly with good presentation [and possibly a little misdirection?] then I think it would turn out to be a great effect.
Pencil and lip reading would take years and years of practice, and I think are manily for the experienced mentalist who has been through a lot, and wants to spend time on something new.
Deaf people spend years learning to lip read, and it certainly seems a very hard and well used art!

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
509 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
I think that sound reading is very obvious and so is pencil reading. did you see derren broown with that conducter and he said to the audience don't try to see what he's writing by watching the pen move, everyone thinks that people are stupid, I will only do something if I can rule out the easy possibilities.

Curtis
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Corinda's second step (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL