The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bank night plot (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Hey guys Ive been thinking about osterlinds bank night and I loved the idea of using 5 envelopes and "directing subtley" the specs to the correct envelope (wink).

But I had a problem with the whiole routine, I didn't feel that the whole lottery ticket thing was me. But tehn, I didn't like the idea of teasing an audiance into thinking they can win money, so I came up with this idea(well its not mine I guess but I havent readit anywhere) could you guys take alook and see what you think? :

Idea: Explain to the audiance that you have 5 envelopes 4 of which contain nothing. You then borrow A £50/$100 bill of your spectator and ask him to note down the serial number. You then turn your back and seal the note inside one of the envelopes.

You then turn around and take the line that nobody but you knows where the note is. You are going to attempt to physcologically direct epople away from the envelope with the money in and select one of the others. Now three spectators each come up and choose an envelope and then proceed to burn it. When you get down to the last two the spectator whos money it is chooses the last envelope, which is then burnt. You then open your envelope to reveal the guys note intact and safe.

Now I do realise that if played wrongly it could make you look harsh since it may not be very nice for a spectator to lose his money, he may not like it. But played in the right fashion, In the mind frame that you are very confident in your skills the guy will have nothing to worry about. I don't think the plot of "burning someones money" is tasteless since osterlind himslef does a very good job of it on his 3rd DVD (bill in cigarette)

As well as that the routine could contain losts of jokes about trust, fire alarms etc.

As well as having the potential to be light hearted and funny it also contains genuine conflict and tension, since some one elses money is at stake. (when performing the bank night routine as it was set out I found that most people had a hieghtened sense of tension if I said that the moeny wasnt mine!)

These are just my thoughts but I thought I would run it past the more experienced of you guys and see what you think. Cheers for reading!
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Hmm... I know that I'd have trouble finding a spec who would let me borrow a £50 note!!
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Okay yea, whatever demonomination will do above 10 really. But you don't tell him your going to burn it before hand. I know this sounds mallicious and cold on paper, but as Mr osterlind very nicely demonstrates a plot revolved around someones money being burnt is very entertaining!
coops
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of coops
Craig Leonard says: "Hmm... I know that I'd have trouble finding a spec who would let me borrow a £50 note!!"

Typical Yorkshire audience !!!

On a serious note, this is basically a similar type of routhine that Terry Seabrooke has been doing for for the past 200 years. He has built this into a very funny routine with lots of gags. He appears to burn the wrong envelope but later fins the signed note inside an envelope in the zipper compartment of his wallett.

Coops
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3039 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
A presentation by Barrie Richardson also borrows Seabrooke's premise, only the burned note appears unsinged within a lemon.

As a side note, my own presentation -- called "The Big Game" and included in the Osterlind Stainless Steel Blindfold Owner's Manual -- also uses the premise of "find the audience member's borrowed bill, and then adds a kicker of clairvoyantly divining the borrowed bill's serial number. I do it at every performance of "Supernatural Chicago" (www.SupernaturalChicago.com).

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Burning the envelopes is an idea I like too but I don't want to set off any fire alarms. I've been using a small, clear paper shredder. As an envelope is selected it's put through the shredder. The sound this makes is for some reason very funny. The way I end is to show that I somehow picked the wrong envelope and offer the orange in excange for the lost money and bill is of course in orange. I've been doing a magician's force for the envelope selection but using a thumb tip would be a bit cleaner I guess. Either way the audience is entertained and happy.
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Burning one envelope is not as easy as it sounds. Fire alarms is one problem. Smoke another and it also takes time. Burning four envelopes can give a lot of smoke and takes time. You can loose speed.
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
I'd be concerned about borrowing a note from a spectator. Richard side-steps the confrontational problems with his light hearted presentation, but if it was the spectators money at stake then I think that would change the effect.
To an audience the original effect is, 'the performer COULD lose his cash,' but he doesn't and all go away happy with their consolation prize.
if you borrowed a bill then to a spectator it would be 'i could lose my own money' and I think that it wont warm you to the audience in the way that osterlind's version does.
regards
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Hjelm, I was thining of lighting it then dropping it in abowl waiting a few seconds then carrying on. There are now smoke alarms in the place I'm doing it and the envelopes are quite small.

Disappointing Hack, I am enclined to disagree since the idea of losing something of the specs has become quite a plot. In p. Subtulties of banachek I'm sure you remebr the effect where the specator could end up having his waych smashed. The audiance wont warm to it as much I agree but unless you have the right character anyway I think the lottery tickets wouldn't work anyway. I can't see max maven or derren brown goving out lottery tickets for example (brown goes as far as to take the p*ss and give the spec a picture of a parrot anlong with a crude sexual joke!) So I think it will work...! I will tell you after the weekend!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I did Lee Earle's "Manila Miracle" from his and Larry Becker's Mentalism symposium lecture notes.....it uses the lottery ticket idea. Used it as my opening effect for a crowd of teenagers and adults and it got gasps and very strong applause. I think the lotter tickets engender a feeling of goodwill even if winning at it is not guaranteed..

As stated in the lecture notes..the hard part is not feeling guilty because of the utter ease and simplicity of the method getting such a strong response for so little effort. It will stay in my show.
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Hello again 123maji123!
I like your thinking.
First you say you like Osterlinds Bank Nite. And so do I. I used it as an opener some hours ago.
Then "I didn't feel that the whole lottery ticket thing was me." That's right! If it's not you, you shouldn't do it! It suits me perfect and I do it often.
And third, you have your own idea. Perfect! You are a thinking person. Try to think in a creative way. Why envelope? Can it be anything else? Why burning? Why not tearing them to pieces? Or can you find a more exciting way? Why money, why not their Master card?
Please, let us know how everything is going.
hjelm
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
Hjelm
You misunderstand.
I meant that the overall effect would change dramatically, and you would receive a different reaction. I could care less if borrowing things-that-almost-get-destroyed-but-really-dont plots are popular or not, the fact is that the smallest thing you change will have a profound impact on the effect as a whole. if someone who claimed not to be a magician but a 'mentalist' borrowed money from me and then pretended to burn it, I probably want to cave his wretched head in. I thought that we were a different breed to magicians.... but the lasting image I have in my head is that of a fat middle-aged man with a comedy tie on, asking to borrow a ring and remarking 'look, its sratched from when it fell out of the cracker.....'
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
The question I have about the lotery ticket idea is that where I live we don't have a lotery. What are some other things to put in the last envelope to show "goodwill" towards the audience? Million Dollar Bills? Small simple magic trick? Goldfish?
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Quote:
On 2004-05-18 08:29, funemagic wrote:
The question I have about the lotery ticket idea is that where I live we don't have a lotery. What are some other things to put in the last envelope to show "goodwill" towards the audience? Million Dollar Bills? Small simple magic trick? Goldfish?

Are there any instant scratchable lottery tickets available where you live?
Those are what I have been using as consolation prizes. Last time I finished
my show, a gentleman that was left with the last envelope came to personally thank me for the lottery ticket and told me how he had enjoyed the routine.

If you have seen Osterlind doing this, you know how the spectator ends up in a funny "De Ja Vu" situation where he has to choose which one of the tickets to keep. You can`t do that with million dollar bills or goldfish(I hope you meant the Fortune Telling fish Smile ).

Risto
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Problem is we don't have a lotery where I live.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-05-21 20:23, funemagic wrote:
Problem is we don't have a lotery where I live.

How on earth do the poor and the ignorant have their hard earned cash removed from them, then??

;)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
By Taxes................
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1207 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Bank Night is a Killer, and I laugh inside myself about how simple it is. In the beginning I didn't like giving away a lottery ticket, because I play the lottery myself (what if they won 100.000 £ on a ticket I gave them). After doing it a few times, I realise I really don't care anymore - actually now I'll be happy if they win a 100.000 £ on a ticket I gave them (that would create some word of mouth marketing for you). I don't know about you, but if that's the reason you don't feel lottery tickets is your style - then I can only say "it worked for me".

Oh and by the way, I liked the paper shredder idea - what a spectacular sound, but I agree the effect changes entirely with borrowed money, and I think I like the original idea better. However, I'm will think about how to incorporate the Papershredder in a different effect.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
Docc Hilford had a good idea on the "bank Night Plot". In his version, the banknote is also borrowed. I don`t go into details here. Buy the Manuscript "Burn Witch Burn", which is carried by various dealers like Stevens or Hocus-Pocus. The manuscript sells for $ 15.00 and it is a steal for this prize.

The most spectacular version of the "Banknight" is still Fogel`s "Technicolor Chance". This you can use in a theater. It plays really "BIG".

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Ted Lesley
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Where can we find "Technicolor Chance"?

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bank night plot (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL