The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cloth Penetration Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I don't know if this has been done before or if anyone does anything along similar lines, but it's an effect I've never seen as such.

I thought it would be a really nice idea for the opening of a show.

The effect is basically this . . .

Two dancers dance on stage and unravel a large sheet of cloth (material). They then hold it at each side of the stage so that it effectively forms a cloth wall about 6 or 7 feet high, facing the audience.

The cloth ripples slightly, and of course there'd be appropriate music, and the magician (star of the show), penetrates the centre of the cloth - walking right through it - much to the amazement of the audience.

Well, that's the effect. As I say, I've never seen it done before, and I've no specific idea as to how it could be achieved (although I've a few thoughts on it).

Any comments on possible methods, or even just what you think of the idea would be appreciated (although nicking my idea to use yourself wouldn't Smile )

Look forward to reading any responses.

Best wishes,

Brian
Brian
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I've seen it done, although not exactly the way you mentioned and it is a relatively powerful effect. And if nothing else, it is definitely different!
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Thanks. I thought it was something different which I guessed would have a good impact to the start of a show. I think careful thought would have to be given to as to what followed it, and as to the method itself so as to make it baffling.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Doug Henning opened one of his TV specials with that. His dancers had a fireman's "trampoline" (the round thingy they catch people jumping from buildings on) which they showed all around. They then held it in a verical position, NOT TOUCHING THE FLOOR, MIND YOU, and Henning burst through the paper. A great opening effect.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There's a peripherally similar effect in the illusion collage video on the website of Jack Stephens (Magic Café' handle "Illusion Jack"). He might give you some suggestions.

http://www.jack-stephens.com

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yeah, but Henning's was a production, breaking through the "cloth" like the covers on a tamborine production. I think what Trickster has in mind is a penetration effect, not an appearance.

David Blaine could do it, like when he reached through the glass window on TV. Oh, yeah, I forgot ...his magic only works when he can use camera tricks. Foget I said anything ...
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Hahahaahah... David Blaine could do it... good joke!! hhahaha

But seriously. Brian, something important before proceeding with this effect. I think you should keep in mind that you really have to convince the audience that you didn't just walk up from the back of the theater when the assistants were holding it.

Here's an idea of how the effect might play out if I designed it. You can laugh at this... and the utter simlicity of it too... but I LIKE it so there... hehe

Two assistants come on stage and do their little dance number which includes openly showing the cloth on both sides and staying away from the back of the theater when the cloth is held up, at least a foot above the ground so that the audience can see beneath it. Next the cloth is held in front of lights which seem to illuminate the white cloth. One light is on the left side and the other on the right side. All of a suudden, in the middle of the cloth the audience sees the shadow of a hand appear and immediately start pushing on the cloth. Then the rest of the shadow of the magician appears and then... BAM... he breaks through.

Oh I love lights and cloth work. It's so.... interesting. Granted, you'd have to spend time figuring out angles and such, if you know what I mean, but that would look neat. Interesting concept.

Keep up the good work,

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
You are gonna need a lot of spandex to begin with Trickster.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Waitaminute! Unless I'm mistaken (it wouldn't be the first time), Magictrickster's original idea was that of a PENETRATION, *not* an appearance. Everyone seems to think he was refering to a "sneak on" appearance, but that's not what the posting nor the heading states.

Re-read the post ... he describes an osmosis effect, mysteriously passing through the cloth, not "breaking" through it.

Correct me if I am wrong, Trickster ...
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Yeah - the idea is of a PENETRATION where the magician magically appears to penetrate through the material.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Gotcha. I misunderstood what you were looking for. The way you first described it, the magician wasn't part of the equation until he penetrated the cloth.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Exactly...think "Walking Through A Mirror" with no frame, and no mirror...just cloth. It gets a great response!
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Marco Tempest's act might give you some ideas trickster.
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
Sounds like a great idea. I'll think on it. I know how you feel. I come up with awesome ideas all the time, but just get stumped on how to do it. I would be very interested in the method to this. Another thing I could probably use.
The great Sandwich!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cloth Penetration Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL