The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Leaving the stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi Everyone!

Someone at 'All tied up' suggested I post this here...

I've been cuffed and put in a mail bag, and a hula hoop cloth thingy is put around me. Once out, how can I secretly leave the stage to appear from somewhere else?

Keep in mind that this will be performed on a stage with no trapdoors.

Thanx for the advice!

django
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
See the black art work of Ralph Adams. GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Django:

Since this is an open forum, we can't put a secret this technical on it. I'll PM you with some ideas, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Watch the TV special Robert Gallup had back in the 90's. He did something similar during his sub-trunk effect. It's easy, smart and very effective.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Django,

I was talking to someone about something similar some time ago. A good idea we came up with is a mix of black art and volunteer participation. The reason for this was that the particular venue the effect was going to be played in was not 100% black art compatible... only like 70%. SO we used the volunteer as misdirection. I still can't believe it worked. But that was rather complicated and I shouldn't venture to do something like that again. But perhaps it might be of some use to you.

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Someone mentioned the use of a 'small' movable staircaise which I liked. I'm just not sure how fast I'll be able to get out of the bag. Maybe I'll start a thread to find the fastest mail bag escape...

django
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Here's a suggestion.... Sack-X. I haven't actually used one but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. Might be worth looking into... but what do I know?

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have a Sack-X and will have to admit that I have never used it on stage. Instead of the Sack-X that I just found to be too heavy, we use custom made bags that are flashy, light and much cheaper. The ladies especially have the toughest job. Magicians get out of the bag. The ladies have to get into the bag in the dark and in a hurry. (I sure am glad I am a guy!)

It sounds like what Django wants to do is what Lucy and I call a "walk around". We vanished the magician and a horse appears. Then the horse disappears and both the horse and magician reappear in the back of the theater. Whatever appears on the stage is a function of whatever the show is for (city officials, zoo staff, Miss ______, CEO, The Animal Shelter's (costumed) Spokes Dog, the TV station's weather lady or sports guy, etc.) We do this with a screen or curtain. If the show can afford it, it is certainly worth while to have a guide or usher with you. Changes in lighting can cause real accidents. We use a real drummer even with recorded music. The drummer can really work the audience for this. Likewise, a great lighting man is important to this type illusion. Timing is everything (another reason for the drummer).

Bill Palmer should be a great coach for this. Don't ignore him. This is staging. Not everyone understands it.

Good Luck!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Leaving the stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL