The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Outsider Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Anyone interested in things with an outsider edge to them should check out the work of Matt Sesow at http://www.sesow.com. Be sure to check out his bio. I met Matt at an opening for an exhibit of artists with disabilities and was very impressed. I have been familiar with his work but never met him before; he is a great young guy with a tremendous talent and he works his a** off!

Take a look; he is extremely good at what he does! Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
His style is kind of a blend of Picasso and Van Gogh. Very interesting but a bit on the dark side.
Thanks for the link.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Hmmmmm.....
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Yes Ivan, it is dark but extremely powerful. In person he is a very affable guy but he really knows how to rattle you with his art. Definitely someone to keep an eye on...
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
ChrisS, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but are you being serious with this stuff? Or are you pulling our leg a little? Just wondering.

ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Nope, I'm serious, Firedice! Remember, this is "outsider art"; very raw, emotional, visceral and definitely outside the norm. This kind of art takes some getting used to, and is definitely not for everyone. You look at it from a point of view of color, energy, and emotion. I don't know if you checked Matt's bio; he was hit by a landing airplane and the doctors saved the arm but he lost his dominant hand - calling that a major life experience is a serious understatement.

Like I said, this stuff isn't for everyone (heck, my degree is in art and I don't do this style work!) and it's no reflection on anyone if they don't like it. I just wanted people to have the opportunity to see what good outsider art was about.

... who knows; it might appeal to the bizarre magic people - some of it might even trigger some inspiration.

Best,

Chris
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Thanks for the link. Not my style of thing but I'll give it a more detailed viewing when I have more time.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There was a CD titled 1: Outside by David Bowie back in 1995. The writing process and artistic vision was inspired by 'outsider art'.

Ultimately what matters is if/how a work speaks to you. Whether from the art gallery, the museum or your neighbor's studio.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Well said, Jonathan...
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
My degree is in art too, and I admit, my taste in art is pretty weird. But I just didn't see it with this guy. Maybe it's just me. Thanks for pointing out his bio to me, though. That sheds some light on it.

ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Hey, Firedice; it's the differences in opinion that make the horserace - not everything "speaks" to everybody(myself included!).

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Outsider Art (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL