The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Kid's birthday parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I don't know if this is where to post this, but I couldn't find a better spot.
what do you do with the "know it all" kids (or anyone for that), that you just want to Smile because they don't keep their trap shut???????? they give the ending of the trick away because they have seen it before or they think they know how it is done... or anything. Thank you for the help
Grand Illusions
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
kaznzak
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of kaznzak
No easy answer to that one, but depending on circumstances here are a few of my responses...1} let them predict the ending and then do what ever you have to do to make it end differently, you usually only have to do that once! 2) Use that child as your assistant and have a quiet word - make him/her your partner eg "we know how it works but no need to spoil it for them"...or offer to teach them a real trick after the show in return for their silence now. 3)Mostly they are not doing it to be mean, only to look good in front of their peers - resist the temptation to sucker them though as this has the potential to turn them nasty, and really isn't nice any way.4) I have on occasion asked them to come up and do the trick though - they are mostly lost and if you help them out you become a hero in their eyes as well as the other children.5) Threaten to turn anyone who misbehaves or calls out into a frog - kids usually love this idea, until I explain that while I have learn't the turning into bit really well, I haven't got the book for the turning back bit yet, so it could be a really long wait!
One more obvious thing - if your market is anything like the one I work in they proabably HAVE seen most of the standard/tired old "magic tricks for children" before and are quite right to complain sometimes. Not suggesting that you do it but I recently saw three children's magicians perform at three different public events(went along to pick up some tips on performing!) and was staggered to see the same show three times!More staggered to see tricks performed complete with word for word patter they were sold with, and constant "and now I am going to do another magic trick" fill in from the magician.
I am sure others have much better suggestions, good luck
Kaz Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Great suggestion on not doing the same thing others are doing. For "older kids" b/d parties I include things from my "adult" shows. Such as Red Hot Mama - ( with appropriate patter) I use a sticker as well as a stranger card.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Kid's birthday parties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL