The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Beside Yourself - Peter Loughran (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
This looks like a superb illusion, and it just about makes it into my price range. I've been looking to get something like this for a while now but it's a big investment and I need to be sure of what I'm getting. Now I'm not after methods; I simply want some answers to a couple of concerns. If anybody has this illusion I would appreciate your advice.

Basically after watching the video, I have one major problem with it. There are two edits which could be used to cover up a move that won't be practical in a working environment. They are just after the curtain is drawn and then again just before it is opened. Now to me it is obvious what is occurring here, but I won't mention it in case it isn't to others, or in case I am wrong. However, does the edit cover this move that I suspect and if so how easy is it to do in real time? How obvious is it to the lay person what is happening during the edits? And how long does it take to do?

Also, the other question I have is the shot under the top half of your body; this is a very tight shot of under the curtain and certainly looks impressive, but can you do this in normal performance or was this set up specifically for the video?

I need answers to these questions before I can justify spending that sort of money on something I may not be able to use. If you want to PM me, that is fine; I certainly don't want to get this excellent routine exposed on the forum!

regards,
James Luff
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

- Gregory Benford
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This has been discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
Having looked through that thread I see it has indeed been discussed. However, my main question has not had a satisfactory reply. That being do the two edits cover a secret move, if so, is it an obvious move hence the reason they edited it out and does it take a long time? My main concern is if there was no need for an edit at those points why are they there? I have been burnt by clever editing before and don't want to fall into the same trap again, especially one as expensive as this! Another question was also raised that I didn't think to ask before and hasn't been answered, is there a weight limit?

I also think this discussion is probably better off here rather than the tricks/effects forum as this is an illusion. I hope you can understand my apprehension, it's a lot of money to spend if I can't use it.

regards,
James Luff

- Arthur C. Clarke

- Gregory Benford
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
The illusion was shot several times, and due to the white marker board it washed out the camera even with filters on the lights. So we had to shoot it with dimmer lights than usual.

So when we put the video together we comprised it of the best lighted shots so you can clearly see what is happening. Also it was edited to timelapse the story of the demonstration that I was doing in the video.

The transitions are also put in place for effect and to choreograph the illusion with the music. I can assure you that the movie was not edited to hide anything. That is one thing I am proud to say about my videos. Even though they are of low production value, all my videos showcase the illusions very fairly. In fact, take the Elevator--in one shot, you can actually see the gimmick in action for a split second. But I felt that if someone did see this, it would make them want it even more because then they could see the true cleverness in the prop.

There are many who know how Beside Yourself works and can vouch for the fact that there would be no need to hide anything in our demo. If you are seriously interested in purchasing the illusion I can help you understand how the basic physics of the illusion works, and you will then understand that what you see is what you would see if you were actually there. And again, like with the Elevator, knowing the basic physics of the illusion will probably make you want one even more. We don't post this information for the public on our site as I have a lot of laymen who visit our site to book shows etc. So I don't think this would be very fair for our magician clients. We also won't expose these factors on a board like this public either as there are a few people in our industry who have the tendency to steal ideas without buying it from the creator. Otherwise I would tell the world to put this all aside.

Feel free to PM me.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Well said Peter.
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
Thanks for your reply Peter. Please understand it is not my intention to expose anything on this forum. I was suspicious of the two edits and I'm sure you can appreciate why somebody might be. It has become quite a favourite method for selling new effects, the video shows just the good bit but leaves out the awkward set-up, etc.. If you tell me that isn't the case with "Beside Yourself," and that WYSIWYG then I am fully prepared to accept that. Thanks for your time. I'll give this some serious consideration now. Just need to convince the "accountant" that we need to spend that much money on a new "trick." Smile

- Arthur C. Clarke

- Gregory Benford
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Make that a new "illusion" James.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks guys, and like I said James, feel free to email me or PM. I am happy to explain more about method and such for serious buyers. No problem. I want to make sure that there are no misconceptions about this and that everyone who purchases one from me knows exactly what they are getting! I'm not here to make a fast buck. I'm here to build my company for the future.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
Dsilverfield: I was referring to it as a trick in hyphens to try and get over the idea that my "accountant" (notice the hyphens again) thinks all the things I get are just "tricks"... You and I know the difference, but whenever I get anything new, the response is always, "So what new trick have you bought _this_ time?" <sigh>" Smile

- Arthur C. Clarke

- Gregory Benford
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Quote:
I'm not here to make a fast buck. I'm here to build my company for the future.

P.

I can vouch for Peter's service. I've dealt with him a couple of times and his service is top notch.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Jeez man your accountant sounds like my dad did years ago. Just kidding mate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Beside Yourself - Peter Loughran (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL