We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Three ring circus by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 07:14, broothal wrote:
(Except - mine doesn't break, so perhaps we make them differently Smile

Haha. That's good. Does anyone have a way to end with all 3 linked and perfectly clean? I had a way with the Tamariz Crossing the Gaze switch, but then there is no visual link after bunch before. Can anyone help me out?
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
A few things with Sankey's 3 Ring routine:

1) The gaff does not actually "break", it just comes apart. Use an Xacto knife and chip away any residue. or. they can be soaked in Acetone for 30 mins or so then wiped clean. Use a diamond file to lightly roughen both surfaces. It is essential that the surface be perfectly clean. Do a dry run first, the parts are different sizes. Put a drop of superglue on a card and use a toothpick to spread a thin coat (with superglue less is more) on ONLY ONE of the surfaces, then put together. DO NO ATTEMPT TO APPLY DIRECTLY FROM THE CONTAINER! This entire process takes about 2-3 minutes once the surfaces are cleaned. If you do not take care when cleaning they will not form a good bond and will more easily separate. Superglue will bond your fingers together, another reason for applying a thin coat and doing so with a toothpick.
Aside from soldering the pieces together this is the best method. I guess your local jewler could solder the parts together.

2) Will someone please tell Sankey that he is not funny. When he starts with his histrionics I become embarrassed for the guy. I know he is trying but, it is too much over the slapstick edge for me. He is not funny! Somebody pleeeease tell him. My opinion is prejudiced I admit, I just don't like the funny stuff, some guys can get away with the humor, I can't and neither can Sankey. When he is actually teaching he seems like a nice enough fellow.

3) It will take practice if one is, as I am, not used to palming coins, but the effect looks devilishly clever and it does look like magic. the slights are well thought out.

4) The DVD contains a generous number of extra effects, all of which are very good.

I wish me luck with practicing this one.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 23:23, Richard Lucas wrote:

2) Will someone please tell Sankey that he is not funny. When he starts with his histrionics I become embarrassed for the guy. I know he is trying but, it is too much over the slapstick edge for me. He is not funny! Somebody pleeeease tell him. My opinion is prejudiced I admit, I just don't like the funny stuff, some guys can get away with the humor, I can't and neither can Sankey. When he is actually teaching he seems like a nice enough fellow.

4) The DVD contains a generous number of extra effects, all of which are very good.

I wish me luck with practicing this one.

I agree with you Richard.

I love Sankey and think he is a creative genius and a marvelous teacher but I do not like his performing style.

IMHO it takes away from the beautiful magic that he performs, I’ve always felt that he should perform like he teaches, but I guess that’s just not his style.

The DVD comes with a lot of bonus material and it is real good stuff that he could of put on another DVD all by it’s lonesome.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The only thing I would change, is the tendency to use bad words (!)...I mean, I'm no prude by any stretch, but kids may be watching. There may be ladies present while the tape or DVD is playing. I would not want to do something like that, and have someone offended by something I said on a recorded medium. I'd be bummed.

That's really my only gripe, and that seems to have been cleaned up. My "3 Ring Circus" and "No Card Tricks" DVD's are rated "PG" at worst, so maybe the bad language is a moot point (I hope so).

Richard, the histrionics doesn't work for me either. I've been told when I "just shut up and perform", I'm at my best. I have a rather twisted mind, and my sense of humor...well, let's just say it doesn't work on THIS planet, LOL! Smile

Doug
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
Richard;
Before you say Sankey is not funny,, try seeing him at a lecture. I have several of his videos and his humor in them is "so-so". However, I seen him at a club lecture about 3 years ago and I about died laughing. My sides actually hurt from laughing so hard.
For what it's worth,, your milage may vary ....

Paul
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I thought that's the way the lecture would be but I was disappointed by his lecture. It was the only one I've ever been to where I bought nothing.

Seems like he's flooding the market with magic store tricks, most of which are one-offs of other tricks of his which are one-offs of old classics.

I think he has great talent and just went off in the wrong direction (for my taste). He's invented great stuff before but I'm not sure anymore.

That said...

Sankeytized II is a gem of a video if you do not have it. A rare key buy.

Sankey Magic Party? Yuck!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
InZen
View Profile
New user
Singapore
8 Posts

Profile of InZen
For those who lost the gaff (like me), I managed to make a few ones. Juz buy identical key chains and bring one to a workshop to saw it off. However have to superglue it later.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
InZen. If you put superglue on a key and then put it on the ring (thus spreading the glue)it works better. Make the cut after it has dried.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Did that make sense?
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
I just ordered mine - now I will know how to fix it when I receive it, should it be broken.

Bill
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3262 Posts

Profile of warren
Check out the jay sankey live video it's very funny plus it's got some great practical magic.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
I made backups using rings that are made of round wire just like the rings I recieved from Penguin Magic. Some hardware stores have, however, almost identical rings wound from bands with flat surfaces touching. I bet the glue would hold these broader flat surfaces tighter and such rings would avoid brakes to which the round-band rings often succumb.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've gotten this down pretty good. This is one of the best linking ring routines I've encountered (besides the classic 10-12")...

I've added a few touches:

Have extra rings in your pocket (they're cheap!) 2 of them linked and three linked...along with the gaff and other loose ring, and a few subtle switches, I have received GREAT response! I let one person have the linked three, and she still is playing with them, trying to figure them out! LOL!

Long live Jay Sankey (and his wacky antics!)!

Doug
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17061 Posts

Profile of joseph
Cool, and try using some of the Ogawa ring routine with these small rings, since it seems there is no limit to what can be done....go crazy.......
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

It sounds like the gaff is the same as a regular set of rings.

Is this just a regular set of 3 key rings, one of which is a key-key ring?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Absolutely, Frank...

Everyday objects, AND...by a subtle utility s***ch, ALL rings are examinable...making it much more deceptive than the regular Chinese Linking Rings...

Jay Sankey's routine and the extra stuff on that DVD make this a VERY good value!

Doug
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Not a bad idea. I love the ninja rings but I can see where this has its place.

Thanks Doug.

Frank
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Its easy to break.
I personnally avoid Mr Sankey's stuff.
Kind Regards,
JP

http://www.joaopedroso.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The replacement set that Maxwell (Penguin) sent me appears unbreakable. I dropped the gaff (accidently) on the sidewalk yesterday and it did not break! I grabbed it before anyone could see it, and continued.

Round two happened at work again, yesterday...performed it once again on one of the supervisors, and gave out the linked three for him to keep...

He's a know-it-all, and was absolutely astonished! The words "impossible" and "spooky" were being muttered as he walked away, trying to undo those keyrings...HA! Love it...this packs small and plays VERY big...and ya know, guys, I never woulda thunk...but after I showed this for the first time, I'm a believer...Jay Sankey material or not. I've got my own "moves" and switches for this...

Yes, PLEASE avoid Sankey stuff! YESSSS, ha ha ha ha!!!

MINE...ALL MINE!!!!! (insane Sankey-like laughter and cackling fading off into the night) Smile

Three Ring Doug
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I've been performing a linking key-ring routine for years, and one thing I've found out is, that when I give the 3 seperate rings for the spectator to examine at the ends, they always try to link them the normal way. Maybe to see how fast it can be done.

So, what I do now is, I take advantage of it. I say "behold, while the rings has been in YOUR possesion they have magically LINKED in YOUR HANDS" and I applause the spectator. Of course, this one spectator knows that he linked them manually, but the rest of the crowd sees a marvellous effect Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Three ring circus by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL