The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind, Myth & Magick problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Have recently bought this book and I am loving it. The only problem I have is that it is too big to read comfortably in the bath or on the toilet...!!

I am concerned about all the wasted hours. Smile

What a great book!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6447 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Not one minute will be wasted by reading this book. I read it once a year and always get something new from it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Read it when driving to work.
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
I use it as a doorstop. If I am totally honest with myself, there's very little real world stuff in there that I would use and consider it more of a reference than anything else. It would be interesting to see how much of it others have taken and actually used.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
MMM is great.
Also to me the book is more like a reference- and study book rather than a routine book.
I really enjoy TA Water's thinking and philosophies, and have it like Greg on my reading list once or twice a year.

However, I have only performed one single routine from it regularly, - the room service routine.
The routine in itself, the pattern/story included makes interest and great entertainement if you do your homework on it.
It is techniqually very easy to do, - the rest is pure presentation.
Compared to other, markedet effects, priced to 100$ or more, the investement in the routine is modest.
Most of you probably already have what it takes to perform it

I included a choice of the hotel (not only the floor- and room number) which wasn't mentioned in the original routine. To me, that was an improvement.

Sven
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Although I have never used anything from this book - and probably never will - I think it's extremely useful because T.A. Waters makes you THINK about what you're doing.
If you agree with him on everything is something else, but the essays in the book are thought-provoking.
The effects were rather disappointing(to me), but who am I to judge .
I must say this was one of the first books I bought and in the beginning this confused me, because I thought the effects in it were standard mentalism.
I'm over that now and I often re-read the book.
Just my 2 cents
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I use it as a booster seat for my two year old.
Just kiddin.
One of my favorites.I have at least 10 bookmarks
in there I'm working on.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6447 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Darko, I have used several things from within that book, but admittedly I reworked them, but I did get the ideas from inside. I actually fried a roomful of magicians with something in there that I reworked which involved a sort of tossed out deck with their own cards.
Greg
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I've read this tome 3 times and think MM&M is a wonderful book with only one shortcoming. The INDEX!

The names of the effects, many times, don't give you a clue as to the effect. After many months [days in my caes :-(] go by, it's difficult to find an effect based on the creative names given them.

Ted (Leondo)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6447 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Ted, that is true. I've noticed that from reading it so many times I've come to know many of the effects so it becomes easier to find them. But his penchant for naming his effect with weird words and phrases doesn't help matters
I know it sounds like a waste of time to some, but I've gotten so much out of rereading certain books. I know a lot of guys that buy a book, read it once, then go onto the next. I have a few books that I read at least once a year and the list gets bigger every year... presently the list is MM&M, The Magic of David Berglas, 13 Steps, Stunners Plus, Psychological Subtlties, anything by Max and anything by John Riggs...those are the top favorites, but I have lecture notes and other booklets that I will review from time to time. I'm amazed on how rereading something will bring up new ideas or make you change your mind on what you once thought wasn't a good idea and now becomes something useful. Oh, I've recently started reading all of Magick, but that is such a lengthy work that it will practically take a year to get through and then I'll have to start again... but talk about something that has so many ideas that your head is going to hurt.
Greg
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
You are making me jealous Greg. One or two of those books are ones that I can't get dang it. Like the Berglas. Much more than I can afford dude.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Salsa Dancer,I can relate to your problem.Even reading in bed is difficult.But I have the same problems with other books:The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley,Art of Astonishment,Greater Magic ect.
Andre
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I'm raising the dust with this comment: this was my least favorite mentalism book.
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Salsa:

I have two words for you:

diaper
catheter
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
David,

Why? Also, what are your favorites?

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
For me, just too much filler that I wont use. there are some good things in there, I just thought the book was too big for what it contained. favorites include Annemann, Corinda, Magick and others that are slightly below the level of these
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Quote:
The names of the effects, many times, don't give you a clue as to the effect.

Perhaps the solution is to create your own index with your own names.

Marc Climens
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Forgive my naivety, but does this book cover a lot of work on ESP effects and card related mental effects?

Dave
David
Steven Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Wrexham, North Wales.
191 Posts

Profile of Steven Evans
It covers just about EVERYTHING!

Greg-
You are 100% correct, re-reading your books will always teach you something new and wil save you a lot of money.

Your list of books to read once a year is almost exactly the same as mine, which is a bit weird.
'The impossible I do immediately;
Miracles take a little longer'
-David Berglas.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Has anyone ever created a reference/index for MM&M?
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind, Myth & Magick problem (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL