The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Gaff help (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Any idea which trick this gaff belongs to or what's the use of it ??

Its a non expanded shell and "insert" with large hole in it.

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3605 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Looks like a karate coin, with a shell to hide the hole.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Thanks Michael,

My first thought was a finger through coin but never seen one that uses a shell. The hole is right size too.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1901 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Mehtas wrote:
Thanks Michael,

My first thought was a finger through coin but never seen one that uses a shell. The hole is right size too.

Are you sure they are part of a set and didn't just happen to be together?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:

Are you sure they are part of a set and didn't just happen to be together?

Got it in a job lot of coin tricks. This was a stand alone gaff that doesn't seem to go with any other gaffs that came in the lot. I can recognise all the other gimmicks apart from this one.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2598 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thinking a karate coin too.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5258 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
Thanks Michael,

BTW, finger through coin IS a Karate coin!

Jim
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Joel Givens had a routine in Magic Magazine using a [ and a finger gimlet. I saw him perform it at a Magi-Fest way back in the 90s. I don't recall what issue of Magic, but hopefully this will be a jumping off point for those interested.
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8346 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Happy you mentioned that Jamie, as I have never seen a [ for the Karate Coin, but I agree here with others that it certainly appears of that genre of effect, especially with the finger gimlet. It looks just like the one I made years ago and use to this day.

Though the [ would help hide the whole, a better way to do this is by instead of using a shell, to just use another regular coin...That's the way I did it when I put out my Crimp Karate Koin, then that way you can actually hand out the coin if you want, or at least show it much more cleanly. Just my 2 cents!
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
Marion, wouldn't it be your $1 not 2 cents? (I assume you use halves not pennies.)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8346 Posts

Profile of Mb217
🤣
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
12 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
It is in talk about tricks volume 2 by Joshua jay I believe (the givens routine)
manreb
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of manreb
The gaff is shown on page 88 of Session The Magic of Joel Givens and yes it is used in a Karate Coin routine,
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Thanks manreb and Poor dini.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8346 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 13, 2019, manreb wrote:
The gaff is shown on page 88 of Session The Magic of Joel Givens and yes it is used in a Karate Coin routine,

Hey Manreb, is there a video of this anywhere? I'd like to see the presentation of it. I used to hear some good things about Joel Givens. Smile

manreb
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of manreb
Unable to locate any except for some card work, check Vanishing inch website. Checked out his Facebook but to no avail.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8346 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks, was hoping to see this somewhere. Seems like it would be a good effect, but interesting that it's not something that's at least recorded on video somewhere by someone that thought it was something worthwhile. I remember seeing Eric Jones' version and thinking it was the best version I had seen in the genre...still think so.

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1986 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
Any idea which trick this gaff belongs to or what's the use of it ??

Its a non expanded shell and "insert" with large hole in it.

Airship Magic used to make them that way, until I developed a tooling system to make more realistic ones.
Todd Lassen used to make them like this too, but I'm not sure about a shell for it.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26852 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Check The Jean Hugard coin magic book Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Mehtas,

If you have David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, read pages 34, 35, and 36.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Gaff help (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL