We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Corner short deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I have recently been fooling around with a deck where I have every card corner shorted. Dries anyone know of any sources of effects or routines with such a deck? Thanks
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Every card being corner shorted doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you had every other card corner shorted and put half of a one way force deck in every other spot you would have a makeshift Svengali deck using corners rather than ends. I personally can’t think of anything needing more than 2 corner shorted (one card corner shorted on pip side one card on non pip corners) that would serve as two key cards. I do have a deck I made with those two corner shorts plus two scalloped cards (one long sides, one short ends) thus giving me 4 key cards allowing me to do things like blind cut to a perfect Royal Flush.

The only other use I could think of for a whole deck is that you have a ready made replacement card (already shorted) for your next 52 decks.

I assuming they are all corner shorted the same way (ie: pip corners or non pip corners). Is that how they are?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Poof, I appreciate the response,but disagree that it does not make sense. I have all cards exactly treated and when all together, deck is easily examined. With the work facing me, a chosen card that is reinserted in the opposite direction sticks out like a light only to me. I have been working on an effect that has a premise that a card can be easily located by a mathematical formula despite the number of cuts and shuffles that the deck has been subjected to. I cut deck and I have cut to the chosen card. It goes faster and faster with more and more cuts. On a rare occasion the pickup causes the chosen card not to show as I have picked up another card below it. It just occasionally happens the faster you go through the cuts and reveals. The chosen card is invariably one away. This is passed off on the fact that sometimes the formula causes a decimal answer that can cause my count to be screwed up.It actually helps spectators believe that some weird math is going on. With this deck and chosen card in opposite position, no need to hold break and deck can be tabled with no weird step. It makes sense to me.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
So, it sounds to me that you only shorted one corner on each card rather that the typical 2 corners (opposite). Thus you have simply made a one way deck using a single shorted corner as the one way feature? If so, there is a lot of literature out there on “one way decks” and routines for them.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Corner short deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL