The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Is this an ok street arsenal for me to work on? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
I was thinking about starting to try out some street magic this summer, and I made a list of some tricks I'm confortable with to try to do in the summer, what do you think ?

The B-2 bomber
The 3-in-1 quarter
Invisible thread
Leaving home
biddle trick
Daley show
Color monte
2 card monte
Here then there
Ambitious card routine
Invisible deck
Pyro perception
Back in time
A questionable trick
D'lites
Fade away
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
Without careful scrutiny, will you be doing this at night? D'Lite will not be a good trick for daytime.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Where do you intend to set up?

How do you intend to draw a crowd?

How many people will you do a show for?

Will you be passing the hat?

Are you talking about a sidewalk show for a few folks that you will try to attract?

The only real problem I see with teh effects you chose, depending of course on your expectations, is there isn't a "wham, Bam! Wow! Isn't that the Most amazing thing you ever saw", closer.

What is teh structure of the show? Does it build to a climax, or is it a series of tricks that goes on until it ends?

Usually if that is the case, you can start with any one, and end with any one and not really make an impact. And not make much money as a result. But you will get some practice on those effects, so it isn't all bad. Sometime I do magic just for practice too.

But a street show isn't about the effects. It is about the structure, routine, and climax.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.

If you can aswer some of the questions, we can give you better advice.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
Yes, I intend to perform at night at a city in Portugal called Lagos, it's a kind of a vacation city where people just go to have fun and beach during the day and go and have dinner, or an ice cream and see the performers that are around, I've never seen a magiccian tough, only a good juggler, a kind of a clown and some musiccians (sp? ).
Thanks a lot David, unfortunately, I haven't been able to arranje the tricks in a way that they have a logical pyramid in strenght and a closer to finish. I don't intent do pass the hat yet. Would d'lites draw a crowd ? Maybe long distance spinner ? Maybe 5-15
people. I intend to do it in the middle of some busy street. How is your show structured David ? Thanks for the advice.
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
Blitz .... someone may not agree with me but you want something that is magical but not "Magic" to attract spectators. In other words what if you had about 10 or 20 butterflies flying around you ... I can gurantee that would attract. So I suppose my definition of magical would be a spectacle not seen every day. Think BIG! Pack Small .... and WOW them!

You are more than welcome ot email me for some more in depth brainstorming about this topic.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
If you are not going to pass the hat, I suggest that you might pick up some advice in the Street Magic forum.

This forum focuses on busking, which by definition is a lot about passing the hat.

My show is very simple. But the structure is different from what I see you doing, form your description.

My show is about stopping them and getting them to stay and watch, and then reward me for entertaining them. I start with something to get their attention (usually card fans, and losts of talking to them, but at night D'Lites do work great, and I have been known to toss a bit fire.)

Then to hold them and entertain them while they are "waiting to pay", I do a card trick, and something else intersting - maybe rope, or silks.

Then I do the Finale! I do a three ring routine that has lot of audience interaction, and the routine itself builds, and I close with the rings, and then I pass the hat!

A couple of effects that do draw well at night on a crowded srteet such as you described are D'Lites, and Jim Pace's, "Spinning Lighted Thing" , which is essentially a hummer cards with running lights, is bright and looks very amazing in low light.

Good Luck to you. Steet performing, whether busking or just entertaining is tough, and you have to quick of mind, as well as ocassionally quick afoot. Not everyone wants to stop and be entertained, and you will fed plenty of hecklers who will try to take your "stage." But it is a lot of fun, and there is some money in it, if you do it, and even more money if you do it right.

BroDavid
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
Bro, how do you deal with those hecklers ? What are running lights ?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
You need some material that plays to a big crowd. You have lots of cards and coins. You should be thinking card on forehead or cards across because it plays bigger and Miser's Dream type routine for the coins. The ivisible deck is an excellent choice. Ditch the IT work and go for some real rope - C+R rope and perhaps a professor's nightmare routine. Cups and Balls or Rings...something that plays very big. Avoid 3 card monte because the wrong message could be conveyed to the authorities...unless you get them involved in the trick.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Start with three good tricks that are bulletproof from your skill level and angles... maybe one with audience participation.

Try out various costume ideas too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Blitzchampion,

First of all, you can't go wrong listening to Pete Biro.

Hecklers? They are a personal issue. It depends on how confident you are, how well you handle people, where you are, and the crowd itself. Sometimes, you can ignore Heckers and tehy will go away. Sometimes, you make them part of the show, and sometimes you have to deal with them in a more direct way. I have stopped a perfromce before, telling the crowd, that I really want to continue, but this individual is being distracting beyond my ability to go on. And the crowd booed him out.

But do a search here for Heckler, as this topic has been addressed by the best, and there is some real good advice here.

"Running lights" are any light that is on the outside of a vessel (typically a boat) that comes on to define the shape of it and avoid collisions at night.

I was using that term as a metaphor, and I apologize my use of an ambiguous term.

But if you can imagine a floating spinning card with a light in the middle on each of the ends longwise, that is it.

When it spins it looks like a space craft and the lights look like they go around it in a full circle.

It is actaully pretty neat looking. I got bored with floating playing cards and this thing is way better even in daylight. But at night it will attract some company. I will be using mine to attrack a sidewalk crowd in a college town that is having a festival in a couple of weeks. A freind of mine has a coffee house there and very wide sidewalks, so I will be performing on the sidewalk outside of the coffee house.

BroDavid
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
First off, you need to think about your material in a different way. Let me explain. You are confusing "gimmicks," "tricks," and "routines."

For example: "Invisible Thread" is not a trick.
"D'Lites" really isn't a trick, either.

IMHO, IT is not a good thing outdoors. Wind will kill you. D'lites are bad during the daytime.

The rest of it is too small for a crowd to see, in general. You have to be able to ENTERTAIN a CROWD, not one or two people.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-05-15 17:26, Pete Biro wrote:
Start with three good tricks that are bulletproof from your skill level and angles... maybe one with audience participation.

Try out various costume ideas too.

That advice is how they say, worth the price of admission. Thanks, Pete!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello all

Wow! ...That Bill Palmer, can I just call you Dad?

Listen Guys, This guy Palmer is so full of sound/ Professional advice that we are very fortunate to have some one of his caliber giving "Real world" advice... for FREE.

Listen Blitzchampion, find yourself two quick tricks/effects just to draw in a crowd, then go into what ever your most comfortable with; cards, Coins, Nudity (Joke). But seriously, try to find some material that plays big, or loud... "The Linking Rings" for example... Then go into your closer. Which for many is the Cups & balls; a tried & true timeless Classic...when done well.

If your just starting out ..Don't put to much pressure on your self & remember to Learn from your mistakes.

Keep passing the hat

Michael Lee
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-05-16 20:46, Michael Lee wrote:
Hello all

Wow ! ...That Bill Palmer, can I just call you Dad!,

Listen Guys , This guy Palmer is so full of sound/ Professional advice that we are very fortunate to have some one of his caliber giving 'Real world " advice... & for FREE.

I was hoping to keep that a secret. Smile

And people have always said I was full of it.

Seriously, let me add one more suggestion. Use audience participation, at least during the middle part of your act. The more people that you handle well and treat gracefully during your act, the more kindly the audience will feel towards you, and the more money they will put into your hat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
Thanks for the advice everyone. That was what I was discussing with a friend of mine the other day, I was saying something like, "the ID is good for street, but a crowd won't be amazed by that" and he was saying that they did. The only card trick I can say off the top of my head that can amuse a crowd is maybe the ambitious card.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There are lots of card tricks that play big if you make them.

I have an invisible deck routine that I would most certainly use for a crowd. It comes with my wallets for "Packed Wallet".

So it depends on how you do the effects. Not necessarily the effects themselves.

Here are a few that are great for a larger audience:

Card-to-Mouth
Card-to-Fly
Packed Wallet
Whack Your Pack
Las Vegas Leaper

I would suggest checking out the Jeff Hobson Live video or Simon Lovell MOD tapes or Gazzo Uncensored to see how a real pro transforms a simple card trick into theatre.

Just so happens that all 3 of those dudes do a card-to-mouth but very differently. Check it out.

And Michael Ammar has a great card-to-fly that he did in his lecture. Very entertaining as well. Much different than his ETMCM tapes.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Hope I am not lifting up an old thread here, but does anyone rate the Ammar cups and balls dvds as useful tools in the street performers cups and balls routine, or should I refer to another street specific source?
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-27 18:44, write2david wrote:
Hope I am not lifting up an old thread here, but does anyone rate the Ammar cups and balls dvds as useful tools in the street performers cups and balls routine, or should I refer to another street specific source?

Ammar's videos on the cups & balls are very sound resources if you are trying to construct a cups & balls routine of any sort.

However, Gazzo has a tremendous video of the cups & balls that you might pick up a few important points from. Doing cups & balls on the street can be difficult to do. You have to consider angles, loading sequence, and weather (wind) conditions to name a few. Gazzo does not necessarily give exact "chops" advice (that you will pick up from Ammar), but Gazzo offers EVERYTHING else that is significant to doing cups & balls on the street, I'd say.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5373 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Do effects that don't have to change from day to night. The show is the same so it becomes a focus on performance instead of tricks or magic. To be successful you need to be something, and it better not just be a magician. You will get hungry... Do exactly what Pete said. Read his post over and over. He's telling you to do 3 tricks....THATS IT! Maybe 4...no more. Have a beginning and a middle and an end, come up with lines to make it funny, and work on your performance. Pete said work on your costume...well costume creates character. You need to be something...serious or silly or just funny or a gypsy or something. Pete's advice was strong. Listen to it.
koz
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I just came up with an I.D. bit that would work for a crowd.
Have one spectator pick from the invisible deck, "look at it, don't show ANYONE!"
Pick another person. "Did you see his card? Reach into his mind and try to see the card in his mind...what card do you see?"
If they guess right, great! If not, try to convince the first person that the other person was right.
"How cool would that be if your card was the 3 of clubs? Was your card the 3 of clubs?"
"No."
"I said, HOW COOL would that be if your card was THE 3 OF CLUBS!! Was your card the 3 of clubs?"
"No."
"What show did you come to see? Not this one, it seems."
You can then prove one or the other right, or both.
One trick, lots of audience participation. Can play big by putting one person on one side of your pitch opposite the other person, and the running back and forth between the two.

Sorry, but that just came to me, hope it helps.
Three main tricks, plus some throw-in stuff to mix it up a bit. Otherwise you hecklers will know what is next, "yea there's a lemon under the cup!!"

Oh, if the spot is that good get an act and pass the hat! Why give the idea to someone else? Go for it.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Is this an ok street arsenal for me to work on? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL