The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » European Union and the United Kingdom - To all dealers and magicians (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, lemonjug wrote:
I usually get my stuff from Alakazam. I'll be ordering elsewhere if I have to pay customs duties in the event of no deal. Can anyone recommend a good Magic shop in the EU? One that carries all the newest releases?

Thanks

Yeah, Alakazam
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17394 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Order... Order!
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Exactly Iain what a disgrace and laughing stock our politicians must have looked like last night to the rest of the world. Disgraceful heckling like school kids to the prime minister when we have serious knife crimes happening repeatedly daily all over the UK and they are just acting like it’s a children’s playground, absolutely pitiful particularly when Mrs Mays slogan from day 1 has been “ no deal is better than a bad deal “ .
Also Mark I think you will find that most of the Brexiteers know a hell of lot more about why they voted for the withdrawal from the EU and did their homework far more than the remoaning politicians running the shambles, they are patronising snobs and the Brexit MPs should be the ones organising the exit not the losers of the referendum result.
Most public voting remainers are the ones who actually did nothing as it’s very easy to go with the status quo as people don’t like change. People who wanted change in the vast majority actually knew why they did, Olly
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17394 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I know you're trying to troll, but yknow... Give it a rest please...
DEVIL MAY CARE IS BACK!
http://tinyurl.com/y6n42gs2
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
of the WI having made 5 tier cakes with
4122 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
It will be very easy to ship to and from the EU after brexit regardless of whether there is a deal or no deal. Goods are shipped to and from the EU every single day from every single country, most of whom have no deal with the EU. For a UK dealer sending to the EU may be no different to sending to any non-eu country currently. Worse case scenario a few seconds filling out a customs form may be required as is already required for the rest of the world.

Mark

Hi Mark Hope you are well?

Whilst this is generally true for most stuff magic related. There will be some issues if its things that need the kite mark etc. But that's going to be from manufactured things. My wife works in the aerosol filling industry and if/when Brexit happens there will be issues in their industry. Well, that depends on what the UK decides to do in terms of replacing the European standards. OF course, if they are making products to sell in Europe they will still need to conform to EU standaards. I don't think that those in Government have thought that far ahead. At the end of the day, we don't have any leverage!
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Iain I am not trying to troll at all I am in the majority of UK citizens who voted for a withdrawal of the EU. Best wishes Olly
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Iain I am very close friends with Mark so no not a troll, and to Dave EU standards are far lower than the UK kite mark standards so our goods will always pass their standards. Have a look at the 18th edition Electrical UK regulations they are far safer than our EU counterparts regs. Olly
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
From the EU I should say. Olly
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
of the WI having made 5 tier cakes with
4122 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Oil&Water wrote:
Iain I am very close friends with Mark so no not a troll, and to Dave EU standards are far lower than the UK kite mark standards so our goods will always pass their standards. Have a look at the 18th edition Electrical UK regulations they are far safer than our EU counterparts regs. Olly

It's not if they pass to the standard. It's about having the right to use the marks. There is nothing in place as of yet and who knows if and when it will be sorted. Its not as simple as standards. And the sad truth of it is that UK business are suffering because of it and may well continue to do so. We have nothing to offer them.
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1603 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2019, dave_matkin wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Oil&Water wrote:

It's not if they pass to the standard. It's about having the right to use the marks. There is nothing in place as of yet and who knows if and when it will be sorted. Its not as simple as standards. And the sad truth of it is that UK business are suffering because of it and may well continue to do so. We have nothing to offer them.

Confirms what Oil&Water has said 2 Years on and its a complete shambles

If we can't sort it out after 2 years whats to say we will be any nearer if we have another extention
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3255 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2019, dave_matkin wrote:
And the sad truth of it is that UK business are suffering because of it and may well continue to do so. We have nothing to offer them.

That’s an overly pessimistic viewpoint, we have a lot to offer them. The truth is that we import far more from the EU than we export and the truth is that a huge amount of that stuff we could import cheaper from outside the EU under a WTO deal. We are forced to import a lot from the EU whilst being a member both by regulations and tariffs. Once we can set our own tariffs under WTO rules we would have the freedom to get a lot of stuff from outside of the EU.

Currently Ireland is the only EU country to whom we export more than we import. In addition to this we are the third largest contributor to the EU budget. The UK is the EU’s second largest export market and is only very slightly behind the USA.

Under a WTO deal we get to set our own tariffs and this has a much bigger impact on the EU than it does on us. For us it means cheaper imports and for the EU it means that as well as losing the 3rd largest chunk of its annual budget they will also lose a massive chunk of its export market as much of what we get from Europe will now be cheaper elsewhere. We will also have the freedom to negotiate free trade agreements with many of these countries removing the tariffs altogether. Likewise without a trade deal the EU will have to charge us the same tariffs that they charge the rest of the world so they can’t punish us with higher tariffs.

The EU currently has around a 16% share of the global economy. That means that 86% of the worlds economy is outside the EU and most of them are doing fine without a free trade agreement with the EU. The rest of the worlds economy is growling faster than the EU’s and losing the UK from those figures will drop the EU’s share further and faster.

The problem from the EU’s perspective is that they are terrified of the domino effect, give us a good deal and others will follow, however fail to give us a good deal and the long term impact will be worse for the EU than it is for the UK. Unfortunately we do not have a strong enough leader to handle these negotiations and the entirety of our current political system are too busy point scoring and chasing their own agenda’s to actually make any attempt to sort this mess out. Even the referendum itself was a poorly conceived attempt to counter the rise in popularity of UKIP because they thought the status quo would win and the issue would be put to bed. They hadn’t even contemplated leave winning let alone planned for it.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
A decision is only as good as the information supporting it.

Much of the nationalistic Leave sentiment is rooted in the idea that the UK is an economic powerhouse and that it's being drained by poorer EU countries.

This is a matter of great pride and I understand why it's so important to people so it's unfortunate that there's been so much misinformation surrounding Brexit. It's a real shame.

Many don't know for example that the GDP per capita in the UK is actually quite low. The UK hasn't been particularly wealthy for a long time. The UK is currently at about 44K GDP per capita (OECD). France is about the same. Ireland is at a whopping 80K. Yes many countries in the EU are poorer than the UK, but it is also a lot poorer than other countires: Luxembourg @ 120K.

Was this Germany's doing? Well probably not because Germany is only marginally higher than the UK.

So I don't think the economic argument really stands up under much scrutiny and it's hard to believe that without significant fishing grounds, oil, natural resources and favorable trade conditions, the UK will do better alone than as part of a peaceful union.

Time will tell.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3255 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Much of the information on both the leave and remain side was complete and utter BS both sides lied through their teeth and used fearmongering tactics. This is why I say that democracy is an illusion. It is also ludicrous that it is illegal to lie in advertising but absolutely no law against lying in an election. The fact that we have more protection around what you can say when selling a soft drink than there is around deciding the fate of the entire nation is insane. It does not help that most of todays politicians are career politicians who joined their party based on vacancy and career prospects rather than political conviction.

Whilst the UK is not a huge economic powerhouse it it still the worlds 5th largest economy with Germany being the only EU country ahead of us fuelled in part by its massive imports to the UK. We have our largest trade deficit with Germany and there is a lot we get from Germany that will be cheaper outside the EU under a WTO deal.

I do not think most leave voters think that the UK is being drained by poorer EU countries, I think sovereignty and the ability to rule ourselves rather than being dictated to by an unelected body had a lot more to do with it. Many could see that whilst there is a lot that is good about the EU there is also a lot that is wrong about it and reform is needed but the EU is unwilling to even consider reform.

Whatever happens the UK will adapt and survive and possibly even thrive. Sure there will be short term pain but as we have through our history we will adapt. Incidentally of the worlds largest economies the top 3 do not have a trade deal with the EU. Neither does the 6th or 8th. More interestingly not a single one of the 10 fastest growing economies in the world have a free trade agreement with the EU. Likewise under the EU regulations we are unable to make our own free trade agreements with any of those countries.

It remains to be seen whether or not brexit will happen. However, one thing Trump and brexit has shown is that change is needed in the whole political landscape.

Mark
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1143 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Dear UK friends,
Think twice.
If you DARE to leave the EU, I immediately call back my fellow countrymen Eden Hazard, Kevin De Bruyne, Vincent Kompany, Romelu Lukaku, Thomas Vermaelen, Nacer Chadli, Jan Vertonghen, Moussa Dembélé, Christian Benteke and some twenty others.
Smile Smile Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3255 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Leave Vertongan, Alderweld and Loris, take the rest back and you will be doing me a big favour Smile

Mark
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Take Benteke back please, he couldn’t hit a cows arse with a cricket bat. Olly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » European Union and the United Kingdom - To all dealers and magicians (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL