The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
What routines are good using postcards instead of playing cards?
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
None.

Postcards work well when the theme and presentation fits logically.
I've asked to be banned
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, IAIN wrote:
None.

Postcards work well when the theme and presentation fits logically.

100% disagree. Quite often playing cards are used simply as a way of having a set of possibilities that people are familiar with. There is no inherent value to using playing cards versus picture versus postcards in a vast majority (in my opinion) of cases.

To elucidate, unless you are doing a gambling demonstration, how can you answer "None" to the original question of "What routines are good using postcards instead of playing cards?"

Do you actually believe that? No routines are good using postcards instead of playing cards?! Your answer seems pretty clear and, in my opinion, pretty clearly incorrect.

To answer the original question, here are my opinions of a few routines that are good using postcards instead of playing cards:
Chuck Hickok's Pop Eyed Popper routine (postcards)
Out of this World (postcards)
Memory Demonstration (can't remember if Hickok or Cassidy, thinking Hickok)

Good luck!
-Lem
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
His question is about using card tricks with postcards...

I do not think that is a good or sensible use of the postcards. Its unnatural to handle postcards like playing cards.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And it's called an opinion by the way.

I used to make my own sven postcards, I used them naturally occurring presentations where postcards make sense to use as a selection process.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
On a train and using a smartphone equals poorly written posts...
I've asked to be banned
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
A packet of post-cards and a packet of playing-cards are functionally identical for a prestidigitator. Both can be "handled" in a nearly identical manner.

Post cards lend themselves to personalized reveals, elevating do-as-I-do type routines to something dreamy and esoteric.

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I agree they can...

However, they shouldn't be (apparently I have to stipulate this is my opinion, who knew!)...

I say this because of that exact association. "oh he used and held those postcards just like someone would a deck of cards"
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
So if you're going to use postcards, think about the theme that allows them to feel natural and suitable to the presentation...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For example, why are you limiting the person to pick from that selection of places? You just need a decent reason... Doesn't have to be too indepth...

Otherwise, if you're a mind reader then they can think of any place or country...
I've asked to be banned
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I agree they can...

However, they shouldn't be (apparently I have to stipulate this is my opinion, who knew!)...

I say this because of that exact association. "oh he used and held those postcards just like someone would a deck of cards"

Maybe. I agree that the mentalist should avoid the trappings of magicians.
But handling cards of any type is fairly universal, and not necessarily "magical". No flourishes obviously.

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
This is why magicians should be banned from commenting on the affairs of mentalists. Just because "cards" is part of the word "postcard" does not require mentalists to develop sleight of hand skills for playing cards. Here's an example of how a mentalist might use "post pictures." You show six (for example) large posters of exotic locations around the world. The posters are then rolled up and dropped into a barrel (vertically) where they can be shaken and mixed. Now "post pictures" of those same locations are handed to another spectator, who is told to choose one, put it in his pocket and drop the unused "post pictures" in an envelope. Now someone else comes to the barrel, reaches in without being able to see the posters, and withdraws one poster. The poster is unrolled. It shows Hawaii! "Aloha `oe, aloha `oe,
E ke onaona noho I ka lipo." While singing your best Hawaiian song, you have the other spectator remove the post picture he freely chose, and Lo and Aloha, they match! And no one did any card moves, double lifts, used roughing fluid, or mysterious shuffling.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Iain, ok maybe I should have just asked "What's a good routine with postcards," since I agree that I don't want to do "card tricks" and I don't even want to shuffle them like playing cards. I think limiting the choice by asking the spectator to look at one and I will name it is a strong effect.

Lemniscate, thanks for the suggestions. I do want to do Chuck Hickok's memory test followed by a name the one you're looking at. But the pop-eyed popper requires a special deck and I have the Desired States postcards from Jim Kleefeld, and it is a regular pile of 50 postcards. So I would like to do three tricks with this one prop. I have been thinking of doing an OOTW with eastern vs western states and maybe three way with central states also.

Jim, first I must say I love the magic nook! And thanks for the idea, maybe I can do a prediction and then have them pick it.

Jonathan Manuel Kanter
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:Maybe. I agree that the mentalist should avoid the trappings of magicians.
But handling cards of any type is fairly universal, and not necessarily "magical". No flourishes obviously.

Excellent point that I've seen made here regularly. Banachek, Osterlind and Mavin have done rather well using "common," "everyday" cards in a "common," "everyday manner. *wink, wink*
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Jim Kleefeld's new effect, "Desired State," uses 50 postcards (one for each state in the USA) and permits some engaging mentalism.

George
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
This is why magicians should be banned from commenting on the affairs of mentalists.

Truer words have never been spoken. If only...
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
This is why magicians should be banned from commenting on the affairs of mentalists.

Truer words have never been spoken. If only...

That attitude toward brothers in different branches of the SAME art only divides us and is ill-conceived at that.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's only true if you believe mentalism is part of magic (the same art). I don't and it isn't. Mentalism is part of the mental arts, but of course, most magicians will not see this. Its not an "attitude" it's an understanding.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I see some of "us" are not acquainted with the word "sarcasm." That usually afflicts those who have no sense of humor. The cure is to "get over yourself."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I understood it fine, seems you are having a problem with it yourself, lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL