The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5809 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a free one with postcards:

http://billherz.com/tricks/

It's in the 5th row on the right.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Cool page, the trick is the same as magic safari and Tyler's postcards.
I was looking for a third trick I can do with the Desired State postcards Jim Kleefeld sells, but I think the Hickock Memory test then Desired State with three people is enough.
BTW you can do the magic safari with the states also! Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2019, Robb wrote:
It’s the fatal flaw of all “spectator as mind reader” routines. I think we largely fool ourselves with these approaches. They may “work” but they rarely come off as more than a trick. It’s obvious why. People KNOW they can’t read minds while it’s possible that the mentalist can.

"People" are different.

There are some who believe that the mentalist might be able to read minds. It is fairly easy to suggest to those people that they, too, can read minds and have some sort of unexplainable intuition that will allow them to accomplish unbelievable things like sorting cards.

There are others who do not believe that the mentalist can read minds. They will consider both their own and the mentalst's mind reading as some sort of trick.

I would say that people who believe that the mentalist can read minds, but will not accept the suggestion that they can, too, are rare.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8300 Posts

Profile of funsway
I my experience, every person has some memory of either sensing their thoughts have been read or that they have read the mind of another.

So, their "belief in telepathy" is never in question. The focus is whether telepathy in some form can be controlled or demonstrated at will.

Many mentalists go too far in pushing the expectations of the audience and belief structure. (opinion)
It is possible to demonstrate some heightened acuity on the part of the performer or spectator with overreaching "plausible impossibility."
Unfortunately, such demonstrations are not very entertaining for the masses buying tickets.

Recall that Ormand MMcGill - one of the functional pioneers of stage "mental arts" advised that ALL magicians should shift to a mental demonstration at the end of a show,
since it is a natural progression of expectations from controlling physical objects. Now we have mentalist who desire to distance themselves from conjuring effects
while still milking the audience desire for awe&wonder. (for good reason)

The advice is not whether to mix or not, but to realize that of the mystic arts, mental based effects should always follow physical based ones --
so "mix" is bad, while "merger" or "elevate" might be good. As always, what does your audience of the moment expect? Follow rather than confuse.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Interesting point.

I do try to build the level of excitement during a show with more and more difficult tricks, but I have developed a Cognitive Calisthenics show that juxtaposes visual magic with mental magic to stimulate both the left and right brains. I think with a strong comedy character everyone gets involved at some point and enjoys the whole performance.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Lemniscate
View Profile
Inner circle
2203 Posts

Profile of Lemniscate
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, funsway wrote:
I my experience, every person has some memory of either sensing their thoughts have been read or that they have read the mind of another.

I don't happen to fit this category but this is a fascinating approach, thank you so much for sharing. I will think about this a lot this weekend...

Best wishes,
L
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL