The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, IAIN wrote:
But then it muddies the waters and depends entirely if its a social thing, or a paid gig...

And it also needs a crystal clear reason as to how this person is doing something far bigger than knowing when the phone will ring or be thinking of a song and it plays on the radio etc...

Do audiences believe The Mentalist has special unique access to the veiled world of mysticism, or do they believe the doors to expanded-conscience are open to anyone with the key?

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
But then it muddies the waters and depends entirely if its a social thing, or a paid gig...

And it also needs a crystal clear reason as to how this person is doing something far bigger than knowing when the phone will ring or be thinking of a song and it plays on the radio etc...

Do audiences believe The Mentalist has special unique access to the veiled world of mysticism, or do they believe the doors to expanded-conscience are open to anyone with the key?

depends on your premise/skillset/powers are...
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I agree, but pre-show attendees must lean one direction. Our culture is rife with religious-fervor, mysticism, superstition and luck.
I posit that the average-audience is more likely to believe we are all latent-mystics than that the Mentalist is a singularity.

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, that's country, state and in my case, county dependant ... Uk beliefs are fairly different to the States...
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Well, that's country, state and in my case, county dependant ... Uk beliefs are fairly different to the States...

I hear it's all Fairies, Stonehenge and Celtic-knots across the pond.

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You can't move for the knots...
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1269 Posts

Profile of Robb
Mr. Salk, hate to break it to you, but people are by and large skeptics these days and give little thought their would-be mystical powers. Again, it sounds lovely... In actual practice, there's a lot of resistance to the idea that the mentalist has "powers" (hence the prevalence of "psychological illusionists"), let alone the average person in the audience.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
There are many mysteries in the world our simple minds do not understand, but It does follow that some people are better at art and others are good with math and fewer can do both well. So who is to say that the performer doesn't have a keen aptitude to reading people, body and mind? However I do believe that those that pray on grieving people saying that they are in contact with the "other side" are committing fraud. Fuse lit...
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'd say it's more those that enjoy art don't often enjoy maths, and vice versa... Then there's some who enjoy both and even understand how one helps the other... You just have to look into the golden ratio to see that...
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Ok, but the point is that everyone can draw pictures, some are better than others for whatever reason, so maybe everyone has some psychic ability that with some help will allow them the feel the different cards and separate them.

What do you guys think about a three way OOTW with the East coast, West coast, and middle states?
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Personally, and no offence meant, that's just painful to me... I can't see how I would wanna emotionally engage with that at all...

I want stuff that either makes me think or makes me care, hopefully both...

But, just my opinion... You need to develop what feels right for you, not a general concensus from people on a forum...

I often start with the idea that if I find something interesting, others might too...

Bucket lists are good, most know what they are and travel is one of those bucket lists... I'd go for that personally... There's an emotional hook there...
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

In the USA there is quite a disagreement in the politics of these different regions. While politics is a risky topic to employ, it does touch some people deeply.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
OK, so make it more about politics and tie it in with characteristics and persona analysis... Knowing certain things about people helps reveal how they may vote etc..
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2241 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, IAIN wrote:
OK, so make it more about politics and tie it in with characteristics and persona analysis... Knowing certain things about people helps reveal how they may vote etc..

Terrible idea in the United States right now. Absolutely terrible.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17951 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Make it provocative... Its good to deal with it... Deal with taboos...watch the Roger Stone doc on Netflix and it'll give you lots of ideas on influence and manipulation...
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Robb wrote:
Mr. Salk, hate to break it to you, but people are by and large skeptics these days and give little thought their would-be mystical powers. Again, it sounds lovely... In actual practice, there's a lot of resistance to the idea that the mentalist has "powers" (hence the prevalence of "psychological illusionists"), let alone the average person in the audience.

By and large, I'm not so sure? All we need to do is to look to how many so called "mediums" around the world are getting rich, to debunk this claim.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1269 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Robb wrote:

By and large, I'm not so sure? All we need to do is to look to how many so called "mediums" around the world are getting rich, to debunk this claim.

It’s by no means a large segment of the population that attends these shows. Yes, they do well, because they have a very dedicated and passionate following, but if even 1% of the general adult population (im the states at least) has attended such shows, I’d be surprised.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
SentiMental Postcards by Diamond Jim Tyler is another one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Diamond Jim Tyler is great. I checked out the Sentimental Postcards on Youtube and it reminded me of the Magic Safari I did way back when, but he brings it up to date and adds a super finale. Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's another one that might be of interest:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Postcard Mentalism (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL