The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a fun arts and crafts trick that kids can make (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Hello everyone. I am working with a community schools program during spring break. They have a day they want to have a magic show and some other magic based activities. I was thinking it would be cool to have the kids (from K-6) make a magic trick. Something mostly self-working that they can bring home. Looking at making things out of paper, string, glue, and other school / easily obtainable and workable materials.
What ideas or resources are out there that I can consider?
www.christopherwiehl.com
www.syracusemagic.com
Syracuse Magician Christopher Wiehl.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
598 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
You might check out the Magic Nook (?) Lot's of DIY effects that seem fairly easy to make... or try searching for Julian Mather's youtube videos.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Sorry. Our e-Books are intended only for verifiable magicians, not for teaching beginners. However, check with the school library about what children's magic books they have available and teach the kids something from those books. The magic world will survive if they learn to make the stretching "boomerangs" from paper cut-outs, or produce a tree from a rolled up newspaper. After you are gone from the program, they can still return to the library books you showed them to learn more if they get the "magic bug."
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
548 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Andrew Mayne Wizard School 1 and 2 . I have made a few effects from the vids with my grandsons.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
386 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hello!
1) Two card monte is a trick kids and adults like. The magician shows a red and a black card, puts the black card behind his back, suddenly behind his back is the red card. All you need are four cards and some glue.
2) Clip card is also good. The magician shows five cards, in the middle is a black card. He turns the cards around, puts a paper clip in the middle, turns the cards around, suddenly the clip is at the wrong position. You need five cards, a paper clip, some glue.
Maybe use the search engine (TEACH in the headline in this part of the forum), there are lots of good threads with great ideas.
Have fun!
Daniel
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I agree with Daniel on Two Card Monte. I've done exactly this in my magic workshops and it's great. The other thing that works well is to buy the plain plastic paddles from D. Robbins. They're about $.14. I have the kids decorate them with little stickers and make up a unique story to go with their decorations. Of course D. Robbins has a minimum order of something like $150, so it might not be possible for you. But you can see if your favorite magic retailer would get them in for you and sell you a bag of 100 for $20. Normal markup for them and still only $.20 a paddle for you. Just buy a few assorted sheets of really small stickers and it works out great.

I'm not sure how many kids you need to do this for, but I think the boomerang is another great option as mentioned above. I would have them precut, though, so the kids just have to decorate with markers or stickers or whatever. I would probably find someone with a Cricut or a Cameo (post an ad in a local Craigslist group on Facebook) to cut out however many you need from white chipboard. Of course this will depend on how many you need. If you need hundreds it might not be worth it. I dunno. You'd have to see what someone will charge you.

Good luck - please report back on how it goes!
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Afghan Bands is a fun one that stays magical, even after they know the secret.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
598 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Sorry. Our e-Books are intended only for verifiable magicians, not for teaching beginners. However, check with the school library about what children's magic books they have available and teach the kids something from those books. The magic world will survive if they learn to make the stretching "boomerangs" from paper cut-outs, or produce a tree from a rolled up newspaper. After you are gone from the program, they can still return to the library books you showed them to learn more if they get the "magic bug."

So sorry Jim - My mind immediately went to you when I thought of DIY stuff.
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a fun arts and crafts trick that kids can make (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL