The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Zealand (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A suicide bomber screaming about Allah and infidels isn't Islam, its murder.
A gunman writing anti immigration pieces and screaming white supremacy isn't political, its murder.
A driver running over people screaming death to all women isn't socio mysogyny, its murder.

Stop giving credit to these lowlifes as though somehow what they do is a reflection on society. It isn't. They're murderers. Bad people doing bad things to people because they want to. That's it.
You give them exactly what they want. I give them the opposite.
I'm done now Ron. The last word is yours.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sorry, one last thing.
By lending your ear to this homicidal maniac, you are indirectly encouraging future evil doers to go ahead with their violent fantasies. They'll want to be heard too.
Stop creating a market for their mayhem.
don't let them emotionally profit from their crimes.
Done.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, they are Murderers and nothing more. And it’s easy to understand why Murderers choose places like Churches, Schools, Etc. There is no threat to them there.
They are cowards and shouldn't be given any air time.

Tom
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There are two ways to "pay attention" to someone like this.

One is for the media and the public to talk about him and give him attention and notoriety - to turn him into a talking point.

The other is for the authorities to investigate the why and how and figure out how to keep it from happening again.

I'm totally against the first and all for the second.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
In responce to George,
I can only snicker:
"The 'authorities' have done a pretty good job of it so far!"

The 'authoritative responce' will be:
more restrictions for the masses.

In my 30 years of 'terroristic experience',
I often ask:
Who has won?

When I go thru airports...
When I walk by a fenced-in school,.or church.
When I see fewer people in Xmas markets...
When I hear comedians change their jokes...

Maybe we should go to the roots,
...give the sources a bit of 'terror'.
They're quite obvious, or?
The patterns are quite common aren't they?

Unfortunately, so the responce:
"The familys will be in ours prayers and thoughts."

,...well that just changes everything.
gallagher

p.s.: What's interesting, for me:
All of these folks,..or should I simply say 'men',
see themselves,....as 'victims'.
They're NOT out there looking for stardom.
They're looking to end something.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The line of thought when I was in the Psychology of Murder class is that people begin by fantasizing about violence, which accustoms them enough to the thought to practice- often on animals- and then it keeps escalating as they become more confident and inured.
Being able to identify this pattern and intervene early seems the most logical path.
But we probably worship violence too much.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, magicfish wrote:

The sad thing is how badly some people want to read their manifesto motives so they can instantly use the deaths to launch into a self righteous political agenda. Case in point.

If I have a political agenda at all it would be to reduce/prevent these sorts of atrocities from happening in the future. And you don’t do that by ignoring what took place and essentially telling people, “move on… there’s nothing to see here.” Case in point.

And…

Let me get this straight. It sounds like you don’t really believe he hated muslims and immigrants – even when he said he did and even when he murdered them. Is that your position? That he killed for attention or fun rather than out of hatred for muslims and immigrants?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
A suicide bomber screaming about Allah and infidels isn't Islam, its murder.
A gunman writing anti immigration pieces and screaming white supremacy isn't political, its murder.
A driver running over people screaming death to all women isn't socio mysogyny, its murder.

Correct – they’re all cases of murder. Each with their own particular motivations.

Quote:

Stop giving credit to these lowlifes as though somehow what they do is a reflection on society. It isn't. They're murderers. Bad people doing bad things to people because they want to. That's it.
You give them exactly what they want. I give them the opposite.

How is having a discussion giving them “credit”?? Makes no sense. And actually YOU may be giving them what they want – tacit approval by not condemning them for their motivations.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Sorry, one last thing.
By lending your ear to this homicidal maniac, you are indirectly encouraging future evil doers to go ahead with their violent fantasies. They'll want to be heard too.
Done.

See previous post.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
I agree, they are Murderers and nothing more. And it’s easy to understand why Murderers choose places like Churches, Schools, Etc. There is no threat to them there.
They are cowards and shouldn't be given any air time.

Tom

I think you missed my point there Tom, but that’s OK.

I agree that they don’t deserve undue air time and ZERO adulation/glorification. But as a society it’s in our best interest to understand what makes these people tick, and how they can be influenced to act out.

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron,

I was agreeing with what magicfish said. Smile

But anyway, you can’t condemn his motivation when you don’t know what it is. Surely you don’t believe he developed a mindset overnight that would allow him to murder people.
It takes some time to become such an evil person.

We can’t force everyone to go to Sunday school, not watch tv, or play killing games all day on the computer. People become who they are overtime. These killers know right from wrong,
they just don’t care about nobody but themselves.

Tom
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Exactly Tom. I do not condemn motivations because I don't know what they are. I condemn the action- which is murder. Why on earth would I believe anything this guy says about his motivation. 76 pages doesn't make it true. Manson wrote waaaaay more than 76 pages.
Kaczynski had motivation.
Holmes had motivation.
All meaningless drivel.
Just criminals who wanted to inflict harm and suffering.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Ron,

I was agreeing with what magicfish said. Smile

But anyway, you can’t condemn his motivation when you don’t know what it is. Surely you don’t believe he developed a mindset overnight that would allow him to murder people.
It takes some time to become such an evil person.

We can’t force everyone to go to Sunday school, not watch tv, or play killing games all day on the computer. People become who they are overtime. These killers know right from wrong,
they just don’t care about nobody but themselves.

Tom

I still think you missed my point. No biggie. Smile

Are you saying that you have no idea what his motivation could have been? He targeted a very specific group of people. He has a trail of online and in print writings that clearly express his grievances. He is a self-described “white supremacist”. What do you think is the most likely reason that those particular people, in those particular venues, are now dead? I don’t think a random killing spree for “attention” would be so meticulously planned out and targeted. And from what we know, this was not a mindset he developed “overnight”, as you say. It had been cultivated for quite some time.

I don’t know what Sunday school has to do with anything. Anyway, are you suggesting that those who go to Sunday school, don’t watch TV, or play violent video games never do anything wrong or commit crimes?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Exactly Tom. I do not condemn motivations because I don't know what they are. I condemn the action- which is murder. Why on earth would I believe anything this guy says about his motivation. 76 pages doesn't make it true. Manson wrote waaaaay more than 76 pages.
Kaczynski had motivation.
Holmes had motivation.
All meaningless drivel.
Just criminals who wanted to inflict harm and suffering.

Please answer this:

Let me get this straight. It sounds like you don’t really believe he hated muslims and immigrants – even when he said he did and even when he murdered them. Is that your position? That he killed for attention or fun rather than out of hatred for muslims and immigrants?

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron,

He was mainly influenced by other mass shooters, one in particularly was Anders Breivik, the far-right Norwegian terrorist who murdered 77 people in 2011,
and whose own rambling 1,518-page manifesto inspired several other copycat extremists.

The ramblings of these killers trying to justify their action is just another way to get attention. But words can’t justify killing innocent people.
These people don’t deserve any mention in the news, that only creates more copycats.

Tom
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
To add insult to injury, there is no death penalty in New Zealand.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Sorry, one last thing.
Done.

I agree. That's why it's important to round up the network before it goes to ground. Very few people are inspired to consider violence by writings. It's usually a political support thing.

About the "manifesto" and video that folks are fretting about. By making it into a "hard to get" item - it's being made into exactly the thing we don't need. These ugly things gain power by efforts to make them forbidden. It's important to inoculate against such things - toxic and blaming - by leaving them in the open. Sunlight is a pretty good disinfectant. Don't create demand by fussing over that product. There are more useful things to seek out and read. Or watch. Invoking censorship of such things just makes the case for what we don't need to encourage.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Very insightful Jon - as usual.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Entertainment plays a part in how people behalf and violent computer games are a relatively new phenomena.

“An "ax-crazy" character is someone who is psychologically unstable and presents a clear and present danger to others. They are capable of extreme violence, whether carried out with a Slasher Smile, insane laughter, speaking in a Creepy Monotone, or out and out murderous rage, and with no way of knowing just what will set them off, which makes them extremely frightening to deal with. This mainly differentiates them from other eccentric characters who may themselves be obsessive, weird or seemingly crazy, but use this condition hand in hand with doing good, or at least not being in the way. However, some formerly established heroes can go through an episode of ax-craziness and still retain their heroic mantle.”

“In many popular cyberpunk Tabletop Games, cybernetic implants cause "humanity loss", reducing your social traits and essentially making cyberware into a form of Body Horror. Too many implants may reduce your character to catatonia or (far more often) Ax-Crazy on steroids.”

Think drugs when reading cybernetic implants and it might tell you why we have "ax-crazy" characters running around.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Ron,

He was mainly influenced by other mass shooters, one in particularly was Anders Breivik, the far-right Norwegian terrorist who murdered 77 people in 2011,
and whose own rambling 1,518-page manifesto inspired several other copycat extremists.

The ramblings of these killers trying to justify their action is just another way to get attention. But words can’t justify killing innocent people.
These people don’t deserve any mention in the news, that only creates more copycats.

Tom

Tom,

Why do you think he was targeting Muslims in mosques, and not, say, Christians in a church? Or even random people on the street?

How do you distinguish between "ramblings" and an honest portrayal of their worldview?

And still unanswered:

Are you suggesting that those who go to Sunday school, don't watch TV, or play violent video games never do anything wrong or commit any crimes?

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Zealand (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL