The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Walk Around Magic for Beginners (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
(If I should look elsewhere, please direct me).

I have a couple of card tricks down. I need a table for them, but I've got my start, magically speaking.

What I don't have is something I can do walking around. My SAM assembly is doing a church thing (I'll be out of town), but I don't have anything that I could do walking around and talking to people. I came across Badlands Bob, which many criticized as more of a puzzle than a trick, but it looked interesting. Some of the older guys do rope stuff and gaffed coin stuff. I do have Presage, a card mentalism trick.

Any recommendations on what I might do? I'm not opposed to buying something up to the $50 range.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Check this thread out.
This is something I carry daily.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4964 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You didn't mention when this church thing is. You said you'd be out of town so I assume your looking to learn some things for the next time. If you have a bit of time to practice, some good walkaround items are out of this world and reversing the aces, both card effects you can do in your hands without a table. You could also look into Hot Rod or jumping gems.

Take a look through the card forums (workers, deckles, gaffed and funky) or Table hoppers and party strollers for some ideas that might fit your skill level.
Where the magic begins
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
The church thing is in a couple of weeks. My daughter has her freshman showcase for musical theatre at LIU-Post. I am talking about next time.

I will check those out as well as the other forums.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2880 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Here are a bunch of ideas from The Magic Nook that are good for Walk Around Magic and that will "stretch your beginner's legs" so to speak.

Hank, the Ghost Hank
https://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-01GhostHank.htm

Blendo Ropes
https://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-0......Fiki.htm

Mind Reading Puppets
https://www.magicnook.com/WIZJ18/wizj18-......pets.htm

The Babushka of Baba Yaga
https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ21/wizj21-04Babushka.htm

Sefalaljia
https://www.magicnook.com/wizTEN/wj1006.htm
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8299 Posts

Profile of funsway
I might suggest adding "Tying the Knot" to the Jim's list from the Magic Nook.

IF it is appropriate for an engagement function or church gathering where marriage is discussed.
This effect combines C&R and Ring on Rope in a heart-shaped box that can allow many storylines
along a marriage theme with as much religion woven in as desired.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
975 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Ravenspur,

I just do card magic ... with very few exceptions ...

Turbo Stick is one of them. Perfect for walk-around magic in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX8Pq_FYqOw

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Special user
Trieste (Italy)
975 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Anyway Ravenspur, let me add just one little thing: I really like your approach to magic, because you really give me the feeling of wanting to take one step at the time, without rushing, without posting here like mad, without wanting to know everything at once, but rather asking just a few intelligent questions only when you feel you're ready for the next step.

BRAVO!

Mark
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
Thanks for the suggestions and the kind words.

Mark, at least half the fun for me is learning about magic. I've immersed myself in things magical, but you're right, I don't want to be a nuisance. I listen to magic podcasts several times a week, which have taught me a lot about how different magicians regard magic. Vanishing, Inc. has a good podcast. Discourse in Magic is another podcast that has taught me a lot. No secrets, but a lot about the art and profession and who's who. Zabrecky, Maven, Kayla Drescher, Carisa Hendrix, are some of the few I remember. Thanks for the kid words.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I don't want to discourage you but I think you will find that walking around with a deck of cards, will have more people yawning than interested. If you can do a card to wallet and can get hold of a "Kaps on Fire Wallet" you'll get the attention of the room each and every time you do it. Just use the old line that if you can't find their card you'l give them the money in your wallet and after the burn say the money burns a hole in your pocket every time. Others here will discourage you from using fire and I don't know how old you are so if under age, skip this advise. But fire, is one of the things that identifies you as a magician INSTANTLY. The fire wallet is relatively safe but it does take practice, to master. What doesn't in our art? The wallet costs about $40us and can be used as a peek wallet, as well.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I'm 55, so no problems with youth!

I'll look into it the Fire Wallet. Today, I stopped by my local magic store and picked up the Turbo Stick. I'm going to invest in a coin casket soon.

I have to say it's nice that I have a new hobby that involves both learning and acquiring things. I used to buy CDs. Now I listen to streamed music. I used to buy a lot of books, and I still read a lot and widely, but my wife is making me purge my library, which numbers in the thousands. I'm selling, donating, and throwing out a lot.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8299 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Ravenspur wrote:
I'm 55, so no problems with youth!

But, what else is old age for?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I'm hoping, it's for fun!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
768 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I'm going to recommend an oldie but a goodie: NFW. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/23

It's very easy to do. Requires one sleight (Elmsley count) in its basic handling. Blows people away every time. You can do it in your hands with no table. You can do it in spectators' hands with no table. Or you can do it with a table. There are literally dozens of different handlings out there. Plus, it's a packet trick so it's easy to carry around.

And even though it used to be a very popular trick, it isn't so much anymore. So not everyone knows it, and I've fooled magicians with it. Someone even asked me if the trick is in my lecture notes. Smile Smile Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Ravenspur
View Profile
New user
Granby, MA
70 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I'll check it out. One of the guys in my SAM assembly uses the Elmsley count in a trick changing card colors.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1618 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I'm going to suggest a book: Close Up Magic Secrets by Diamond Jim Tyler.

There are something like 29 tricks in the book. Not as many as in Mark Wilson or Tarbell, but with more complete presentations. Tyler gives good, workable material that can be performed for one person or a table. Very little of what is in this book uses special props. Some of it is totally entry-level, some is really knacky. All of it is well put together. Any dealer should have it.

Of special interest to me is the ring and string routine. I adapted it to use a large glass bead (I'm a hobbyist glass worker, too), which I wear on a cord around my neck. If that doesn't suit your mode of dress, don't adopt something that doesn't suit you, but you can use the leather cord and a ring, just as described in the book and that doesn't make any difference about how you dress.

If you absolutely must buy more tricks, consider a small chop cup and two hacky sacks for loads. You will want to work on the presentation, though. Far too many people present it as a game in which the participant always loses. If you don't see why this makes people enjoy magic less, I don't know what to say. Tim Dowd has a wonderful routine as a story which is worth seeking out. Scott Alexander has a routine on YouTube. I don't know if either or both is a marketed routine, so I'm not telling you to lift their presentations, but to illustrate how much potential exists with a trick beyond "is it in the cup or in my pocket - nope, you're wrong again!"

Spongeballs are always a good bet, too. There are multiple DVDs out there. You can do some of the basic moves with cocktail napkins for an impromptu version, but I like the foam rubber balls, myself.

I seem to notice that you really like cards. Are you only interested in cards or do you have a strong desire to do a wide range of magic? I myself don't really get much satisfaction from cards, but love to watch a talented card magician at work.

Suggestion, not advice: pick out three tricks you will enjoy doing a lot. Learn those three tricks. Perform them a lot. Add more tricks but keep doing the first three. My own tendency is to semi-learn something, do it a few times, abandon it and move on to something else entirely. The result is not having an actual repertoire to draw on when I want to do something. Instead I have only whatever I've been working on lately because I didn't work to keep a skill in the long-term memory.

-Patrick
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Get Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman. Plenty of cool walk around card tricks.
Melephin
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I don't want to discourage you but I think you will find that walking around with a deck of cards, will have more people yawning than interested.

I have to disagree. When I started with magic, I did a lot of stuff with cards. Always with a great reaction (easy routines for examples like: the Ooh Ahh Bird by Michael Close, 4 Card Reiteration or check out the gag with the King of Hearts coming down and dance by Steeve Martin (not really a magic trick but very funny).

Wether something is boring or not is always about the performer! Anyway great for walk around is always a paddle trick, or sponge ball magic. Important is the involvement of the spectators. Make sure your magic is a dialog with the audience. Never do a monolog (performing for yourself - wich I have seen a lot of magician actually doing exactly that).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Walk Around Magic for Beginners (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL