The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DOUBLE THAT MONEY ! Lloyd Barnes B.Change (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
Ok, so as I was getting ready to check out, I came across anothwr money effect on E. Which one is the better of the two? Ripped and relocated ? Or blind mans bill vanish? Question for Lloyd, but will take opinions from anyone else lol

I own both but haven’t had a chance to go through R&R yet. But two entirely different effects and have yet to perform them so cannot judge by reactions yet. So can’t say which is better. I suspect it will come down to personal preference.

R&R is a much larger investment if you buy refill materials.
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Ripped and relocated is great...its been flooring my specs
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Oil&Water wrote:
I just don’t like the weird V angle of the display.
It’s very apparent you are showing just one half of the back and one half from the front from the get go imo, so never the complete side until the end. Olly

I don't think a spectator thinks that deeply about an effect

Sleepy

I don't either. We worry too much about what a spec is thinking. Nike says it, Just Do It! Fool or be fooled!

If you can give them that gut reaction it doesn't matter what happens after that. NEXT!

When you hand things out for inspection it breaks up the flow of the set and the other folks get bored. Then it becomes a search for only magic you can hand out for inspection and you begin limiting yourself to only that and miss out on some great magic for your audience.

Just one man's (mine) opinion!!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I have to remember that you do a performance in threes and never just one trick where all the heat will be. So do the trick and move on to another one and they won’t be asking “can I see that dollar...”
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
I think you misunderstood me, I have no desire to get things examined.
I just thought the display on the V shape looked weird that’s all, I am sure it slays. Olly
kollo
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of kollo
I would like to see a performance with Euro bills
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, Oil&Water wrote:
I think you misunderstood me, I have no desire to get things examined.
I just thought the display on the V shape looked weird that’s all, I am sure it slays. Olly

I've decided to take the plunge on this (when I get home I will purchase).

but all you need to do is justify it with a good patter line that makes sense. Say...... at a restaurant, "I'm leaving you a 2 dollar tip"-Show them the folded dollar- wait for some sort comment/visual reaction where they see that it's clearly a dollar folded into a "V" shape. then say "I'm just messing, here" do the change and hand them a fiver.
Off the top of my head but I guess my point is cover any restrictions with some great patter that fits the context your presenting it in.

Regards,
j.Ruiz
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Like that $2 tip gag, jruiz0216

Along similar lines, start with a regular $1. Fold it into that V shape while explaining you’re going to turn it into a $5. Put it into your right front pocket. Say, “and, I’m going to make it jump to my other pocket.” Pull a $5 bill that’s folded in the V shape out of your left pocket. “Amazing, right. OK, I know what you’re thinking - you think I’m using two bills. And you’re right.” Now pull the gaffed $1 bill out and hold it side with the $5. Put the $5 away, hold up the gaff. “After all, it would take real magic to do that with a single bill.” Bang.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
So....... I just decided to pick this up along with ripped and relocated . I couldn’t figure out which one I could live without . Looking forward to watching to tutorials and leaving a review .
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

Along similar lines, start with a regular $1. Fold it into that V shape while explaining you’re going to turn it into a $5. Put it into your right front pocket. Say, “and, I’m going to make it jump to my other pocket.” Pull a $5 bill that’s folded in the V shape out of your left pocket. “Amazing, right. OK, I know what you’re thinking - you think I’m using two bills. And you’re right.” Now pull the gaffed $1 bill out and hold it side with the $5. Put the $5 away, hold up the gaff. “After all, it would take real magic to do that with a single bill.” Bang.

GREAT IDEA!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
Quote:

GREAT IDEA!

Yeah, just a little creative thinking always goes a long ways. Smile

And once again, this is a wonderful effect made of some really clever thinking, and worthy of a good look-see & get. Smile

Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
So....... I just decided to pick this up along with ripped and relocated . I couldn’t figure out which one I could live without . Looking forward to watching to tutorials and leaving a review .

*Can't wait to hear what you think of it here, Lonnie. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Qi preview. There are going to be some that strongly disagree with my review. But this my honest opinion.

The effect itself is very visual. Which is the best quality. The things I want to focus on is what Lloyd talks about throughout the tutorial and the practicality for actually performing it. Lloyd mentions that performers are worried about borrowing the bill and having it examinable way too much. I disagree with this view. Take a look at almost any release today. Before people buy it, they want to know if it can be handed out. If it’s examinable. That’s an important piece of magic these days. With any visual magic. I feel that this specific topic was brought up to mask the fact that this is not examinable before or immediately after. Of course you could do a switch. Like with a lot of effects. But this specific one requires you to start in a certain position. Which for me, is not practical. I prefer to be able to pass something out immediately after doing something. That’s just my preference .

Practicality is huge for myself. As it may be for others as well. I tried to justify to myself many times last night that I could make this work and borrowing the bill isn’t important. I honestly could not convince myself that it wasn’t important. Because I feel it is. ( specifically talking for me only ) You start out in this “V” shape position. Which is not a very common position where I live. That is how it has to start. There is no way around this position. It is a bit awkward.

I made my gimmick last night and played around with it for a couple of hours. It is fun to play with. Making the gimmick takes a little time, but I was fine with that. I’m familiar with the arts and craft area of magic. So it was not difficult to make. But.... you’ll have to ruin something “IF” you want to perform this . Not everyone will be comfortable with this. All in all, very easy to make . And very fun to play with. But unfortunately I will not be performing this because imo it houses too many complications and isn’t practical for myself. However, there are and have been others that will not share my views on this and will have no problem performing it. Which is great. And I’d love to hear their performance ideas.

Difficulty-3/10

Visual-10-10

Practicality-5-10

I am a bit disappointed with it. Not because it isn’t good. But because it’s not for me . And I was hoping it would be. Congratulations to Lloyd for putting in the work to make this work. It must have taken a long time to figure out the details .
I know there will be several that will it agree with my review, and that’s ok. I just want people to know that this was an honest review. Mainly focused on my personal preferences.

Have a great day
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Quote:

That’s a great idea for a more formal presentation, I like it!
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
So I decided to revisit this. And I wanted to be able to use this. I’m sitting up late last night trying to put together a way to bring out the gimmick. I carry money on me all the time. So I’ve decided to apply what I normally do to this to see if it made a difference. Being that I always have bills on me, I thought why not put the gimmick in with the money. ( my pockets are usually littered with different coins and bills from the change ive gotten from spending another bill ) I also knew I had to be careful with the gimmick because I didn’t want to ruin or break it. So I stuffed it in between a few 1’s and 20’s. A friend and I went to a local Berista ( which is a place where women serve customers different types of coffee wearing very little . ( don’t judge me, I just really like coffee ) . When it came to paying I pulled out the clutter of bills from my pocket and asked if a 1$ would cover the cost. ( showing the gimmick ) she laughed and said “ not even close “. So I did the change one handed, and she immediately started laughing . As she went to grab another co-worker, I did the switch and paid for our coffees with what she thinks was a 1$ bill at one point.

After giving it some time, I had to come across a specific way to use this. I wanted to be able to perform this because of how visual it is. Not all situations will be like this for me. But the fact that I didn’t want to just up and leave this on my dresser, I actually wanted to see if it could be done in an environment that didn’t have to be social media. I’m sure there will be other people who can figure out more creative ways to prevent this. I personally wanted to test it out in public. It can be done. But it’s situational. If I could request something from Lloyd that could help a lot of us out, it would be of a video of HIM performing this in the real world. Maybe a couple videos. That way we can see how you present it and what the details in the performance are.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Double That Money is one of those tricks where the strength is also its weakness. The strength being that to the audience it appears that they are seeing both sides of the bill before the ultra-visual change. But the weakness is that the bill has to remain folded off-center in the 'v' shape in your pocket. But in fairness, Lloyd offers a number of workable solutions to get into the effect. However, I really wasn't enamored with any of them and feel that the bill would wear rather quickly because of it being stored in this manner. Double That Money is a great piece of visual magic for social media or when you want to truly want to "wow" your audience. But I don't see myself using this at paid strolling gigs where my props take a beating. I would prefer choosing something like Bizarro's "Bill Breaker" (perform it quickly and pocket it before going onto the next effect) or maybe Nick Einhorn's 'Insta-change' where you can immediately hand the bill out to be inspected with only a small packet to palm afterwards. I'm not disappointed with Double That Money. It's one of those right place right time tricks that's technically easy to execute with minimal practice. So, if you have a need for something super-visual this is good choice without having to break the bank.
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
I like to do bill and coin magic. misled is since years one of my favs. in the second phase of misled you fold the bill same v-shape like you do here. I could imagine to perform this change a while after misled and start like "you remember before? I want to show you what happens too me many times during rehersals"... and then to change a v-shaped bill into a smaller one or even newspaper-paper.... "if I would know how its done the other way, I would not be here"...
this way bringing out a v-shap-foldid bill makes sense and is motivated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DOUBLE THAT MONEY ! Lloyd Barnes B.Change (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL