The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic in adult education (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
I am looking for magical effects to brighten an adult education course. Ideally, it should not be a "magic show", but a natural passage from teaching to magic and back.

My brainstorming brought along the following ideas:

* A Q&A act with questions about the topic of the course;
* a picture stack with thematically suitable pictures, and a mind reading experiment with these pictures;
* a book test with a well-known textbook in the field of the course;
* sorting cards with key terms with the OOTW-method;
* a cue cards to poster transformation.

I am still looking for a method for the last one. There is "Newsflash 2.0" by Axel Hecklau, a torn+restored newspaper trick, which includes a cue card to poster version. However, this is rather expensive.

any other ideas for magic tricks in adult education courses are highly appreciated.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
There's little information about it on the amazon website, but I thought I would give it a try and ordered it. Thanks for the pointer!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Paralabs had(has?) a set of picture cards that are marked or cued in various ways.,
and a book of hundreds of ways to use them.

I did not see them on my last trip to their site, but may be just what you are seeking
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The book is essentially about how Lewis Carroll created amusing “Magic Dilemmas” by subverting language rather than objects, in order to brighten up boring lessons. There are a few magical experiments in it which might fit the bill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, funsway wrote:
Paralabs had(has?) a set of picture cards that are marked or cued in various ways.,
and a book of hundreds of ways to use them.

If you're talking about "depicting thoughts", the picture cards are not marked, but a stack, AFAIK. I wonder if the methods in the book work with any picture stack.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are picture cards and actual postcards. You could be right, but I recall in a discussion with one of the original guys there
that at least some of the post cards can be identified from the back and allows for tricks not based on the stack.

Since they have passed on the marketing function, the printed description seem more vague. Originally, the postcards were sold as a stand alone
with the need for the "depicting" book. Now they are listed as an alternative for having the book. So, things might have changed.

You may be able to get to Thomas or Rainier to clarify.

I was going to get a set to use with persons with learning disabilities and they were quite interested in support the educational potential.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2019, funsway wrote:
You may be able to get to Thomas or Rainier to clarify.

I sent an e-mail to Thomas. I'll keep you informed about his answer.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
What are the subjects of this educational course you're doing this in? We might be able to recommend tricks that lend well to those specific themes.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic in adult education (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL