The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, landmark wrote:
Something from nothing? Evidently you're new to NVMS...Smile

LOL

Yes we have proven that, both sides, many times here. Smile

I’m just curious about: How often does it happen?

And if it was only once, wouldn’t that be a miracle?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ooo getting close now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
LOL

I’m just thinking why things are not still just popping up from nowhere if it is possible.

But then I think about the time I saw a magician pull a rabbit from an empty hat. So maybe it can happen.

Tom
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
The closer we look at something, the more we discover it's actually nothing.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does nothing exist?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Good question!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, Roberto Juan wrote:
Good question!

Not really.

Nothing exists means the existence of nothing, which means existence exists, which means that nothing cannot not not exist.

And no, I didn't mistype that last sentence. But then, I'm a foolish man.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Once you rewind all the way back to the Big Bang/rapid inflation, it no longer makes sense to speak of a prior time or of a pre-existing space.

You know this for a fact, or you're relying on . . . I'm so uncomfortable writing this, but I'm compelled to do so . . . faith?
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
And I'm not stuffin', believe you me
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
And if it was only once, wouldn’t that be a miracle?
Tom

Not necessarily. Maybe it's just rare.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
I’m just thinking why things are not still just popping up from nowhere if it is possible.
Tom

Maybe they are. Just not locally, or otherwise where we can see them.

Maybe new Big Bangs and new universes are born every day, perhaps even every minute.

But we'd never know it, because we're here, in *our own* universe. All those other universes would be, you know, *other* universes (separate and distinct from our own, therefore beyond detection by us... at least so far, anyway).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
You know this for a fact, or you're relying on . . . I'm so uncomfortable writing this, but I'm compelled to do so . . . faith?

Presumably the scientists who possess the requisite competency to deem it at least provisionally factual would say that they do so not upon the basis of faith, but of evidence.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, karnak wrote:
...who possess the requisite competency to deem it at least provisionally factual....

Find them and bring them to me, and I'll buy them beer and pizza.

I'm hungry as well as foolish.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
Quote:
Tom

Maybe they are. Just not locally, or otherwise where we can see them.

Maybe new Big Bangs and new universes are born every day, perhaps even every minute.

But we'd never know it, because we're here, in *our own* universe. All those other universes would be, you know, *other* universes (separate and distinct from our own, therefore beyond detection by us... at least so far, anyway).

Oh I’m a big believer in other places somewhere out there that we haven’t seen yet.

And I guess the odds are good they got there the same way we did. A Big Bang and There It Is.

Just makes one wonder what causes all those Bangs, some seem to be saying 'Nothing' causes it.

Tom
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, stoneunhinged wrote:

Quote:
...who possess the requisite competency to deem it at least provisionally factual....

Find them and bring them to me, and I'll buy them beer and pizza.

Presumably you possess the requisite competency to deem such scientists as possessing, or lacking, the requisite competency to deem it (no pre-Big Bang spacetime, at least not in our neck of the multiverse) at least provisionally factual.

But alas, even if so, I cannot afford to bring them to you. I can barely afford beer and pizza myself.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:

Presumably the scientists who possess the requisite competency to deem it at least provisionally factual would say that they do so not upon the basis of faith, but of evidence.

They might.

They'd be wrong.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
Just makes one wonder what causes all those Bangs, some seem to be saying 'Nothing' causes it.
Tom

Some might say that. But others say instead that we simply don't know (yet) what caused/causes it. That does not necessarily equate to "nothing" caused it.

Some say that the Big Bang theory suggests that "nothing" somehow exploded. But others say instead simply that we can trace the universe back to a primordial singularity. We simply cannot go back any further than that (possibly because there *was no* "before that," in terms of time as we know it)

But in any case, it was that primordial singularity that what expanded/inflated -- not "nothing."
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They might.

They'd be wrong.

They'd be wrong to say that they deem it to be at least provisionally factual, upon the basis of evidence?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They might.

They'd be wrong.

They'd be wrong to say that they deem it to be at least provisionally factual, upon the basis of evidence?

Perhaps I missed something here. If so, I apologize.

What evidence do scientists have of what existed before the Big Bang?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Once you rewind all the way back to before the Big Bang one does not find nothing, which be pretty difficult anyway, but absolute zero temperature. Thus nothing instantly becomes something.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL