The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19~20~21 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Evidence" is anything which "tends" to pursued somebody of a fact in issue. Expert evidence is a matter of opinion. While normal witnesses are not allowed to give opinions in court, expert witnesses are. Facts are what the body deciding the issue make of the evidence. There are different types of evidence and while models may not be hard evidence they are often used in courts of law as evidence. Etcetera.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, tommy wrote:
[W]hile models may not be hard evidence they are often used in courts of law as evidence.

Misuse of models also isn't evidence.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Claiming misuse of models can also be evidence but the weight given to it is a matter for the jury to decide.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, tommy wrote:
Claiming misuse of models can also be evidence but the weight given to it is a matter for the jury to decide.

I admire how you play this game.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Models are a wonderful way to confirm your own opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Speaking of evidence, J. Warner Wallace a longtime homicide detective, who has investigated a number of high-profile cold-case murders and sometimes featured on
Dateline (NBC) has several good books and videos on the subject.

https://www.coldcasechristianity.com/

Tom
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
1. No replacement. Just a belief that something created our known physical world/universe.

You still haven’t given a definition of this “Divine catalyst”.

Quote:

2. I understand the reverse engineering of the expanding universe into an eternally dense singularity. Still doesn't matter. How is it possible? Gravity may be what held it together, but doesn't come close to explaining how it is conceptually possible.

It’s possible with gravity. You can’t conceptualize condensed matter? And how is that any less conceptually possible than a “Divine catalyst” (whatever that is)?

Quote:

3. Correct. Nobody knows what created it.

As I said, “created” might not be the correct word. “Formed” may be the better term. At any rate, it’s true that nobody knows. Nobody. The mistake would be to fill that gap of ignorance with one’s pet theory in order to avoid the discomfort of not knowing.

Quote:

4. As a human, it will always make sense to ask, what was before it. Time or no time. How can there be no time? Nobody knows.

IF there was no time, then it absolutely makes no sense to ask what was before time. It’s almost like asking who played chess before there was chess. Makes no sense.

Quote:

5. I disagree. I opine that it is unknowable.

Are you referring to the origin of the universe?

Ron

1.oh I can conceptualize condensed matter just fine. But that isn't just it is it? There is plenty of condensed matter at my workplace, but it isn't about to explode and start an impromptu universe. Larry from shipping and receiving may argue to the contrary.

That’s a false equivalence. The state of the matter at your workplace is not the same as the highly compressed matter of a singularity. I bet even Larry understands that.

Quote:

2. We don't know if there was time before it as you admit, hence the question, what was before it? This will be a logical,valid question until we can prove (which we never will) that there was no time before the big bang. (Again, conceptually unfathomable to primates on a speck of dust).

Again, IF there was a ‘before’, then nobody knows what those conditions were.

How do you know we will never be able to prove that there was no time before the Big Bang? You may be right of course, but I want to know how you KNOW it.

And what’s your definition of a “Divine catalyst”?

Ron

1. Of course it's false. But Larry understands the concept of compressed matter at work because there is a world around it that he can see, touch, feel, experience.
The compressed matter in the singularity is everything that ever existed and exists now, including an eternal, unfathomable large universe and everything in it, with nothing around it. By nothing, I mean well, nobody knows. Not me, not you, not Hawking, not Einstein, nobody. Humans cannot comprehend nothing. That is why it is conceptually less fathomable. Not so much because of the gravity or the density, although that seems tricky too. A billion quintillion quintillion quintillion planets or so seems tricky to fit into a tiny ball with nothing around it.
2. How do I know we will never know?
Well, it is my opinion. We have no idea why zebras have stripes or how fireflies synchronize their lights or how baby sea turtles find the ocean or why life exists or how to live long enough to travel to the closest star, or...well let's just say finding out how the universe began or why seems a touch more difficult. Ymmv.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Buy a book on the rules of evidence as it is always good to know the rules before you start playing the game of telling players what is or not evidence.

By the way:

Courtroom environments, which have been one of the last bastions of the oral tradition, are slowly morphing into cinematic display environments (Heintz, 2002). The persuasive oral rhetoric of lawyers is increasingly being replaced by compelling visual media displays presenting a range of digital evidence in a convincing and credible manner (Lederer, 2004; Schofield, 2007).

Computer graphics in this context refers to a suite of software applications that can be used to produce outputs such as rendered images and animations . Computer graphics systems can utilise numerical three-dimensional models of real world objects to create artificial virtual environments. Based on scene survey data, objects such as equipment, vehicles, human figures, environment details, landscape features and other relevant evidence items can be accurately positioned and precisely scaled within the artificial three-dimensional environment. The scene objects can then be texture mapped with relevant photographic images to produce a credible lifelike appearance (Watt, 1999; Foley et al, 1995).

Keywords
Forensic Science, Evidence Presentation, Digital Evidence, Forensic Animation, Reconstruction, Simulation, Computer Graphics

Google is also your friend.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Oh. And we have no idea how efficiency in nature works or why.

Yes we do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pypd_yKGYpA

Now, I suppose you can keep on asking “why” ad infiinitum. But just because there’s a point at which there is no answer doesn’t justify inserting one’s own pet theory. In fact, you seem fond of saying “nobody knows”, or “we will never know”, as if that’s a defeater for the scientific method and a validator for something else. It's not.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:

I’m confused.

Apparently so. I suggest you go back and reread the thread. Better yet, there are plenty of good books out there on cosmology/Big Bang Theory. It would make more sense to get your science from more authoritative sources than a magic forum. Enjoy. Smile

Ron

As usual when you can’t answer a simple question you dodge and run hide. Oh well, you didn't know anyway.

Tom

Tom, you admitted you are confused. And your questions reflect that confusion as they are either ill-formed or have already been addressed. And if you were really sincere in your curiosity you would do well to read a book on physics/cosmology. Are you going to do that? Or are YOU going to run and hide behind your self-acknowledged flawed and unreliable epistemology?

Again...
“Then what built-in mechanism does faith have that allows for error-correction?”

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
What was before it? Again, it doesn’t make sense to speak of a ‘before’ prior to the beginning of time itself.

You're assuming that time began at the moment of the Big Bang.

As far as I know, there's no evidence to support that assumption.

As some models suggest, yes time and space began with the Big Bang.

Models aren't evidence.

No, but the evidence aids in constructing the model.

True, but irrelevant.

I said that as far as I know, there's no evidence to support the assumption that time began with the Big Bang.

You offered that some models suggest it, as if that were evidence.

It isn't, as you concede.

So, as far as I know, there's still no evidence to support that assumption.

I was merely pointing out that some models do indeed suggest that time and space began with the Big Bang. Anyway, I will defer to the experts on that. So if you don’t think the evidence (whatever there is) merits the assumption/speculation/inference BY PHYSICISTS that time began with the Big Bang, then you need to take it up with them.

From http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/physics......ig-bang/

“it is the general view of physicists is that time started at a specific point about 13.8 billion years ago with the Big Bang, when the entire universe suddenly expanded out of an infinitely hot, infinitely dense singularity, a point where the laws of physics as we understand them simply break down. This can be considered the “birth” of the universe, and the beginning of time as we know it. Before the Big Bang, there just was no space or time, and you cannot go further back in time than the Big Bang, in much the same way as you cannot go any further north than the North Pole.”

That being said, the whole model could prove to be wrong someday. Or reinforced. Who knows?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, magicfish wrote:
R.S. wrote, "And what’s your definition of a “Divine catalyst”? 
Ron, a catalyst is something that makes something else happen, for example if an invasion caused a mass exodus, the invasion would be the catalyst for the exodus.
A military catalyst. A nutritional catalyst might be an increase in vitamin intake which is a catalyst to start an exercise program. A divine catalyst would be something divine acting as a catalyst to ignite a process or make a change.
Spiritual catalyst, financial catalyst etc. All different types.

Thank you magicfish. And where did this “Divine catalyst” come from?

And, “are you implying that my beliefs are randomly determined, as if by a coin flip?”

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Speaking of evidence, J. Warner Wallace a longtime homicide detective, who has investigated a number of high-profile cold-case murders and sometimes featured on
Dateline (NBC) has several good books and videos on the subject.

https://www.coldcasechristianity.com/

Tom

J. Warner Wallace is a Christian apologist. His books and videos relate specifically to Christianity. Given that you have agreed that some faiths could be wrong about the creator, rules, etc., is there a reason you’re not promoting Muslim detectives? Or Hindu detectives? Or Mormon detectives? Why should we take HIS faith seriously?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
1. No replacement. Just a belief that something created our known physical world/universe.

You still haven’t given a definition of this “Divine catalyst”.

Quote:

2. I understand the reverse engineering of the expanding universe into an eternally dense singularity. Still doesn't matter. How is it possible? Gravity may be what held it together, but doesn't come close to explaining how it is conceptually possible.

It’s possible with gravity. You can’t conceptualize condensed matter? And how is that any less conceptually possible than a “Divine catalyst” (whatever that is)?

Quote:

3. Correct. Nobody knows what created it.

As I said, “created” might not be the correct word. “Formed” may be the better term. At any rate, it’s true that nobody knows. Nobody. The mistake would be to fill that gap of ignorance with one’s pet theory in order to avoid the discomfort of not knowing.

Quote:

4. As a human, it will always make sense to ask, what was before it. Time or no time. How can there be no time? Nobody knows.

IF there was no time, then it absolutely makes no sense to ask what was before time. It’s almost like asking who played chess before there was chess. Makes no sense.

Quote:

5. I disagree. I opine that it is unknowable.

Are you referring to the origin of the universe?

Ron

1.oh I can conceptualize condensed matter just fine. But that isn't just it is it? There is plenty of condensed matter at my workplace, but it isn't about to explode and start an impromptu universe. Larry from shipping and receiving may argue to the contrary.

That’s a false equivalence. The state of the matter at your workplace is not the same as the highly compressed matter of a singularity. I bet even Larry understands that.

Quote:

2. We don't know if there was time before it as you admit, hence the question, what was before it? This will be a logical,valid question until we can prove (which we never will) that there was no time before the big bang. (Again, conceptually unfathomable to primates on a speck of dust).

Again, IF there was a ‘before’, then nobody knows what those conditions were.

How do you know we will never be able to prove that there was no time before the Big Bang? You may be right of course, but I want to know how you KNOW it.

And what’s your definition of a “Divine catalyst”?

Ron

1. Of course it's false.

And therefore, of no use. Not sure why you felt something false would be a good thing to assert.

Quote:

But Larry understands the concept of compressed matter at work because there is a world around it that he can see, touch, feel, experience.
The compressed matter in the singularity is everything that ever existed and exists now, including an eternal, unfathomable large universe and everything in it, with nothing around it. By nothing, I mean well, nobody knows. Not me, not you, not Hawking, not Einstein, nobody. Humans cannot comprehend nothing. That is why it is conceptually less fathomable.

It’s really not that difficult to comprehend the basic concept of “nothingness”. Have you ever been anesthetized for surgery? That would be an analogy. You have an awareness of events before and after the surgery. The inbetween is nothingness.

At any rate, I don’t find that any less fathomable than an eternal being. I mean, it’s “eternal”! No beginning and no end. Forever and ever. How could that be? Where did it come from? Nobody knows. Not me, or you, or Hawking, or Einstein or Larry in shipping.

Quote:
Not so much because of the gravity or the density, although that seems tricky too. A billion quintillion quintillion quintillion planets or so seems tricky to fit into a tiny ball with nothing around it.
2. How do I know we will never know?
Well, it is my opinion. We have no idea why zebras have stripes or how fireflies synchronize their lights or how baby sea turtles find the ocean or why life exists or how to live long enough to travel to the closest star, or...well let's just say finding out how the universe began or why seems a touch more difficult. Ymmv.

But yet despite that difficulty some people believe they have the universe all figured out. Along with it’s creation, our planet’s final days, the rules for human behavior, and our potential fates.

Ron
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
Ron, a catalyst is something that makes something else happen, for example if an invasion caused a mass exodus, the invasion would be the catalyst for the exodus.
A military catalyst. A nutritional catalyst might be an increase in vitamin intake which is a catalyst to start an exercise program. A divine catalyst would be something divine acting as a catalyst to ignite a process or make a change.

And, “are you implying that my beliefs are randomly determined, as if by a coin flip?”

Ron

1. Where did what divine catalyst come from?
2. I never mentioned your beliefs.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:

J. Warner Wallace is a Christian apologist. His books and videos relate specifically to Christianity. Given that you have agreed that some faiths could be wrong about the creator, rules, etc., is there a reason you’re not promoting Muslim detectives? Or Hindu detectives? Or Mormon detectives? Why should we take HIS faith seriously?

Ron

Ron,

I am not Muslim, Hindu, or Mormon, and I am not saying they are wrong, but why would I suggest something I know very little about. I can only speak as a Christian. And I’m not saying you should take anything I say seriously without first checking it out. I just think he makes a good case with good evidence for Christianity and other things discused here. Take it or leave it, which I’m sure you will.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron,

I just now noticed, my link didn’t point to the article, actually a podcast, that I wanted to share. It’s more with keeping to the topic here. Sorry about that, but anyway here it is.

‘Why the fine-tuning of the universe points to the existence of God’

https://coldcasechristianity.com/podcast......podcast/

Tom
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

The Divine catalyst that you mentioned earlier.

Quote:

I said:
"As some models suggest, yes time and space began with the Big Bang. So if that’s the case (IF), then it would not make sense to speak of a ‘before’. That being said, It’s not like I’m married to that idea either. I’m willing to go wherever the most compelling evidence leads."

And then you replied:
"If by compelling you mean a coin flip, I agree."

Implying that my beliefs are determined as randomly as coin flips.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Ron,

I just now noticed, my link didn’t point to the article, actually a podcast, that I wanted to share. It’s more with keeping to the topic here. Sorry about that, but anyway here it is.

‘Why the fine-tuning of the universe points to the existence of God’

https://coldcasechristianity.com/podcast......podcast/

Tom

The fine-tuning argument has been debunked over and over. Furthermore, J. Warner Wallace is not a physicist. But Sean Carroll is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNp0wtMkE_Y

And from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mij4DYYnkF8

and then there’s this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PImFp0B3ec

Ron
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

The Divine catalyst that you mentioned earlier.

Quote:

I said:
"As some models suggest, yes time and space began with the Big Bang. So if that’s the case (IF), then it would not make sense to speak of a ‘before’. That being said, It’s not like I’m married to that idea either. I’m willing to go wherever the most compelling evidence leads."

And then you replied:
"If by compelling you mean a coin flip, I agree."

Implying that my beliefs are determined as randomly as coin flips.

Ron

1. Sounds like a lot of ifs
2. Most compelling evidence? I thought you relied on empirical evidence, or proof.
3. If there is no proof that time started with big bang, and no proof that it didn't, then it sounds like a coin flip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL