The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron. What proof would you need for you to become a believer?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He IS a believer and one with religious fervor. Look at how he constantly proselytizees! Can't help himself as a matter of fact.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
But Danny, he has no proof, and I’m curious why he believes what he does without any proof when he seems to demand that others provide proof.

So Ron, what proof would it take for you to believe in God?

Tom
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:

If I recall correctly from many, many other discussions, he doesn't know.

Please, Ron, correct me if I've misstated your position. I don't want to put words in your mouth.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Please, Ron, correct me if I've misstated your position. I don't want to put words in your mouth.

And isn't not knowing very convenient for him? He never have to worry about proof actually showing up or really listening to anyone or their position. He can immediately set about an interrogation to PROVE to them that they are mistaken. He can constantly question everyone else and try to teach them they are wrong without ever examining any of his own beliefs.

He has it pretty down pat.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I just can’t understand how he can put so much faith into something that he admits he doesn’t know is true or not.

I’m a believer because I believe it to be true. Ron is a believer because he doesn’t know. That’s sort of weird ain’t it? Smile

Perhaps he just ‘refuses’ to believe anything else. Is that it Ron?

Tom
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
R.S. wrote :"So wouldn’t it be easier for you to just explain what YOU mean when YOU use the words? 
No. I believe the word 'set' has the most definitions of any word in the English language. But when someone uses it in context, I don't need to ask them which of the dozens of definitions they are applying.
Same with Faith and Divine and Science .
I could ask you a hundred times what YOUR definition of science is. But I won't because 1. I'm not an idiot
2. I couldn't care less what YOUR definition of science is because science is science. I know what the word means. I learned it in primary school as a child. Just like Faith, Divine, Hemoglobin, Set, Pillar, Oblong, Frigate, Apple, Envy, Moisture, Nuance, etc.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, magicfish wrote:
R.S. wrote :"So wouldn’t it be easier for you to just explain what YOU mean when YOU use the words? 
No. I believe the word 'set' has the most definitions of any word in the English language. But when someone uses it in context, I don't need to ask them which of the dozens of definitions they are applying.
Same with Faith and Divine and Science .
I could ask you a hundred times what YOUR definition of science is. But I won't because 1. I'm not an idiot
2. I couldn't care less what YOUR definition of science is because science is science. I know what the word means. I learned it in primary school as a child. Just like Faith, Divine, Hemoglobin, Set, Pillar, Oblong, Frigate, Apple, Envy, Moisture, Nuance, etc.

What about "lagniappe"?

You're not going to try to tell us that you learned the meaning of lagniappe in primary school, are you?

Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Great another word I have to look up.

So basically the lagniappe of me reading your posts is I get to learn new words! Yes a fairly broad use of the word but not entirely inappropriate.

THANKS Bill!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
All depends on what you mean by lagniappe. Answer this: What is YOUR definition of lagniappe? (Italics intended but omitted due to technological incompetence).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nicer to know that word before learning "Ce n'est pas un cadeau" in context. Smile <- for Danny - that's close to "there's no such thing as a free lunch" in French.

@Tommy, I thought the social value points came from persuading others (may was well make it a pyramid scheme too) Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, karnak wrote:
...And the Big Bang certainly wasn't "nothing exploding," as it's sometimes wrongly made out to be. There was certainly "something" -- the pre-existing, pre-Big Bang "singularity" -- which inflated to give birth to the universe and everything in it (including not just matter and energy, but also spacetime itself).

(Hmmmm. Wonder if there might be some patter possibilities here, for something like a "Quantum Cups and Balls" routine?)

Consider a soap bubble. Was it always a soap bubble? What was it before that thin sheet of soap film enclosed some air? Do we say it was the pool of soapy water? All of it or just some of it? What about the ingredients which made the soap? So next time you dip the hoop into the bottle of bubble solution - imagine how different it is for that little bit clinging to the hoop to become one or more bubbles.

Would it be a graduate level problem to ask about the surface tension of the solution and momentum of the air passing through the hoop making bubbles?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'll call Tom Noddy.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Ah, art Smile http://tomnoddy.com/video.html#torus

So back to the perspective of a tiny creature on the surface of a bubble ... do we say a bubble started at a point, and will expand forever? What sort of story might it tell about its world?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ron maybe IF you wanted to actually discuss and learn instead of try to teach it is possible people might entertain answering your questions. But that would involve you admitting you have something to learn, which we all know isn't going to happen.

Ron's agenda, as far as I have been able to determine, is to discredit religious beliefs.

To his credit, he has been pretty open in that objective.

Actually, my aim is to QUESTION religious beliefs.

That being said, are there any religious beliefs you don't believe should be discredited?

Probably. Depends what the belief is. But I also think that there most definitely are some that should be discredited. And there may be yet others that should neither be immediately endorsed nor discredited, but perhaps explored more.

So again, do you think there are any religious beliefs worth discrediting?

Probably. Depends on what the belief is. I haven't considered them all.

OK, thanks Bill. Looks like we’re on the same page with this.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
He IS a believer and one with religious fervor. Look at how he constantly proselytizees! Can't help himself as a matter of fact.

What am I a believer in, Danny?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
But Danny, he has no proof, and I’m curious why he believes what he does without any proof when he seems to demand that others provide proof.

So Ron, what proof would it take for you to believe in God?

Tom

Good question Tom. I could ask you which of the thousands of Gods that have been posited throughout history you’re referring to, but we’ll leave that aside for now. I don’t know what it would take, but I’m pretty sure that a God would know what it would take to convince me. So far though, the evidence put forth by believers has not been at all compelling to me.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:

Yep. See above.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

And isn't not knowing very convenient for him? He never have to worry about proof actually showing up or really listening to anyone or their position. He can immediately set about an interrogation to PROVE to them that they are mistaken. He can constantly question everyone else and try to teach them they are wrong without ever examining any of his own beliefs.

He has it pretty down pat.

Why does my not knowing something upset you so much? And how have I NOT been listening to anyone? I’ve been commenting on other posts and asking follow up questions all along, haven’t I? I’ve even been listening and responding to you (although the majority of your posts are just disparaging comments to/about me).

What belief of mine is it that you want examined, Danny?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
I just can’t understand how he can put so much faith into something that he admits he doesn’t know is true or not.

I’m a believer because I believe it to be true. Ron is a believer because he doesn’t know.

What am I believer in?

Quote:

That’s sort of weird ain’t it? Smile

Perhaps he just ‘refuses’ to believe anything else. Is that it Ron?

Tom

Belief is not something that one chooses, as if off a menu. I believe in anything and everything that convinces me. “Refusal” is impossible if I am convinced of something. For example, no matter how hard I try, I can't force myself to refuse to believe that the Moon exists. Or that gravity is real.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Possible For Nothing To Make Something? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL