The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Do you suffer from eBook collecting syndrome? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

prankmonster
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of prankmonster
Dear MC,

So this post came about after talking to one of my good friends who is really into "making money online" and he is part of an online community where masters who have made money online sell eBooks/pdf's and there are those that reviews these eBooks and raves about them on the same forum. My friend in the last 12 months has probably spend over $1.8K on eBooks and how many has he actually read and implemented? I can't say but by his own admission, very little.

Does anyone here suffer from or used to suffer from this similar problem? There is something about acquiring knowledge even if it's not part of something that you personally can use or utilize, there is this sense that he "has" that learning more equates to more power. How does one break free of such an addiction to the excitement of learning "hidden secrets"? Any words of advice?
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1220 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Understand that quite of few people in life, and perhaps magic in particularly, would rather read a book about heaven as opposed to experience heaven. It is quirk of human nature that seems to me more prevalent today than in the past.

It's also one reason why many a hobbyist ( and perhaps many pros ) perform mediocre lower quality tricks when great material is published, past and present. Tricks in the magic market today has an exceptionally short shelve life. A good performance is more work than readingwatching. Many Secrets are just pipedreams in the mind of their collectors, and magic is marketed that way: Dreams achieved by purchasing the ebook.

Its not a new phenomena. They're people who collect booktests, impression pads, Karl Fulves books, Ed Marlo Magazines, and may have never read a page or used a gimmick.

How to break from it? Look at your situation now. Figure out and assess your resources ( time, performance venues .. etc ) and then assess your needs and goals. Focus only on your needs ( you may read only small parts of an ebook you have to satisfy them ), avoid the feeling that you will miss out on something. If you're really addicted, stop magic for a month, then go back assessing your needs but don't take a look at the magic market for at least month.

And then you'll be better.

That, and focus on theory books more so than new tricks.
teenagelabotomy42
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of teenagelabotomy42
Yes and it never ends.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
109 Posts

Profile of jkr
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2019, Medifro wrote:
Understand that quite of few people in life, and perhaps magic in particularly, would rather read a book about heaven as opposed to experience heaven. It is quirk of human nature that seems to me more prevalent today than in the past.

It's also one reason why many a hobbyist ( and perhaps many pros ) perform mediocre lower quality tricks when great material is published, past and present. Tricks in the magic market today has an exceptionally short shelve life. A good performance is more work than readingwatching. Many Secrets are just pipedreams in the mind of their collectors, and magic is marketed that way: Dreams achieved by purchasing the ebook.

Its not a new phenomena. They're people who collect booktests, impression pads, Karl Fulves books, Ed Marlo Magazines, and may have never read a page or used a gimmick.

How to break from it? Look at your situation now. Figure out and assess your resources ( time, performance venues .. etc ) and then assess your needs and goals. Focus only on your needs ( you may read only small parts of an ebook you have to satisfy them ), avoid the feeling that you will miss out on something. If you're really addicted, stop magic for a month, then go back assessing your needs but don't take a look at the magic market for at least month.

And then you'll be better.

That, and focus on theory books more so than new tricks.

Excellent advice, I wish someone had told me this when I was first starting out! Especially the part about avoiding the feeling of missing out. I could have saved some money.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1360 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I have hundreds of ebooks, but almost all of them were free. If I'm going to buy a book I'd rather have a proper one and preferably a hardback. Magic books in particular I see as an investment, as they often increase in value when they go out of print.

There are some ebooks worth paying for, though. An obvious example is Switchcraft, 875 pages at the last count!

Barry
judeh
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of judeh
HA! Yes. I feel personally attacked by this question.

I keep getting videos and books, while I'm still struggling to get through what I have stacking up!

Yikes!

Jude
judeh
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of judeh
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2019, mindmagic wrote:
I have hundreds of ebooks, but almost all of them were free. If I'm going to buy a book I'd rather have a proper one and preferably a hardback. Magic books in particular I see as an investment, as they often increase in value when they go out of print.

There are some ebooks worth paying for, though. An obvious example is Switchcraft, 875 pages at the last count!

Barry

Where the heck are you getting hundreds of free ebooks?!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1360 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, judeh wrote:
Quote:

Barry

Where the heck are you getting hundreds of free ebooks?!

Lots are public domain, but mostly from here: http://uk.dailyfreebooks.com/free_ebooks/c/

(I didn't say they were all on magic.)
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Yes, but... but... in magic, this huge backlog actually becomes useful. It become a library. Whenever I am researching an effect I want to do, I always see references to other works. Usually I find it in my library. Addictions can be positive. Honest.
"You're a mentalist!"
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Quote:

Barry

I'm the same way. I have so many magic and magic related books in the public domain that are so old and old fashioned that I will never really read, let alone perform from. But I like having them. I'll download anything I can find.

Plus I have too many ebooks that I've paid for, but that's a separate problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Do you suffer from eBook collecting syndrome? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL