The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth's Expert Coin Magic (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Back a couple of years ago I started working out of "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic" and tried to video record myself on each trick. My goal wasn't to perfect each routine, but get it down well enough so that I could watch it and get a pretty good idea how the routine would look when performed well.

I've had to skip and leave some routines out because I don't have the necessary props (some of them are quite expensive or hard to find). Some that are missing I might eventually go back and work on, others I'll just leave alone. At any rate, here is where you can find some video recordings of my practice of most of this book, along with some of my thoughts about the routines and my abilities to perform them.

https://drdavesmagic.wordpress.com/exper......project/

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, but please keep in mind that I'm an amateur who does this for fun.

Dave
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Dave, keep up the good work. You been quite busy not only learning many effects and routines but recording them as well. Looking good, thx for sharing!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, that is impressive Dave. It's nice to see a lot of what that stuff looks like. It's a good resource. I appreciate all your effort on this. Great job! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I just posted some final thoughts about going through the book as I did on my web site.

https://drdavesmagic.wordpress.com/2019/......ddendum/

Overall, I think my technique improved quite a bit over the course of working through the book. In general I went in the order that they are written up in the book, so you can watch the videos from the early chapters and compare them to the ones in the later chapters. There were several routines that I probably would have skipped just reading their description and instructions that have become some of my favorites. It also gave me a real appreciation for David Roth's influence on coin magic and Richard Kaufman's writing and illustrating.

It's unfortunate that "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic" by Richard Kaufman appears to be out of print now. If you're at all interested in coin magic and can get a hold of this book, I highly recommend it.

Dave
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Dave,
I love your hanging coins. Plus the one with Harbottle sleights. You are doing a huge favor to magicians by offering us visible routines. It does make it much easier to see it and to be able to choose the routines we like best. A HUGE THANK YOU!!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I will be reprinting "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic" later this year.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
GREAT NEWS MR. KAUFMAN!!!
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Richard Kaufman wrote:

That's fantastic news.

If you're at all interested in coin magic this is a great book.

Dave
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
Thank you for this. I can't not wait to dive into watching these.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Richard Kaufman wrote:

Has anyone heard any other news on this reprint?
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
Is there a still a plan to reprint this?
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I sent a PM to Mr. Kaufman, so hopefully he sees it and can give us an update.
Randa
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Randa
Dave I am impressed by the awesome work you did ! Thank you for sharing with us
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Yes, I still plan to reprint. It was going to be this year, but then the pandemic happened. Now it will be sometime in 2021.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Hi Richard,
Did you finally reprinted the book ?
Do your best and forget the rest
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth's Expert Coin Magic (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL