The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's holding you back from being a paid magician? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Have you ever wanted to do paid gigs as a magician? Do look with envy at the professionals who get to perform magic for profit? Are you tired of practicing in front of the mirror, and then show your spouse and kids...but nobody else?

Guess what. The only thing holding you back is YOU! Yes, that's right. You are your own worst enemy when it comes to performing for money (or for free in public).

Let me tell you my story. I started with magic at the age of 14. I read every book I could find, watched every VHS available (yes, no DVDs or downloads then) and showed my tricks to all my friends and family.

As I grow older, I continued to practice magic, but the thought of doing paid gigs felt like an impossible goal.

The years went by. I looked at the national magicians association (SMC) but it also felt impossible. I would have to perform in front of other members in order to become a member. Not a chance, I thought.

For 25 years, I doubted myself. I told myself I wasn't good enough, not funny enough, not skilled enough...until one day...

I was almost 40 years old when I finally faced my fears. I recorded a video of me performing some magic and sent it to the Swedish national magic association along with an application. One week later, I was accepted as a member. I have never been so proud before (at least not related to magic).

I also reached out to local charities and got my first gig. Nothing fancy, but 2 hours of strolling magic at a local fundraiser. It went well, but more important...I started to believe in myself!

After that, I've done countless gigs for many different clients. I now perform regularly and have more requests than I can handle. Life's good!

But...and this still bugs me...I wasted 20 years of performing just because I didn't have the guts to go out in the world and try.

So, my advice to you; if you're thinking about "someday going pro" then JUST DO IT!

Life's too short to sit around with self-doubt. Believe in your self, take the plunge...and have fun along the way!
Want more leads to your magic business? Get a free Lead Generation System at www.gigfunnels.com

Get honest reviews of magic and mentalism at www.gigfunnels.com/reviews/

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9263 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sounds like a setup for a sales pitch...lol
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Sounds like a setup for a sales pitch...lol

Haha..no, not really. I just want to give back to this forum...it has helped me in the past. I don't sell anything.
Want more leads to your magic business? Get a free Lead Generation System at www.gigfunnels.com

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9263 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, there are many here willing to share, help and assist - as long as others are open-minded and truly willing to learn. Like you, it's helped and been a great starting point for many here for nearly two decades.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
I just cant get enough gigs to pay for my bills.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2820 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, AndreaMooreMagic wrote:
I just cant get enough gigs to pay for my bills.

Why not? I can think of many reasons but only YOU can answer that if we're honest with ourselves.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9263 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. What are you actually doing to get more bookings?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8043 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha!
What'a a nice Svensksa poyka like you doing with a name like Andre? (I was born in December, so ma gran mere who was French Canadien, gave me "Noel"
for a middle name). I came home from college to show off my college 'Francais' All grandma would say was "Ehh".

I saw my first magician at about age 8 in October 1938. The other kids went home. I found my way backstage to meet Stanley Susan. We visited,, and, I decided to forget about being a cowboy or a fireman. I was going to learn about being a magician.

6 years later, I was not quite 14, (October 1945) I booked my first paid show at the Jr. High School. We charged 10cents admission. In 40 minutes, I made $24.00. Grown men would work all week for that.

I became a part time pro, THAT DAY. My picture and feature story in the paper brought invitations from every Lodge and Club program chairman in the county. My school pals were earning 50 cents an hour, pushing lawn mowers, or bagging groceries. I was getting from $10 to $20 for my little show!

while in the NAVY, (1951--1955) I 'found' an agent who told me: "If you can make 'em laugh, I'll get you lots of work. From that point on, I never cashed a Navy paycheck for 3 1/2 years.

In '68 I auditioned with a Lyceum manager. I was NEVER "AT LIBERTY" for fifty years. (The managers would call ME for my open time!)

Almost all my tricks are from Tarbell. If I could do it, you could do it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Ha!
What'a a nice Svensksa poyka like you doing with a name like Andre?

Good question...have asked my parents the same thing Smile

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1333 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
AndreJ, yes... we are our own worst enemy. We create our own roadblocks. The largest of them is FEAR... some are fearful of failure, others, fearful of success.
The persons that seem to go beyond those things have a different outlook, a different way of meeting those roadblocks and finding their route.
Do I want to be a full time pro? No.
Do I want to be a sometime pro? Perhaps in the future when I don’t need to do the daily grind for a paycheck.
Do I have the fear? Yes to both
There is a business side to magic and that is where I have no experience so I lurk in another area on the Café... which has a wealth of information. I don’t care how good my magic is (if at all) if I don’t have that business sense, I would still be in the same predicament.

I highly agree in believing in oneself, but also knowing oneself and be willing to work on those aspects to achieve those goals is needed also.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
772 Posts

Profile of danaruns
The thing about show business is ... no business, no show. If you want to work, you have to do the business part of it. As my friend Paul Draper says, "My JOB is selling shows. My HOBBY is performing those shows. I love what I do!"

And speaking of sales pitches (as Mindpro did above), I'm going to make a plug for Scott Tokar's program, "How to Make 6 Figures in Magic." Here's a link: https://www.ellusionist.com/how-to-make-6-figures-in-magic.html.

I had a very small part in putting this program together, and was present for taping, so I got to see a good chunk of it, and there is lots of good, useful, practical content.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Problem for me going full time is I spent a lot of money and time on my education and I have a pretty high paying job, so I don't want to throw them all away. Even though I know I might have more fun being a magician and might even be able to earn more in the future than what I'm making now. But it's a big gamble.
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, magicianbrady wrote:
Problem for me going full time is I spent a lot of money and time on my education and I have a pretty high paying job, so I don't want to throw them all away.

I just watched Drew Backenstoss Live Act on Penguin, and he talks a lot about the positive side of having an "ordinary" job and doing magic on the side. Some of the advantages are:

- you can say no to gigs you don't want
- you get health care and other benefits from your ordinary job
- you can increase your rates since it really doesn't matter if you get the gig or not (in a "put food on the table" sense)
- you can take a break
- you can use your magic business as a way to travel with your family

All in all...being a semi-pro is perhaps the best of two worlds.

AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Quote:
"My JOB is selling shows. My HOBBY is performing those shows. I love what I do!"

That's an awesome quote!

gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Retired and disabled. 76. Congestive heart failure, kidney disease and arthritis. I'm fine if I take it easy. I do a bit of close-up at Grand Illusions magic store, and I teach other old coots once a week. A couple years ago, I performed in an IBM/SAM contest. Two days later, my cardiologist's office called to say that at the exact time I was performing, my heart rate shot up into the 140s, although I didn't "feel" nervous. So I don't *PERFORM* any more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's holding you back from being a paid magician? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL