The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's Your Approach? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bdungey
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Since we're in the 'strolling' forum - I've got an opportunity in about a month to perform at a large birthday gathering - what are your openers for party strolling?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, aligator wrote:
If one is worried that customers but not realize your purpose, might I suggest wearing a lanyard with an ID tag.

Years ago here on the Magic Café someone suggested a professional looking name tag pinned to a shirt or jacket. ( like managers at fancy hotels) I have my name with "Prestidigitator" underneath. I ordered it on-line. It's a conversation starter allot of the time, plus I look official to the patrons.

I have to say, I like that idea better than a lanyard.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
From experience, the lanyard or tag works great. I have used a lanyard (got the idea from The Approach), and it helps people know quickly what is your purpose at the party or event. Additionally, it clearly communicates the reason you have approached them. I used a line from Jamie Grant in his excellent book "The Approach" that quickly explains your purpose and makes the person feel special. Then, I proceed to build rapport with the party goers and then perform accordingly.

My purpose is for people to have a great time, to have fun, and I use magic as a vehicle to make that happen. At the end of the set or the day, I try to make the magic about the party goers, not me. If people are having a great time, amazed, and feel a connection with you, you are more likely to be invited back the next time. My attitude is that I am the conduit for the host/planner to ensure his/her guests are have an amazing, memorable time, and I use magic and/or mentalism, along with humor and good ol' Texan charm to achieve this.

Keep amazing your audiences everyone.
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Ok, my comments were about paid strolling events, not restaurant work. But the same premise applies.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3062 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A restaurant gig IS a paid strolling event. (unless you are working for tips only)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 16, 2019, MeetMagicMike wrote:
A restaurant gig IS a paid strolling event. (unless you are working for tips only)

I was venturing off talking about private parties, corporate events, community events, etc Restaurants can be a paid strolling event if you negotiate correctly with the restaurant and it is a win win situation for the restaurant and the magician. It depends on the specifics of the agreement. Hopefully, one can book private shows from the restaurant's clientele.
magictia
View Profile
New user
switzerland
21 Posts

Profile of magictia
I like the Fay Presto's opener (producing a pocket watch with a flash string)
Hi! It's a Cabaret Time It's my job to entertain You for 2 minutes...it won't see longer
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

I really like that idea. Quick, visual, definitely gets your attention due to the fire, and let's them know that you are not going to be there all day
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's Your Approach? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL