The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting more difficult in restaurants. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8298 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
You need to rethink your argument.

"electricity is not progress or even change." I can't believe you even wrote that.

If I have to explain to you the "perceived advantages" of smartphone technology, it is not worth continuing this discussion due to your lack of knowledge.


I was only continuing this adventure for the benefit of other readers. I think they have enough to arrive at their own conclusions.
My goal is to help other magicians prepare to solve problems like the OP. You don't have to do anything - never did.

electricity noun
elec·​tric·​i·​ty |i-ˌlek-ˈtri-sə-tē , ē-, -ˈtri-stē
plural electricities

Definition of electricity
1a : a fundamental form of energy observable in positive and negative forms that occurs naturally (as in lightning) or is produced (as in a generator) and that is expressed in terms of the movement and interaction of electrons
b : electric current or power
2 : a science that deals with the phenomena and laws of electricity
3 : keen contagious excitement

yup - nary a mention of progress or social change or magic or ethics or even communication.

amazing .what reading can do,

and ...

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."

Aldous Huxley
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst



ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1354 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Dude, just stop. Trying to have a conversation with you is like trying to talk to my 13 year old. You're giving me alternate definitions of words when you know what definition I'm talking about and in what context I mean it. You're either being intentionally difficult or you really don't get it. Either way, this is no longer fun for me or worth my time...

Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
You need to rethink your argument.

"electricity is not progress or even change." I can't believe you even wrote that.

If I have to explain to you the "perceived advantages" of smartphone technology, it is not worth continuing this discussion due to your lack of knowledge.


I was only continuing this adventure for the benefit of other readers. I think they have enough to arrive at their own conclusions.
My goal is to help other magicians prepare to solve problems like the OP. You don't have to do anything - never did.

electricity noun
elec·​tric·​i·​ty |i-ˌlek-ˈtri-sə-tē , ē-, -ˈtri-stē
plural electricities

Definition of electricity
1a : a fundamental form of energy observable in positive and negative forms that occurs naturally (as in lightning) or is produced (as in a generator) and that is expressed in terms of the movement and interaction of electrons
b : electric current or power
2 : a science that deals with the phenomena and laws of electricity
3 : keen contagious excitement

yup - nary a mention of progress or social change or magic or ethics or even communication.

amazing .what reading can do,

and ...

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."

Aldous Huxley
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ken really you need to look beyond your own yard.

You keep talking about "cultural progress" in effect. But that is subjective. Doesn't your wife play a harp in restaurants? Not many would enjoy the cultural significance of that yet you brag about it as if it is The Rolling Stones. A group you may find totally devoid of cultural significance.

My point is that the terms you are using in a desperate attempt to be right are subjective.

Fact is that by any standard you care to apply the huge majority of the public would say cell phones represent not only change but progress. Get over it.

Now again the argument that you can't compete for attention is valid and believable. It must be true because of it wasn't you would not be SO set on this topic.

Kalix is right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8298 Posts

Profile of funsway
You really are a joke, Danny - I mean humorous. I have never referred to any performance I personally do, or any problem I have with an audience.

You choose to project your own delusion and then argue with your false assumption.

The reason I am so set on this topic is a desire to help with the OP problem. I have always been intensely interested in the impact of electronic technology
on education and communication. So, I chose to go back to school at my advanced age and get a Masters Degree in Educational Technology -
specifically to learn how computers, telephony, multi-media and video based learning can be best integrated for progress to an objective rather than just reaction to change.

Thus, what I present is based on academic study and research and not some Facebook like-count or popular myth.

Because I can apply advanced education and practical experience my suggestions may help others find an approach best for them.

By the standard I apply (academic research/study and documented evidence) your use of these term is incorrect and equivocal.

Your apparent need to judge others and posture would seem to a majority of the public as indicating fear and insecurity.

Of greater importance, I either of you wishes to change my point of view, why not use reasoned argument and answer questions when asked?
The fact is that you never answer questions and rarely address the topic of any thread. You must be more lonely and frightened than I had thought previously (joke)

Fortunately, some readers may find some thought to support progress in overcoming this problem.

What is "right" is to use terms as defined in a dictionary and not some person whim.

....
Yet, through all of this diversion you have swirled up, You have indicated that any solution must come from within the performer himself and not
attempting to change the sad reality of disrespectful and inattentive audiences. The restaurant setting has changed in recent years.
The expectation of audiences about magic has changed. I do not see any progress there but others might.

This means the successful performer must be creative and flexible. A thicker skin may be desirable too - or more mirth in one's demeanor.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst



ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So without a minute of experience you offer a solution to a problem? You JUST said that and it is HILARIOUS! Then you want to pretend your solution is as valid as anyone doing it every night!

YOU are indeed a joke.

How can you offer solutions to problems that you have not experienced? How can you pretend to have enough in the realm of practical experience to actually help anyone? Are you kidding?

Kalix is right. It is like talking to a child. You are simply not worth wasting time talking to.

You can take all the courses in all the silly nonsense you want at any level you want and it won't come close to practical experience every night.

You can't be a chef by only reading books. At some point you have to cook at least one edible meal. Academic experience is only helpful to a point, and you are proving that beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8298 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
You are simply not worth wasting time talking to.


at last some progress! If you do not like my posts, stop reading them.
Certainly there is not reason to waste time in a response. I look forward to your silence.

Everyone can see that whenever you make an assumption it is like a dagger on which you can fall. Don't project, don't assume. Pretty simple.

SIlly boy, I never said I had no practical experience in table hopping - just that I had not problems of the type expressed in the OP.
Yes, I have concerns over the de-evolution of our culture, which is why I do research and study, including gathering opinions for practical workers around the world.
More importantly, changes in setting or audience behavior provides an opportunity for creative thought and even progress if we had any agreed objective.
If even one reader here finds an idea to explore it is grand! They can ignore the rest.

Based on my personal experiences and information gathered from others and some field tests, I will be offering some possible solutions to deal with the changes in restaurant/strolling work. Maybe the best idea will come from a field other than performing magic. Just imagine!

On another thread, of course, since this one is in the swamp.

I alert you so that you will not accidentally read any of the ideas.

You are welcome to start a thread also with your ideas on how to solve the OP problem.
I will be interested in seeing how your experience translates into positive suggestions. You know, helping other magicians.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst



ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The first wrong assumption I made was that you had anything of value to add to a discussion about performance.

So as long as you are going to use demeaning phrases like "silly boy" you can expect disrespectful language in the future.

I don't care about any of your rambling and old man babble. I get it you are desperate to be taken seriously.

You want silence then do not address me again in response. I know you are a last word guy and it will kill you but as long as give it a try. Stop your old man rambling at me and just let it go. Bet ya can't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
948 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
How can you offer solutions to problems that you have not experienced?


In the same way that NASA scientists offer solutions to astronauts and test pilots - from their own area of specialty.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm reminded of the words of Henry Drummond in the film "Inherit The Wind;"

"Progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "All right, you can have a telephone, but you lose privacy and the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote but at a price: you lose the right to retreat behind the powder puff or your petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air, but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2019, Keith Raygor wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
How can you offer solutions to problems that you have not experienced?


In the same way that NASA scientists offer solutions to astronauts and test pilots - from their own area of specialty.


Nice to be stalked by you. I'm flattered.

So what exactly is his specialty?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
948 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Stalked? Again, you’re so dramatic. I read almost every single post from five different sections of the Magic Café. I respond, quite naturally, when my point of view hasn’t been expressed already by someone else. But you feel stalked because someone correctly answered your question. You -would- be flattered by that. Check your insecurities at the door, and stay on topic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
On topic? From you? Hilarious.

Again what is is NASA level specialty you imply he has?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
948 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I did not say nor imply he had that. I answered your question. Focus on my words “The same way . . .”
Try harder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19392 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Right not stalking. Just focused on me lol. Hilarious.

Certainly one can infer from your nonsensical post that he has NASA level experience to help just like those who don't fly who build planes.

My question was DIRECTLY related to him. YOU brought up NASA and this it seems ti imply that you believe he has that level of experience of some sort. Otherwise why being it up at all as your first post in this thread?

Yea sorry Keith it is an easy conclusion to draw.

So to be clear you're just out of the blue bringing this up in direct response to my question about how not having experience can be helpful?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
948 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I'm sorry, I can't follow any of what you just wrote. But I'm sure it's me.Smile
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
159 Posts

Profile of jnork
Somewhere in here are some really usable techniques. Most offered by Danny. I tend to USE the phone in an effect IF I sense it’s an issue. Danny’s right: it’s the job of the magician to capture the attention of the audience and entertain them. ESPECIALLY in a venue where (let’s face it) most people aren’t coming to see the magician (sort of). Now, I know David. He’s good. He has an issue on a particular aspect of the gigs. Dave, I’d use the phone in some way. Get them and it involved.
*Text them a prediction
*Take a photo of what you think their selected card will be.
*post a video of an outcome and say you don’t want them to look just yet, so turn their phone face Dow
*have them text a buddy to name a card and use it in the trick.
Etc.

Personally, I don’t have much of an issue with this and if after a trick or two I have not captured their attention and they’re back to their phones, I simply wind up my set and leave the table. Remember, there’s no set amount of time you need to spend at any one table. The spectators don’t realize what your set is supposed to be so you can feel free to end it at any time.

A tactic that I used when I found a ‘Offensive Texter’ was to start off by simply asking: “ are you texting someone right now?”
They would then sheepishly respond ‘yes’ and start to put the phone away. ( remember, sometimes manners have gone by the wayside) but that is not why I called them out. I then immediately continued with: “cool! Are they responding fairly quickly? Tell them you are here with the Magician. Can you have them name any playing card: any number, any suit. Let me know when you have the card but don’t tell me what it is. We’ll do something cool with it. In the meantime I’m gonna do a trick for these folks”
(the rest of the table). That got the Texter and their friend involved with the trick and also makes them feel a bit left out from not seeing the trick so they want to get the text quickly so they can watch the trick, and then see what you’re going to do with the playing card that their friend named.

95% of the time, the Texter let me know they had a card, and then watched the rest of the trick. I simply used the named playing card and found it with an ID . I then told them to tell their friend what happened via text and to stop down to the restaurant and see me. I told them we would do the same trick with them when they got here. Worked well for me when I had to use it, which is not all that often.

Jason Christopher
Yours in Magic!
Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting more difficult in restaurants. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL