The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Act on Britain's Got Talent (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Too bad she didn’t use a Marc Charisse box....

Interesting presentation with the character appearing though. I knew as soon as I saw the photo that the woman would make some type of appearance because she did not look like she was from the 1960’s.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I thought it was great.

She squeezed a lot out of a limited time frame. Very theatrical and clearly got a huge reaction. A lot of people think she rushed it (according to comments I've seen on social media) - I think the pacing was just fine. She'll get more time on the show now, and the longer she's on the show the more she can expand and let the routines breath.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Her storytelling really set that up.I enjoyed the performance.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
I absolutely loved it - is this "Elizabeth" known somehow, e.g. has she a record as a Magician?
To infinity, and beyond!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
It was an excellent performance and well presented for the lay audience.

I always find it a little absurd when after a magicians performance on TV, other magicians go online to criticize a prop or methodology. It’s really too bad.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Thanks MG that was fun - goes to show what can be accomplished with some basic concepts and a little theatrics
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I like how simple the effect was from a working stand point, nothing complicated, just a good presentation.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I give it 100 out of 100!!!!!!! People almost peed their pants .. Excellent performance!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Great performance. It must be kind of wierd to frame the performance like that - one on one, over video to a crowd, on TV/YT. Still, awesome.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My wife, who usually loathes magic (I know, how are we together), was really enthralled by this presentation, so thanks Mind Guerrilla for another great share.

I thought the presentation was really solid. The ending where the ghost was replaced by the original medium was predictable, but still very well executed. It makes me question (not in a negative way), the way these shows operate. Due to the pre-show orchestration and staging of this routine, there must have been substantial collaboration with the show's producers, e.g. getting access to the basement, setting up and lighting the props, blocking and determining when and where the switches happen etc. You get the picture.

Yet are we to believe that the shows talent was kept completely in the dark until the live performance? I doubt it. Too much at risk. They are all in the entertainment industry, so I am assuming they are told all and rehearse to look impromptu, or, are told just enough to act surprised at the right moments.

Or none of the above. It's just me, conjecturing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
If this wasn’t scripted and rehearsed from start to finish, I’ll eat my hat (or even my helmet).

It looked great, though.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
My wife, who usually loathes magic (I know, how are we together), was really enthralled by this presentation, so thanks Mind Guerrilla for another great share.

I thought the presentation was really solid. The ending where the ghost was replaced by the original medium was predictable, but still very well executed. It makes me question (not in a negative way), the way these shows operate. Due to the pre-show orchestration and staging of this routine, there must have been substantial collaboration with the show's producers, e.g. getting access to the basement, setting up and lighting the props, blocking and determining when and where the switches happen etc. You get the picture.

Yet are we to believe that the shows talent was kept completely in the dark until the live performance? I doubt it. Too much at risk. They are all in the entertainment industry, so I am assuming they are told all and rehearse to look impromptu, or, are told just enough to act surprised at the right moments.

Or none of the above. It's just me, conjecturing.

I honestly don't think the actors are in on it .. But .. THEY ARE ACTORS....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
[/quote]
I honestly don't think the actors are in on it .. But .. THEY ARE ACTORS.... [/quote]

They may not be but then again, a lot of people don't think professional wrestling is fake either. lol But, then again, how many funerals have I done where someone in the family doesn't believe the person is really dead? "I just can't believe they died and left me with this mess!" I guess denial is part of coping with the unexplained things in life.

I do believe it has to be pre-seen by the producers, even if the judges are not in on it. A lot of research on the theater conditions was necessary such as how to gain access to the basement and what did it allow. Obviously, it had to be rehearsed on location because too much was riding on it from the performer's perspective. A lot of if's to consider but a great performance.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
From what I've heard, and I could be wrong here, they rehearse with stand ins and the judges don't really see the acts until they start rolling cameras. So I believe the reactions are genuine here.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
From what I've heard, and I could be wrong here, they rehearse with stand ins and the judges don't really see the acts until they start rolling cameras. So I believe the reactions are genuine here.

That's what I'd expect.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I thought about this all day ... IMHO .. I've never seen a card trick have this effect on any volunteer EVER!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:

Just a few years ago one of the local performer-members (and his wife assistant) in my Phoenix IBM Ring appeared in an early round on AGT (mostly for comedy relief) and got voted off, but were used in one if those interim transition video shots, also for comedic effect. He related his TWO days of experience there, which did include rehearsal run-throughs with stand in "judges", stage blocking, and some producer feedback.
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The ending where the ghost was replaced by the original medium was predictable, but still very well executed. It makes me question (not in a negative way), the way these shows operate.

Realistically is there another way it could have went? Not only does she need to be back on stage at the end for review and judgment, but under no circumstance could the ghost be allowed to go out of the stage.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Very good, went down well over here, amazing just how much you can freak out people with a bit of bizarre magic! There are soooo many effects available to us that I wish she would use in the next round....please please if you are reading this get in touch with Dan Baines....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Act on Britain's Got Talent (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL