The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I found a great bag for my puposes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone, I was taking a walk near my home when I saw a bag on top of a skip bin (I think you call them dumpsters in the U.S.). It was covered in dust or builders debris. Anyway, I cleaned it up and the photo will show you what I now plan to use primarily for parlor and stage. I initially thought it might be a doctors bag but it turns out it is a vintage lawn bowls bag. It comes in two compartments - a top and bottom. The bottom has belt straps which act as mini compartments and can store 4 lawn bowls. Those belt straps can be pushed to the sides so that that bottom base can be completely clear or you can choose to have 1,2, 3 or 4 mini compartments. I cut out the base/bottom of the top compartment so that I could have a deeper bag. I'm already storing quite a bit in it. Some of these vintage style bags have a lot of character. I think it's great to see these types of bags re-used. John

Click here to view attached image.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1692 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Great find... and can’t beat the price.Smile
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Good eye!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5173 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That is a great looking bag Kanawati. Cleaned up well too!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Many thanks guys🙂
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8340 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good looking case! I too, have found great cases in thrift stores. --and the price was right!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bdungey
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Wow - that's charming and sophisticated. Looks perfect. Congrats.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1692 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Now, I have a silly question... What is lawn bowls?
jamesmwood
View Profile
New user
El Paso, Texas
97 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Hey John,

That bag is beautiful! What a find.

Wravyn -- I think lawn bowls are the same as the game the Italians call "Bocce." The underlying idea is a bit like shuffleboard -- but instead of sliding disks down a long narrow runway like in shuffleboard, you roll balls across a lawn. John, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim
Jim Wood
El Paso, Texas
jawood@utep.edu
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi Dick, Your advice is golden re thrift stores!

I’m glad you guys like it🙂

Unfortunately I’m no expert on the game! I think lawn bowls does have a bit in common with bocce but it is different and has a unique set of rules. It is popular in Australia especially with older Australians and we have many clubs here catering to the sport. Those clubs and the well cared for lawn fields are a familiar site in many suburbs.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1692 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you. I think I’ll stick to horseshoes. Smile
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Lol!
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
184 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
I have to admit. I prefer the table Smile.

Where did you get it?
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
The table I got many years ago and can’t quite remember! I think it was from a discount variety store we have in Australia called the Reject Shop.
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, Kanawati wrote:
The table I got many years ago and can’t quite remember! I think it was from a discount variety store we have in Australia called the Reject Shop.

Thank you.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4643 Posts

Profile of RNK
Anybody know where to find a reasonably priced doctors bag?

Thanks!
RNK
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2200 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, Sebastian Oudot wrote:

Where did you get it?

That looks like a "TV dinner table" I have. Mine's black, though - got it at Target? Wal Mart? This one looks a bit taller than what I have but same design.

I've also seen them in sets that have a rack to hang them on. Those tend to be more like the one in the picture.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 24, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, Sebastian Oudot wrote:

Where did you get it?

That looks like a "TV dinner table" I have. Mine's black, though - got it at Target? Wal Mart? This one looks a bit taller than what I have but same design.

I've also seen them in sets that have a rack to hang them on. Those tend to be more like the one in the picture.

Thank you Christopher.

I've searched for "TV dinner table" plus "Wal Mart" on google Images and found this.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fbdmbdK/7131-Ta-Z4......-460.jpg

It is also sold on Amazon under the name category "TV Trays".

https://www.amazon.com/TV-Trays/b?ie=UTF8&node=8516652011

AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
19 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Nice find on the Bag! As well as magician, I'm a sound tech... and provide sound for a number of Antique shows. I frequently see various bags available... but never sure what I want to work with. I've seen some really cool Small Steam Trunks... and of course Doctors bags, but never on like that. I Like it!
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
211 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Thanks Andy! I was having dinner recently at a club and one of my children spotted the same type of bag along with other vintage items behind a glass display. It made me realize that my bag was in remarkably good condition which might be very rare for that type of bag. Anyway, you guys are even getting me to appreciate the TV tray I have! I saw one on the amazon link that Sebastian provided that has a frame or lip around the base that looked like it could be useful for some tricks like the cups and balls but I don’t need another table and better stop shopping right now! John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I found a great bag for my puposes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL