The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Level One by Christian Grace (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
In terms of people worried about ringing in, there's a great routine (Camera Trick) that is shown in the videochat w/ Christian here https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSup......2649105/ that resolves that issue and gives you a sense of what is possible in terms of routining. It starts at about the 5 minute mark.

That sold me on the effect - I like that approach a lot, and you leave them with evidence on their phone.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Yeh I guess you would perform it like Envelope effect as they sign the card you turn away & ring in the gimmick.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2019, Topcliffe wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2019, A Magic Café User wrote:
I was wondering how difficult Level One is? Do you need to know slights to do it? Are they (the slights) hard to do?

Thanks

Speaking as a sub-amateur, I find the move, especially the first part, to be kind of knacky. I know it's my own lack of skill and experience, and I am slowly getting it, but it's not one of those gimmicks like a t**** t** that require mere seconds of practice to be able to do a passable effect. I look forward to getting this one down, and am glad I got it.

Welcome here.😊

I’m speaking as a decent-at-best coin guy...this is pretty easy to do. Like anything worthwhile, a little practice will go a long way.😉
The camera trick video he does shows you how easy it is to ring in the gimmick right in front of the specs.

Honestly, this is just a super effect, ever so simply put...And like the old TT, I believe anyone can do it. Add some good practice and you will be able to do it well.

As in many things true simplicity is within all the complexity, and Christian here has found it as to this genre of effect...The needle has been officially moved, and Level One is guaranteed to become a real classic. Can’t wait to see the next level. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I’m speaking as a decent-at-best coin guy...

Hahaha, nice try, Mb Smile
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
This is the BEST card effect that I saw at Blackpool 2019!

GREAT idea, great execution, REAL MAGIC!!

I love it.

Greg Rostami
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This is now available at the Reel Magic Marketplace....must be a subscriber

www.reelmagicmagazine.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Watching the Level One video and reading this thread reminded me that I have a trick like this in Envylope, which is a great trick. So is Level One. I really like the camera trick routine.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Just a little update. Since reviewing the effect, I've performed it at events and it goes really well. Yes, the ringing in is always an issue, as with the omni deck etc. Christian does have a nice elegant way of doing it, but to be honest, I just go the easy route of using the old 'they think the trick has ended' thing. Therefore they're not looking for anything. The move itself is knacky, but I find this to be the case with most sleights. It definitely needs work and practice. The two things for me are pocket space and of course layperson response. Both boxes have been ticked. Have a lovely day all .
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Great gimmick. Well made. Great idea but just sold mine. I don’t think it will make it in my set. I don’t like the handing.
MarianoG
View Profile
Veteran user
SPAIN
336 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
Nice solving of an ancient problem!

As D.V would say... ¿how do you get into it, and how do get out if it?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This is really good...so smart.....I highly recommend this...
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I really wish the gimmick was shimmed. Would make ringing it in and out so easy. Version 2.0 should definitely be magnetic. Overall though, this is very nice. Yes you will understand the concept in 5 min but it will take several days to get the knack. Nowhere near as easy to ring in as the omni deck. So that claim is definitely not true. The omni deck basically positions itself and can be loaded blind from your pocket. This needs more handling to position it correctly. Not hard but you need to put in some thought to make it invisible and smooth.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Took me a day but soooooo worth it. Fooled my teen 4 times. The shim idea is nice but unnecessary. . My patter is “alright. Trivia question. How many cards in a full deck? (Show deck while talking). Yessir 52 but with two jokers, 54 (I shift to half during this while I keep talking)But if I take away half the deck (show half deck, pull out transported half from back pocket and hand out.), how many do I have? Right around 27. But (shift to one card) you only want to see a card triick so we only need (pause) one! I reach into pocket and pull out lighter for Abyss by Lloyd Barnes using the one card. Ends clean, keeps it movin’...
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Stoked to see this is now back in stock!

To celebrate the return I'll be chatting live with Christian Grace, the creator of LEVEL ONE, over on the Murphy's Instagram page at 11am pacific time. Drop by to ask any questions or just to say hello to Christian!

The Murphy's account is @murphysmagic (http://instagram.com/murphysmagic)
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
Took me a day but soooooo worth it. Fooled my teen 4 times. The shim idea is nice but unnecessary. . My patter is “alright. Trivia question. How many cards in a full deck? (Show deck while talking). Yessir 52 but with two jokers, 54 (I shift to half during this while I keep talking)But if I take away half the deck (show half deck, pull out transported half from back pocket and hand out.), how many do I have? Right around 27. But (shift to one card) you only want to see a card triick so we only need (pause) one! I reach into pocket and pull out lighter for Abyss by Lloyd Barnes using the one card. Ends clean, keeps it movin’...

Nice idea. However, I have to second the motion for it to be shimmed. Using magnets for ditches, steals, and vanishes for years, it would have had a much easier and more natural ditch (and steal) for me. Perhaps It added too much weight to the gimmick, I don't know. I also think, as some other posters have mentioned, it is definitely a knacky thing. For days (yes, days, a few hours at a time) I thought my hand was maybe too small; the top card constantly buckling. However, with a little advice from someone on this forum, I had it down. My point is there is a knack, so don’t give up on it as I’ve read some others have. The ditches in the video work well for the originator and others and they are sufficient, there’s no mistake there. However, having it shimmed would definitely add the next level to Level One. All around great effect and well made gimmick. Thanks.

Oh, for the best magnetic effect ever, please check out MAGNAPALM below in signature while we still have certified surgeons.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Level One – Christian Grace

Product description: Making a deck vanish is a real piece of magic, spectators seeing disappear from your hands is quite a strong moment. This was the hit at Blackpool 2019, Christian was deming it over and over at the Vanishing Inc stand and I think he sold several hundreds of these. The idea is simple, you show the side of a deck of cards and with just a wave, half of the cards disappear. You pull them out from your pocket. Another wave and only one card remains in the hand of the magician, it’s the spectator’s one and can be handed out. It’s quick, visual and

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at $30 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic partner !

What you get: You get a small little box, with a cardboard sleeve and a foam inside in which you’ll find the gimmick. It’s really well made, it’s made of durable material, I don’t think this will ever break even if you make it fall. You have to customize a bit your gimmick so it looks more real but nothing hard and you’ll have everything you need at home. It will only take you 30 seconds. You also get a card with the explanation on it, which is like 10 minutes long done in music, with English subtitles. I wished the explanation were a little bit longer, because this is far from easy to do. Christian explains how to handle the gimmick as well as how to go from a regular deck to the gimmick setup. Overall, it’s a nice little product, clever idea and well produced but I wished they covered more things in the explanation.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLkIebiWKU

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
As I said, this is not easy to do, it will require several days of practice to make it looks as good as Christian does it. But I like the fact you need to work a bit.
You have some bad angles with this, nobody behind you and you need to do some dirty work to end clean.

THE PROS:
This is not that expensive, even though the gimmick isn’t high tech, this is really priced in my opinion.
I like the fact you need to work in order to make it look good, there are so many gimmicks out there with which you can perform without having to put too much work in it. The reward is better when you put time and effort into it.
It’s very visual, seeing Christian does it is a real pleasure and a fooler! Once you master it, you’ll love doing it.
This is the sort of thing you’ll have in your pocket at all time and you will be practicing whenever you can, it’s addictive!
You can use any poker size card you want, you’re not limited to red bicycle for example so it’s quite versatile in terms of deck you can use.

Overall rating: This is a nice little surprise, not the sort of thing I would perform at a gig but definitely something I enjoyed working on and very satisfying when you get it right ! 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, this is far more difficult than what I expected, it will require good days of practice to be able to do it smoothly, 3/5 stars.

Similar products: Mirage by David Stone is a really good one, Fallen by Daniel Garcia, Humbug by Angelo Carbone.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On May 31, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:

Similar products: Mirage by David Stone is a really good one, Fallen by Daniel Garcia, Humbug by Angelo Carbone.

You say similar products.
Yes, but only similar.
The big difference is, if you use Level One you can give the last card (spectator card) to the spectator and you are clean at the end.
This is not possible with the other versions.

That's a big difference when comparing all versions.

Darko
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
I plan to use this at the end of my Invisible Deck routine. I start by talking about how magic makes dreams real and reality a dream. The ID starts as a Dream. The spectator is part of the dream as they choose and flip a card after tearing off a corner. Then I make the deck a reality by making it appear and do the routine, showing their reversed card with a torn corner. I will then use Level 1 to vanish the deck, returning it to its dream state. Finally, I will vanish their card, probably using the M Case where the deck appeared in the first place (a switch of an empty box for a full one). There is plenty of time and many distractions to ring in the Level 1 gimmick as they examine their card, etc. This seems to me a logical use of the vanishing deck effect.
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
To anyone having any issues with the move, I actually started doing what I think is a great alternative to the one handed move. And that is simply to use your other hand! In the trailer I saw Christian do something where it looked like he kind of "compressed" the deck with his other hand. So I played with this idea and I think it looks just as visual, arguably more so.

Anyone who owns this should know what I mean by doing the move with your other hand. But you can do the same for the 2nd vanish as well. Then to ditch the gimmick I use either a topit or I'll sl***e it (which the gimmick is perfect for) as I go to show my hand empty. Without a jacket or anything you can just ditch it the same way taught.

When I get a chance I'll have to record it, but trust me it's much easier than the one handed version and no risk of buckling the card or messing up the alignment. Not to take away from the one handed move which looks amazing and very magical. But since I don't recall this way being taught, I wanted to share.

Hope someone gives it a try!
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2020, jamo425 wrote:
To anyone having any issues with the move, I actually started doing what I think is a great alternative to the one handed move. And that is simply to use your other hand! In the trailer I saw Christian do something where it looked like he kind of "compressed" the deck with his other hand. So I played with this idea and I think it looks just as visual, arguably more so.

Anyone who owns this should know what I mean by doing the move with your other hand. But you can do the same for the 2nd vanish as well. Then to ditch the gimmick I use either a topit or I'll sl***e it (which the gimmick is perfect for) as I go to show my hand empty. Without a jacket or anything you can just ditch it the same way taught.

When I get a chance I'll have to record it, but trust me it's much easier than the one handed version and no risk of buckling the card or messing up the alignment. Not to take away from the one handed move which looks amazing and very magical. But since I don't recall this way being taught, I wanted to share.

Hope someone gives it a try!

Heh. Yes, this is how I've always done Level One as well after having trouble with the move. It's just so much easier, and seems just as fooling. Plus, the second hand has some built in misdirection that you can take advantage of if you want to...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Level One by Christian Grace (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL