The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Not very magical, still... Ľ Ľ The Most Counterintuitive Probability Paradox? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2019, yachanin wrote:
It seems the problem is one of interpreting what is being asked of the problem solver. I see the question simply as "I have a second child. Is it a male or female."

Regards, Steve

Absolutely true.

If you take a look at the wikipedia link that tommy posted above, you'll see that there's a fair amount of discussion about the proper formulation of the question.

As I'm very familiar with the problem, I know that your interpretation is not what the problem solver intended. I'm not saying that your interpretation is unreasonable by any means; only that that's not what was intended.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2066 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi $2000magician,

Itís not the first time Iíve interpreted things differently than others Smile Iíve enjoyed the mental exercise... thanks Smile

Regards, Steve
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Hi $2000magician,

Itís not the first time Iíve interpreted things differently than others Smile

Such as my username.

It's S2000 (as in Honda's incredible roadster), not $2000.

Smile
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2066 Posts

Profile of yachanin
LOL! Sorry about that (and I got it right the first time, but thought I had made a mistake). Maybe it's time for new glasses Smile

Regards, Steve
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Yes, I know which is the tail.

Then you know whether it's the older penny (the wheat penny) or the younger penny (the Lincoln Memorial penny).

See: you're using older and younger even with your pennies.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2066 Posts

Profile of yachanin
There probably aren't many on this forum that remember wheat pennies Smile

Regards, Steve
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
15684 Posts

Profile of tommy
Never mind pennies, I remember farthings.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2019, tommy wrote:
Never mind pennies, I remember farthings.

I remember penny-farthings.

I own one.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4683 Posts

Profile of landmark
I remember wampum and trading five Eddie Kranepools for one Micky Mantle.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
15684 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is the small wheel a 1/4 of the big wheel?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

Even smaller.

I'll measure them and get back to you with a concrete answer.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

About ⅓ the diameter, so 1/9 the area (when viewed sideways).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
15684 Posts

Profile of tommy
A farthing was a ľ of a penny in value - from "fourthing". The pre-decimalisation British system of coinage was introduced by King Henry II. It was based on the troy system of weighing precious metals. The penny was literally one pennyweight of silver. A pound sterling thus weighed 240 pennyweights, or a pound of sterling silver.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4683 Posts

Profile of landmark
From what I've looked at on Wikipedia, the most recent farthing had a diameter of 20mm and the quarter farthing 13.5 mm. So the area would be about 45% of the larger. The old farthings were as large as 25mm in diameter, which works out to about 29%.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
There's nothing like a probability paradox to get me out of a many-years-long spell away from the forum...

Here's a Jedi Grandmaster level probability puzzle:

Suppose I have an everywhere-nonzero probability distribution on the real number line.

If you don't know what that means, in layman's terms it means that I have some probabilistic process or method to generate a random number. It can potentially generate ANY number. Moreover, if you pick any range of numbers, whether the range is large or small, there's a nonzero probability that you can generate a number inside that range. (It may not be obvious, but such things exist.)

But importantly, you don't know anything else about the distribution. You don't know its mean (or if it even has a mean), you don't know if it has any symmetries, you don't know ANYTHING besides the fact that it's everywhere-nonzero.

Then we play a game: I use that secret distribution to generate two distinct numbers, but I don't tell you either number. I then flip a fair coin to decide which of the two numbers to show you.

Upon showing you the number, you're allowed to say "larger" or "smaller." If in fact the number I showed you was larger than the other number (that I didn't show you), you win if you said "larger" and lose if you said "smaller." Similarly, if the number I showed you was smaller than the other number, you win if you said "smaller" and lose if you said "larger."

Obviously, you can't do this with 100% success. That's not the question. The question is whether you can come up with a strategy that's better than merely guessing at random.

For example, one strategy might be to always answer that the number is the larger number. But you'd only be right 50% of the time.

Is there a strategy that provides a better than 50% success rate?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4683 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Maybe I should have been more clear: if so, what is one such strategy? If not, why not?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2461 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Create a random number along the distribution. That will be your comparison value. When you turn over one of the random numbers, you will compare it to your random number. If it is higher, then you will pick "lower" and vice versa. This only gives you a slightly better than 50-50 chance of being right. The reason this works is because in the off chance that you are number lies between the two numbers the other person chose, you will always be right. Otherwise, it is still just a 50-50 chance.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devilís Island
15684 Posts

Profile of tommy
We used to operate a scam on the bookies some time ago. One would place a complicated bet on a large number of football teams and under stake the number of combinations. The bookies would take the bet without checking the number of doubles, trebles, four timers and so on it should be. After they would just look at the winners and settle up. One would perhaps get say a grand bet on for 700. There was no guarantee of winning but it gave one the edge.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Well done, Steven, you are a Probability Jedi Grandmaster!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Not very magical, still... Ľ Ľ The Most Counterintuitive Probability Paradox? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL