The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The difference between wants and needs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
In the other thread about “irresistible magic offerings,” the discussion on problems/solutions and needs came up. This led me to reevaluate my opinion. After reconsidering my position, I don’t think I’m wrong but I’m open to hearing others views and learning as well.

I think entertainment is a want not a need. As hired entertainers we are not the focus of the event and are brought in to augment an experience not to define it. After all how can entertainment be a need? It’s not needed to survive; nor for a successful outcome of an event. It can assist in surviving and having a successful outcome, but by itself it cannot create those results.

I see magician services as a means to help create an experience. Similar to how a car is a means of transportation. A car isn’t necessary and there are different forms of transportation as well as different levels of quality. So I position my services as a luxury item. I believe in doing so I’m not misrepresenting myself and get a higher paying client.

I appreciate the thought provoking comments on the other thread and I invite everyone here to comment on my opinion and if you see something I’m overlooking or misinterpreting from my own biases/experiences please point them out so I can learn and grow as well.

Thanks.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19407 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When does a want become a need?

Also you have an incredibly short sighted view. Comedy clubs need entertainers. So do colleges, and the examples are pretty easy to find.

Aside from that it is a distinction without a difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9263 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I must disagree with this as well. If we probe into this deeper, like most else here, we will find it will vary depending on consumer markets vs. professional markets, and private events/venues and more public venues.

Fairs, festivals, theaters, colleges, schools, and many other venues and events view entertainment as a definite need. As a promoter, I need artists and acts for my venues and events. This time of year I am doing my annual Spring Tour. Many of these events are based around my appearance as I am not only the highlight of the event, they are relying solely on me and my reputation (within the market) to drive ticket sales, attendance, and financial support from sponsors. EVERYTHING is based on me and my performance. I experience this in many other events I book in which I do not perform.

Think of a theater in Branson, Pigeon Forge, Wisconsin Dells and many other venues - they sink or swim by their entertainment offerings. This is why selecting the RIGHT performer is so crucial and important. Now just any performer but the right performer that checks all of the boxes based on their needs.

If you are looking short-sidedly at let's say a kids birthday party, entertainment may be more of a want. A Cub Scout Banquet can also be more of a want. These events can and do still occur with or without entertainment, entertainment is not the draw - the birthday child or the event itself is. Same for a cruise - people aren't booking and buying tickets for a regular cruise based on the entertainers. However, I work with and book many 60's and 70's artists that do these theme cruises in which the entertainer's are the main draw as the whole thing is based on their fans booking the intimate cruise with their favorite artists. Here the entertainers are the sole and main attraction, not the cruise itself.

So much is market-based and the consumer vs. professional distinction. This is also why the way you market, present, sell and book different markets and levels vary greatly as well. Entertainment can be a supplemental feature or attraction, or it can be the sole primary factor, which is why a typical general approach to entertainment business won't prevail across the board. Entertainment business must operate on all of these various levels.

Walter, I'm surprised to hear you think this way on this.

Great topic as it can make a huge difference to your business approach and operation.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Danny Mindpro,

Thank you both for your responses. It’s true while I wrote the initial post I wasn’t considering the perspective of an entertainment venue nor an event promoter such as yourself Mindpro. For the event promoter and venues, I do agree with your comments as the entertainers provide the necessary supply for their respective business models. Thanks for pointing out a bias in my thought process here..

Danny, for me a want becomes a need when one cannot proceed without it. So with my definition of want and need those business models you both mentioned cannot proceed without the entertainment so entertainers would be needs.

Again thanks for replying.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The difference between wants and needs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL