The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Long Live Physical CDs (Compact Discs) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cartoonist
View Profile
New user
Japan
11 Posts

Profile of Cartoonist
I love having physical CDs for both music and software.

There is something reassuring about having a tangible tool (music or software CDs) that is lacking with intangibles (streaming/Internet based software - perpetual licenses).

Is there anyone else bothered by not having the ability to physically own CDs?

Living in Japan for several decades, I've found the Japanese to be extremely practical. The majority of music sold in Japan is on CDs. About 85% of all music sold in Japan moves around compact discs.

Although I don't own a cell phone, I do have several iPods with many .mp3s on them.

I love Adobe but loathe the subscription based model until death. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Chrome books eliminated CD slots by design so that Google could track every single thing we do online.

Intuitively, I believe (and I may be incorrect) that many people find an intrinsic value in having something physical to hold when purchasing something.

PS - Kudos to Arthur Stead. I have two of Arthur Stead’s CDs and they are simply amazing.
Even more powerful IMHO is the PDF available telling folks why commercial music is not a very good idea at all for performances - an in-depth, and quite frankly, an eye-opening assessment which I found upon deep reflection to be 100% accurate.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,364+ posts only credited with
123 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
CDs are great if you don't mind taking them with you wherever you like to play your music and have access to a CD/DVD player (increasingly harder to find in the states). Also your choice of music is limited to your physical collection.

Streaming music offers flexibility on devices, locations and music variety.

You're right on about Arthur's products. Great stuff that's entertaining, practical, and reasonably priced.
John

New Hampshire
"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Cartoonist
View Profile
New user
Japan
11 Posts

Profile of Cartoonist
Thank you John,

Yes, I burn my CDs onto .mp3s and carry them on one of my iPods.
I do have some songs on .mp3s that are not from CDs, i.e., iTunes.

I've been "burnt" more than once on these songs with computer crashes and had to rebuy what I had previously bought as I foolishly hadn't backed up the library.
I get frustrated sometimes with the DRM (digital rights management) as I only want to copy some songs for my own use but have run into problems in the past.

I like having to own the original source material.

I'm like this with books as well. Although I have a Kindle, I like having the physical copies of books too.
As for software, I despise having to "rent my tools" and I'd just like to buy them outright but Adobe doesn't allow that.

I'm just curious why anyone would prefer only to have a digital copy when they could have a digital copy as well as the original source CDs like Arthurs?
Arthur is one of the world's foremost experts on producing music and the fact that he sells physical CDs and not digital ones reassures me that CDs do in fact have a place in the future.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Would anyone care to see pictures of my 8-track collection?

Iron Butterfly's Greatest Hits,...'In a Gadda da Vida' is cut,....twice(!).
🎶..don't you know I'll be. 🎶
Click. Click. Bonk. Burrrrr.

🎶...true-uuuh!🎶

Still,....
I love having 'something' in my hands!
gallagher
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26941 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2019, Cartoonist wrote:
I love having physical CDs for both music and software.

There is something reassuring about having a tangible tool (music or software CDs) that is lacking with intangibles (streaming/Internet based software - perpetual licenses). ...

They are nice, colorful, shiny, pretty good coasters and you can make stuff with them. Have you tried to read a CD? The old vinyl music formats were better for cover artwork - and making a comeback these days. And you can read them without computer software or even a computer!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1306 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Funny thing about vinyl... they are having a little bit of a comeback in the US. There is a quality to the music (including scratches, unfortunately) called "presence" that you don't get even with CD's. The downside, of course, is their bulk and difficult mobility. I don't miss the old moving days when I had to haul all those boxes of records. My uncle even had a record player in his car's glove compartment that would not skip when the car hit a bump! Nowadays, with bluetooth and cell phone playlists, there's lots more room for other junk. lol Lynn
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I believe I downloaded Arthur's music from his site and not a hard copy. I buy all my music from ITunes and can download them again if my hard drive fails, but I also back them up on an external.

Scratch a physical CD and you are pretty well out of luck. I don't buy DVD's anymore (when I can avoid it).

I do have a nice collection of Laserdiscs movies, but no longer have a device to play them. Eventually I will have them framed and hang them on the wall.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, gallagher wrote:
Would anyone care to see pictures of my 8-track collection?

Iron Butterfly's Greatest Hits,...'In a Gadda da Vida' is cut,....twice(!).
🎶..don't you know I'll be. 🎶
Click. Click. Bonk. Burrrrr.

🎶...true-uuuh!🎶

Still,....
I love having 'something' in my hands!
gallagher

8-tracks were great due to the ease of repair. Smile
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have a lot of old CDs that my new system will not play.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cartoonist
View Profile
New user
Japan
11 Posts

Profile of Cartoonist
Gallagher, are you serious Sir? You still have 8-tracks? I think if you could figure out how to post of picture of them on here, people would love to see them. I suspect many have to no idea what they look like.

Thanks Mike, I didn't know Arthur had downloads, I have the physical CDs.

tommy, I would have hoped modern CD players were backwards compatible. I hope the CD standard worldwide was/is the same, unlike NTSC and PAL for North America and Europe for the old video.

Your uncle sounds like quite the character lynnef with a record player in the glove compartment - wow. I have many PDFs on my CDs though.

I have never tried to read a CD (binary) even though I'm not bad with numbers Jonathan.

My family's CD player is old, so old, it actually has an MD (mini disc) player as well as a cassette player and still performs as well today as it did when we got it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19619 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Move forward. Eventually you will not be able to buy these things so getting so attached makes almost no sense. Lots of people had huge VHS or Beta collections that are nothing but door stops now.

To me it is more about what is on the medium and not the medium itself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
The CDs I am referring to have things like books on, as opposed to music. I know a computer expert who can most likely get them to work for me but it is not easy if one is virtually computer illiterate like I am.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
John Martin
View Profile
Special user
994 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Literate or illiterate, eventually the CD will degrade and be unreadable.....computer expert or not. Having some kind of a digital backup would be a good idea.

John
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
I thought a CD was some kind of a digital backup.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19619 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is. Just not the best kind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2195 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally, I got tired of having to store and organize CDs. Not to mention the annoyance of trying to navigate them. All my music is digital now - either ripped from CDs I purchase and stored on my laptop, phone, and an external hard drive - or just purchased from places I know I can go back to and download again if necessary.

I also don't buy DVDs very often any more. I'd just rather have a digital copy.

It should note that CDs are not a terribly reliable storage medium. They can and do fail regularly.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19619 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They have a definite shelf life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
I use the abobe cloud etcetera for photos and graphics, which use a lot of memory. I don’t really know what stores it but it is simple to use and also one gets access to a lot of other stuff. My daughter uses it more for her business, fashion, whereas I just play with it more or less.

Tommy
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
58 Posts

Profile of Nem
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
They have a definite shelf life.

Agreed, they do degrade over time. Backup your materials another or even multiple ways.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26941 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, Cartoonist wrote:
...I have never tried to read a CD (binary) even though I'm not bad with numbers Jonathan....

They are encoded. Sometimes with region specific codes (America, Europe, Japan ...)
Funny thing - once you want stereo you need to encode your music somehow - even if only to synchronize the two sources. Not so portable and... these days a microSD card (2TB!) and your cell phone can hold much more music than folks used to have in their LP collections.

Then we get to the fun of playlists, mixtapes, bonus beats and mashups. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Long Live Physical CDs (Compact Discs) (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL