The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What to purchase next? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Hi, I was wondering what I should purchase next. Below is a list of material that I own.

1)Royal road to card magic
2)Expert at the card table
3)Expert card technique
4) More card manipulations
5) Arthur Buckley, 40 card experiments (?)
6) Ellusionist Ninja 2
7) Ellusionist Ambitious card
8) Bill Malone OTL 1-4
9) Lennart Green Green magic 1-6
10) Derren Brown - Devil's picture book

I am looking for new slieghts and tricks with minimal overlap to that already taught in the above. I find that very few of the tricks can be done without a table and possibly wanted to rectify this. Was thinking ETMCM series or Darwin Ortiz? My knoweldge of sleights is still far from complete so was also considering Card College series. What are the tricks like in vol. 5? Would also like to own a pickpocketing video - is the general consensus that Freedman's is the best?

Finally, of all the tricks in the above I find Paul Harris' Resetting Reset (Bill Malone's OTL vol.4) the most demanding. Largely because of one move that I find unconvincing. This is the first individual change of an ace to king (face down DL then spin on forefinger)if anyone has a better move for the first change then let me know.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Get the Tarbell set, you'll have enough magic to last 50 lifetimes with the info from those books.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
How about you study everything that you have until the books fall apart and the videos don't play anymore? By that time you might actually be able to properly present some of the material on those books and tapes. Sounds like you have a collection of material there that would take most guys a looooooong time to get down right. The Green tapes alone should keep any serious card guy busy forever.

Look back on what you have and stop trying to waste your money.

Are you trying to keep up with someone?
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
No I'm not trying to keep up with anyone. Don't get me wrong, just because I've only entered four posts here doesn't mean that I'm new to card magic. I regularly perform (not professionally!) all of the card based (non-gaffed) material on Malone OTL series (Admittedly my patter is nowhere near as brilliant as his),happily do the figaro transfer, pass, one handed top palm etc...

However, as I mentioned many of the tricks, esp. Lennart Greens series, require a table of reasonable size to perform. It is not what I would call true close up card magic unlike tricks such as Triumph or Ambitious card which are proximity independent. What I'm really looking for is a encyclopedia of sleights such as contained in Daryl's DVDs or the Card College. I am concerned that many of the techniques in Expert Card Technique may be out-moded. With this in mind what card encyclopedia (DVD/book series) is the best (rate on material, and value for money), and which volumes given the material I already own?
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
How is the Green series? Is it worth the price and which do you think is better, Green or Malone. Sorry for going off-topic.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You master Derren Brown's material but find Reset tough to do? Hmmmm...
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
The Material that you already have is very good. There are very few books available where you won't find any overlaps. I would highly recommend the Card College series 1-5. Although there are overlapping material, it sheds new light on old sleights and a lot of sound advice in their execution. It teaches you the proper use, psychology, application and timing of the sleights in question. It does not matter if you are a beginner or an advanced cardman. The course is designed for maximum learning.

The ETMCM is a definite plus as Michael Ammar's teaching is very clear and the effects on them are very highly regarded and plays very well. Another series you should definately consider is Harry Loraynes Best ever. He is the best teacher I have come across in terms of card magic.
You also mentioned Darwin Ortiz. I have Ortiz at the card table video series as well as his Cardshark series. The effects on them are very strong. Most of them cover demonstrations on gambling and card cheats. Also note that the material on them are not really for beginners as they are quite difficult. But I would definately recommend them.

The move you mentioned in Bill Malone's resetting reset is in fact very convincing if executed properly. People are really fooled when they see that change. If you really want to substitute the move for another change, you have to consider the position you will be in after the change has taken place. Because the current one puts you in the right position for the next move. Substituting it for a different change would destroy the economy of motion of the effect.

If you are really looking for a complete course in sleights, then you should seriously think of getting Daryl's Encyclopeadia of Cards as this contains a wealth of information and more sleights with cards that you will ever use.
I agree with Lonnie Dilan in that you should first try to really go through the material that you already have. They contain so much information that takes years of practice to master, not only the routines, but the sleights themselves.

Hope this helps.
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Thanks for your comments Fayaad. Part of the reason I wanted to get the card college or daryl's encyclo...is that whilst I can perform the figaro transfer I don't know, for example, how to perform the shapeshifter - a slightly odd state of affairs given their respective technical difficulties. Furthermore, my reasons for purchasing ETMCM or Darwin's stuff is to allow me to create my own tricks. For example by combining the basic premise of slap it aces (expert card technique) with bill Malone's apex aces (?) production and the sleight from the secret sessions (derren brown - 3card routine) - you can create a fantastic trick.
kissthecaptain
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of kissthecaptain
Check out Simon lovell's new 3 DVD set. That, and anything by Sal Piacente.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I'd highly recommend the Apocalypse series of books - they are also very very good. Good luck! Smile
Logic Defied
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
Get Tommy Wonders DVDs from L&L publishing.

They have great material.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I love simon lovell's material but if you want to check out his stuff I suggest you get the books over the dvds.
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
Michale Ammar ETMCM is probably your best bet, but then again what do I know.
Peakey
View Profile
New user
Australia
50 Posts

Profile of Peakey
You can't really go wrong with Michael Ammar's ETMCM.

I'd also suggest you consider Sal Piacente's Expert Card Lecture Notes Volumes 1&2. It's one of my favourites.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What to purchase next? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL