The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Personal versus factual infor revelations..... any difference for you? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I would like to hear your experience about a topic I do not see discussed very much.
My experience is that when you reveal personal information, such as the name of someone they are missing a lot, etc., this kind of reveal in mentalism can rock their world. I have seen people cry, people shaken, people know they have seen someone who sold their soul and more, etc.

For me, revealing a thought of card or number, something that they do not have a great personal stake in, can still surprise them. But the revelation of specific hidden personal knowledge seems to rock their world. For me at least. I am doing this partly to hear your experience. Also, I need to remind myself of including this regularly in my performances.

What is your experience? Do you notice a big difference in revealing these types of info?
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I think general consensus is personal information revelations are much stronger than more other indifferent information revelations. This has been my experience as well. For one on one, giving a projective drawing interpretation followed by personal information revelation is about the most impactful thing I can do. For obvious reasons, we are primarily interested in understanding ourselves and those who mean the most to us.

That said, there are a lot of ways to access these in interesting ways
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Great answer. But this is not given enough thought, particularly in the marketplace, or among newer mentalists, right?
I found I have good performing skills and had forgotten about the impact personal, precious information has on spectators. I want
to get that feeling of rocking their personal world again . thanks.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'm not sure that what 'newer' mentalists think -- or any other mentalist for that matter -- has any bearing on what a person chooses to perform in their show. It all comes down to you. The choices are clear: it's safe to go with the basic more generic reveals. It's much more difficult (and frankly dangerous) to go out on a limb and swing for the fences.

If you want to rock their world I respect that.

The key to doing nearly every mentalism effect better is to really work on studying Cold Re*dings and Body Language. Constantly work at becoming comfortable with both of these disciplines will put your work light years beyond what most other performers are doing. They are not popular among many performers because they require hard work and WILL result in many failures along the way. But once you are on the road to mastering them, you're entering into place where the audience will be blown away -- and the line between these methods and 'real' mind reading start to blur.

My advice, because you asked, is to ignore the marketplace. It's direction is set by customers who are looking for the 'latest greatest' whatever. They want it to be easy to do, utterly bulletproof. I appreciate that this is perfectly valid. I like 'easy' too. But the fact is that the really remarkable material only comes about when a performer puts themselves out, is willing to both fail...and work hard.

A Cent*r Tear for example is remarkable when you reveal the word/name/whatever that has been written. It becomes a fricking miracle when you reveal a number of other things with precision that surround that word/name/whatever BEFORE revealing the name.

Most releases are fueled by sales. Creators -- quite reasonably -- want to make some money with their creations. With more performers interested in mentalism, the industry is developing the same 'herd' mentality that magicians are known for. And again -- that's great for them AND the creators. But it means that there's a sudden pile of 'easy to do' mentalism that comes out looking exactly the same.

Performers who make a living performing need to be different. Unique. So they need to look in the direction exactly opposite of where the rest of the herd is headed. If you want to rock their world, you need to rock your own world first.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thought of cards, numbers and so on... They can have a more emotively driven impact if you want them to as well...

You just need to work a couple of oracles and know some psychology and how to meld them together... Once you know how to give a reading, you can 'read' anything.

Most importantly though, don't do stuff just cos it's popular or cos it rocks a world. Think about how you want to come across, and how, by association, and by knowing your audiences beliefs and values - how they associate you to someone else...
I've asked to be banned
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Very good points gentlemen. Yes, factual knowledge can also have a personal tie to it.
It is just that I love to see something really rock their world. Often when I have done the personal info reveals,
something else comes up as a suprise and it strengthens the whole thing as David said.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
If I am doing a company event I’ll always spend some time on their website. Great info there. Also sites like Facebook are easily looked into prior to a show if you have the name of the guest of honour etc. It’s amazing how much info people put into social media. You can get things like their recent trips, accomplishments, birthdays etc.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3894 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I personally have a different take on this. Sure if you are performing casually in a 1-1 situation then personal info may well mean something as long as you can avoid the suspicion that you got the info off facebook. On stage not so much. Here is an extract from the scripting essay in Harpacrown 2.

So often I hear mentalists say that you should use meaningful and emotional information such as a first kiss. Examples such as Derren Brown's beautiful and poetic version of Koran's medallion are often cited as evidence of this point. The reality is that if you are performing to an audience of say 1600 people, one person's first kiss is a random name to 1599 members of the audience. Well it could be 1598 if the person the participant first kissed happens to be in the audience. This so called emotional piece of information is no different from a random word from a random book to everyone else.

So what is the one thing that all of those 1600 people have in common in that moment? The answer of course is YOU!! If you are going to make your performance emotional and relevant, use information or a story that gives the audience a lot of yourself. Tell them your story, not who a random stranger first kissed. Allow the effects to illustrate your story. Let's take a closer look at Derren's medallion. Sure at the climax the participant sees that the medallion is engraved in living memory of her grandmother Doris and she sheds a tear. However, the bulk of the script talks about Derren's relationship with the box and his grandfather whom he called "Papa". He talks about his intrigue as a child, wondering what is in the box. How his grandfather told him never to open the box. He talks about his sadness at losing his grandfather and the experience of having to clear his grandfather’s house. He goes into detail about how he took possession of the box and the moment he opened it. Even in the moment when he reveals the medallion engraved with Doris, he explains that he does not travel with the real medallion for fear of losing it.

The routine is beautiful, not because of the emotional connection between the spectator and Doris, which is merely the cherry on top. The routine is beautiful because of Derren's emotional connection to the box and to his "Papa". In this routine the audience learn more about Derren. Through the sharing of his emotional story, the audience, in that moment, are able to connect with the man on stage.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Well said, Mark.

I have used a First Kiss routine with great success — but only after sharing my story and allowing the audience to get to know the volunteer a little.

David

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Personal versus factual infor revelations..... any difference for you? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL