The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Zippo effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
253 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Nice, I like it (just a little pricey):

https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=64214
To infinity, and beyond!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
It is a little pricey but that is expected with electronics. I would want to know what the warranty is and how much replacement wicks are.

Too bad it is time and not remote controlled. Would be better for me to do a presentation on and then set the open lighter on the table. Later, when all is forgotten, the lighter lights itself and no one has recently touched it.

Also be a great haunted lighter effect if the lighter was aged and didn't look brand new.

Another concern for me, but maybe not relevant, is that in my area smoking has dropped to the level I am not sure how many people know what a zippo is and might look on it with suspicion. Especially a leather wrapped one.

Still looks like a neat effect and I would buy it if the concerns mentioned were addressed.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
212 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
I agree with Willie; wish it wasn’t time controlled.

And if time controlled, why 5 or 10 seconds? Give us at least 30 secs or a minute to build it up once we’re hands off from the lighter.
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
184 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2019, Sebastian Oudot wrote:
More infos here:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218


Not much more. But thanks for the link.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
professortango
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of professortango
I was intrigued until I heard the time limit. I'd love to introduce this as a belonging of a person in the beginning of a seance and have it light by itself awhile later once that character enters our communication. 10 seconds doesn't give you a lot of time. I also wonder if the lighter can be lit traditionally by a spectator or magician to prove its a regular lighter.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2019, professortango wrote:
I was intrigued until I heard the time limit. I'd love to introduce this as a belonging of a person in the beginning of a seance and have it light by itself awhile later once that character enters our communication. 10 seconds doesn't give you a lot of time. I also wonder if the lighter can be lit traditionally by a spectator or magician to prove its a regular lighter.


I think the answer would be no because it is electronic and not mechanical. I do not know for sure but imagine it must ignite with the button. I would like to hear from someone who has it.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1843 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This looks excellent. It is entirely possible through scripting and delivery to use this in any bizarre presentation. Moving it from one side of the table to another, handing it across to a participant, placing it on the palm of someone partway through a demonstration, etc...There are many strengths to it being 'hands off' in this way, which is to say, there is no discernible control mechanism.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
693 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2019, DrTodd wrote:
This looks excellent. It is entirely possible through scripting and delivery to use this in any bizarre presentation. Moving it from one side of the table to another, handing it across to a participant, placing it on the palm of someone partway through a demonstration, etc...There are many strengths to it being 'hands off' in this way, which is to say, there is no discernible control mechanism.


Yup - I agree, this looks very good, I just wonder how it would stand up to a little Bentley aging.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
693 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Meant gentle aging - to look similar to a lighter that had been used for a generation or so “my grandfathers lighter”
Delimbeau
View Profile
Elite user
May the magic be with you
450 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Does any if you own this already? It might be possible to shift the “inner works” into an old Zippo shell? Luc.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, Delimbeau wrote:
Does any if you own this already? It might be possible to shift the “inner works” into an old Zippo shell? Luc.


For the most part, those who have ordered it say the quality is poor and the coil falls off and the button falls off. Putting it in a real Zippo case will not fix these issues.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Delimbeau
View Profile
Elite user
May the magic be with you
450 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Quote:
the coil falls off and the button falls off.


If that happens at your request, that's a magical feat, too. Smile
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, Delimbeau wrote:
Quote:
the coil falls off and the button falls off.


If that happens at your request, that's a magical feat, too. Smile


Lol, don't think the posters were requesting that.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
revenantproductions
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of revenantproductions
Hello All,

We ordered 2 for our show at the Queen Mary and the quality was beyond bad. The "High Quality Leather Case" feels like plastic to the touch and the unit is encased in a cheap knock off lighter body. The on/off switch on one unit fell off the first time we tried to turn it on, and the second unit lit only a half dozen times, and inconsistently at that, before failing altogether and never lighting again.

This could have been a great effect, and I would have paid twice as much for it, if it had been built in a genuine Zippo and functioned as advertised.

Save your money friends. Or better yet, use it to buy something epic from Gemini of Lebanon.

Best,
A.S.
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
I was tempted, then started reading some reviews . Such a shame as the idea was great. I totally concur, stick to Dan and Vic for the best spooky service.
DrIlluminatus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DrIlluminatus
After seening the reviews I think I change my mind on this effect.. Seemed like a good idea
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3241 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2019, DrIlluminatus wrote:
After seening the reviews I think I change my mind on this effect.. Seemed like a good idea


Me as well. I have enough problems with props already.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
253 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, revenantproductions wrote:

This could have been a great effect, and I would have paid twice as much for it, if it had been built in a genuine Zippo and functioned as advertised.


Based on your experience, would you say that doing so would be complicated and/or very expensive?
To infinity, and beyond!
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
693 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2019, Skeleton wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, revenantproductions wrote:

This could have been a great effect, and I would have paid twice as much for it, if it had been built in a genuine Zippo and functioned as advertised.


Based on your experience, would you say that doing so would be complicated and/or very expensive?
mm

In my experience and opinion I would say yes to both; unless you are very experienced working with electronics and making props, the project would be prohibitively difficult. If you do undertake the challenge please post your progress!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Zippo effect (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL