The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What do you actually carry with you? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
For impromptu coin magic, I usually carry a clad half dollar set with a little something extra, the props for Oil and Water (purse, 3 silvers, 3 coppers), a deck of cards, and soon a karate coin. I've found that this combination ends up limiting my repertoire (which isn't large to begin with) to a pretty small set of tricks:
* Coins across
* Oil and Water
* No extras
* A trivial copper silver (e.g. from Bobo's)
* Coins and Cards (Harrison)
* Gallo's karate coin routine
* Some trivial card tricks

What do you usually carry with you? What is your go to routine for impromptu situations?
jim ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
Ayrshire, Scotland
192 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
What do you mean by a trivial copper silver, and trivial card tricks ?

I also don't understand how those props limit your repertoire - with just the cards and coins alone you could have plenty of material.

Jim
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
A trivial copper silver -> it's just a simple transposition in my hands. It's not something like EJ's copper silver (which is a longer more involved effect).

When I say limits, I'm referring to other routines that I know, but require different props; for example, sockless coins, CCC, and 3 fly all use props that I don't normally carry. I bet there are other routines that I could do with the coin set, but in my reading I haven't found that many unique plots with them. Perhaps I've missed some gems?

Cards aren't really my strong suit (pun intended), but I know enough basic slights to do things like find a spectator selected card, guess a spectator's chosen card, etc.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Gold Coin,
I couldn't walk around your question,
because,
the ONLY thing I ever,
ALWAYS
carry with me is:

https://ibb.co/xY5cg6X

a Gold Coin.

The ONE effect,
that I've really spent ANY considerable time with, is:
Marion Boykin's Crimp Change.

With my Gold Coin crimped,
pulling off MB's Change,...
with the spectator's coin,..
then 'back again'.
Well,...for me,
IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT TO LEARN!

I don't have it as smooth, as MB,..
give me another 20,000 pops...
still,
it blows minds.

I work exclusively, as a Street Performer.
Half way through our Show,
I go to our basket,
pull out a coin,...and change to a Golden Coin,..(!),
well,..
jaws drop.

I only carry one coin,
all the time.
A Gold Coin.

Gallagher

p.s.: Of note: The legendary Bartolomeo Bosco, Street Magician,
would go into Markets,
buy an egg,..
crack it open and produce a Golden Coin(!) from it's yolk.
Legend has it, that:
1.) Either the egg-seller would suddenly have ALL of her eggs bought(!),
....or,
2.) She would STOP selling ALL of her eggs(!..!),
and break them open herself!

The Gold Coin,...great name(!).
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8396 Posts

Profile of funsway
Even more simple - carry no props. There are many small objects about for incredible magic effects: candy, nuts, pebbles, coffee creamers, even coins.

What are carry is practiced sleights and psychological ploys. You can develop your own sleight modules and adapt to any situation.

Mine are currently:

four different false placement techniques and three false take ones.

three false count methods

simple steal, ditch and idle techniques

palming methods; usually lower finger/Ramsey or thumb (and PalmerClip)

Utility pass/switch including Flying Shuttle

various secret transfer methods including SwayToss, Chesting and SwayOn

Doesn't matter that you may not recognize some of these sleights. Use what works for you for "found objects" and free yourself from propitis.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
Gallagher I'm still laughing. You actually have my user name in your pocket. I'll check out Crimp Change.

funsway that's an interesting way to look at it. So for you, the props aren't necessarily special, they're just something to apply the slights to?

Do you come up with the routines (or modules as you put it) ahead of time? Or do you put the slights together as you perform? (The latter scares me a little. I did it once and ended up not having a good place to ditch the egg shaped lip balm.)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8378 Posts

Profile of Mb217

😉
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8396 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have many special coins, gaffs and gimmicks for closeup or planned strolling - TUC, C/S, CSB with extras,
but I never carry props on the off chance I will decide to perform. Never "on demand."

Then, I choose to adapt to the setting and audience as naturally as possible. I have dozens of planned effects that can be done with most any small objects,
but I have created new effects on the fly too, well, combinations of sleight-modules to match as story or involve a special person.

The key is to have combinations practiced to automaticity rather than full effects. "Stones across" can be 2, 3,4 objects and possible morph into another object
to segue into a different effect.

So, I do not carry any props - unless I have a planned performance. That is a different matter all together.

In strolling situations I prefer to have a basket of objects for which a spectator can select an object. I carry the gaffs to switch-in as they hand it to me.

One amusing change was to carry these items (coins, rings, buttons, marbles, etc) in a leather pouch to be poured out onto a plate.
The sack was secured with a metal ring ties to a thong, When I asked a person to select an item to perform with, many would try and "get me"
by pointing to the ring or thong or even the pouch. The ring was the solid Jardin-Ellis part with the shell under my belt. I had a loop of thong hidden for C/R,
and the pouch was rigged as an egg bag.

Props? Sleights? For me the story of magic they tell afterwards is the critical part. That is easier if I use found or natural objects - or "their choice."

However, for years I carried the tine of a plastic fork in my wallet for a "spontaneous" knife through coat effect. It could be dropped to the floor and go unnoticed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1031 Posts

Profile of reese
I carry 3 ordinary half dollars.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2019, funsway wrote:
...I never carry props on the off chance I will decide to perform. Never "on demand."...So, I do not carry any props - unless I have a planned performance. That is a different matter all together.

Yep! Total agreement! Smile

Doug
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8164 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2019, funsway wrote:
Even more simple - carry no props. There are many small objects about for incredible magic effects: candy, nuts, pebbles, coffee creamers, even coins.

What are carry is practiced sleights and psychological ploys. You can develop your own sleight modules and adapt to any situation.

Mine are currently:

four different false placement techniques and three false take ones.

three false count methods

simple steal, ditch and idle techniques

palming methods; usually lower finger/Ramsey or thumb (and PalmerClip)

Utility pass/switch including Flying Shuttle

various secret transfer methods including SwayToss, Chesting and SwayOn

Doesn't matter that you may not recognize some of these sleights. Use what works for you for "found objects" and free yourself from propitis.

About
30 years ago, I was touring Arizona, on the Navajo Reservation.I played a Jr. High School on a Friday afternoon. A teacher/amateur magician invited me to his home for dinner. His wife was "Din eh" (a Navajo lady), When I told her that I had 'a few drops of Chippewa blood, she invited me to a pow wow for the weekend. I accepted of course! It was an overnight ceremony. In the morning, I was sitting on a boulder, waiting for breakfast which the host family was preparing, About a dozen Kindergarten age kids came by to meet the "beligana" (white guy!). I picked up 4 little stones that were fairly similar in size and color, and did "two in the hand and one in the pocket. They were fascinated! Then I saw an old grandfather watching from a little distance. He was obviously wondering what I was doing with the youngsters. He crept slowly towards us, and soon was looking over my shoulder. Then, he smiled and said, "Nizzhoni", and crept away, (nizzhoni="good"! in Navajo.) Right, Ken! Props are all around us.....
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Just 4 quarters (as far as magic is concerned).

I would borrow a quarter and perform Bob Carver's Progressive Production from Bobo's The New Modern Coin Magic.

(Also see my two presentations on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum posted on October 1, 2004.)
st3v13
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of st3v13
I'm a fidgetter, so I always have a ring on and a half dollar or a dollar on my pocket. I mix up what I pair with it. I bought a few Harbottle pocket management system so I can just pick up one I'm feeling. Csb and a card reveal or full sized SM with a different card reveal
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8378 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, welcome to the Café, st3... Smile

Lots of great stuff folks carry with them for a little magic. It don't take much, and with that I typically always have a couple of coins on me, of late, I've been carrying a Morgan Dollar and a dollar size Chinese coin. At other times, I might have a few half dollar coins on me to do a variety of things, but I've put together a little set with the Morgan & Chinese coin that just feels good and fun to do for people. I can even just do a little part of it and it rocks...Like this... Smile

Again, welcome. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3612 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I carry my ungimmicked copper silver brass, which is modular with several phases, and you can add on two coins across phases if you want to extend the magic. I also carry my Magnetic coins routine. Both are on my At the Table dvd, as well as on the Penguin live lecture one (maybe the magnetic coins is on 2, not sure)
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
375 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I have One Normal half dollar and DOUBLE FACE SUPER TRIPLE COIN BY JOHNNY WONG in my wallet all the time.
st3v13
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of st3v13
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2019, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
I carry my ungimmicked copper silver brass, which is modular with several phases, and you can add on two coins across phases if you want to extend the magic. I also carry my Magnetic coins routine. Both are on my At the Table dvd, as well as on the Penguin live lecture one (maybe the magnetic coins is on 2, not sure)

Your "At the Table" lecture is the reason I carry a copper, silver brass! (supporting Dr. Rubinstein's plug =D)
To be more precise, I carry Jeff copeland's reliame and tresur coins.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4816 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
4 Morgans
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Thumb tip, Double Cross and Loops Smile
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
610 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
My wedding ring, a bandana, an 18" shoelace, and four 1967 Kennedy halves. (I also keep two decks of cards, one red and one blue, in the car...)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What do you actually carry with you? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL