The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Polish Poker by Michal Kociolek (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
898 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hey guys,

Polish Poker is now available WORLDWIDE! Check your favorite magic dealer!

Vanishing Inc: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......h-poker/

Penguin Magic: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S26644

Murphy's Magic: https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=64001

-

Deal the hand the spectator names... before he names it!

This could be a packet trick; but it is so much more. Not just a poker demonstration, but a real magical experience for the spectator.

The spectator only THINKS of a hand he wants and then can STOP the magician at five different cards. No chance that the magician would know which hand to deal or to force. The five chosen cards are exactly the hand he was thinking of.

This is our first release with online instructions, that have professional transcriptions (subtitles) in English, German, Japanese.

Includes a red back Phoenix Deck with standard indexes and a special set of gimmicks.

Best,
Mike
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4850 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Wow, looks amazing.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I assume the selection must either be four of a kind or a Royal Flush.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Since you cannot show the face up cards using this deck for this routine, it would be most beneficial to do one or two card effects using a regular deck and then do a sw...h before doing this routine
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1689 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
Since you cannot show the face up cards using this deck for this routine, it would be most beneficial to do one or two card effects using a regular deck and then do a sw...h before doing this routine


This is not a fully gimmicked deck. You could do many routines beforehand with the same deck, then easily transition to this effect.

They can also name any poker hand, not just the two you mentioned.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10459 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Reviews please? It’s been out since Blackpool
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
It's a pretty baffling effect. The standard method for this sort of effect has been distilled down to a handful of special cards that come with a Phoenix deck. As David mentioned you can do many routines with the same deck beforehand to include showing faces (with proper care), or you can do this as a packet trick. I would recommend the full-deck routine. They can name any poker hand from 2-of-a-kind on up, and you will produce the highest-valued version of that hand. Of course it's worth noting that the highest-valued flush and straight are both royal flushes.

As far as a review, there's not a lot to say. This gives you the ability to perform a miracle. Five cards are dealt to the table, the spectator names any poker hand, and those five cards -- with no funny moves or switches -- match the named hand. It's all in the presentation. If you sell it as a miracle, you will indeed have one.

It resets instantly and can even be repeated.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, TuneHV wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
Since you cannot show the face up cards using this deck for this routine, it would be most beneficial to do one or two card effects using a regular deck and then do a sw...h before doing this routine


This is not a fully gimmicked deck. You could do many routines beforehand with the same deck, then easily transition to this effect.

They can also name any poker hand, not just the two you mentioned.


Thank you very much for the correction and clarification.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
234 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
I bought this, pre Blackpool at the Session.

When I practised it on my wife she wasn’t too enamoured, however, after performing to real people, in the real world (mainly at restaurants and bars), this is KILLER!

I’ve found that most groups have at least one poker player in. Because of this, it makes it so much stronger. I always get the ‘poker player’ to confirm and explain what they’ve chosen, before the reveal.
That way the whole group knows what to expect. Great reactions so far.
I personally wouldn’t repeat the effect, but I do go onto other gambling style effects
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
Four double enders; say, 10S/AD, JS/KC, QS/AC, and KS/AH; and a regular AS could be reconfigured into One Pair (10S-KC-JS-KS-AS), Two Pair (10S-KC-AC-KS-AS), 3-of-a-kind (AD-JS-AC-KS-AS), 4-of-a-kind (4 Aces and a KC), a Full House (AD-KC-AC-KS-AS) and a Flush, Straight, Straight Flush or Royal Flush (10S-JS-QS-KS-AS) depending on how you spread the cards. But to say there are "no funny moves" after the spectator names his choice of hand, as CardGuyMike says above, doesn't seem accurate, if this is the method.

If this is indeed the method, I don't understand why a large bank of gaffed cards is needed. Why not simply switch the cards selected for the five you need? There are several deceptive ways to do this.

DK
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
337 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
A similar type of effect is Zen Master by Steve Beam - see http://www.stevebeam.com/blog/zen-master/ . I bought it from him at an excellent lecture he gave.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2019, Dark Knight wrote:
Four double enders; say, 10S/AD, JS/KC, QS/AC, and KS/AH; and a regular AS could be reconfigured into One Pair (10S-KC-JS-KS-AS), Two Pair (10S-KC-AC-KS-AS), 3-of-a-kind (AD-JS-AC-KS-AS), 4-of-a-kind (4 Aces and a KC), a Full House (AD-KC-AC-KS-AS) and a Flush, Straight, Straight Flush or Royal Flush (10S-JS-QS-KS-AS) depending on how you spread the cards. But to say there are "no funny moves" after the spectator names his choice of hand, as CardGuyMike says above, doesn't seem accurate, if this is the method.

If this is indeed the method, I don't understand why a large bank of gaffed cards is needed. Why not simply switch the cards selected for the five you need? There are several deceptive ways to do this.

DK


Well of course you are manipulating the cards, but the way it is taught it really does not look like any sort of funny moves to the spectator.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
Can you really name ANY poker hand?

It seems to me that you are limited to a very small subset that doesn't even include all of the different types of hands (like straight or flush), never mind any hand (like four jacks as opposed to four aces) ?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4148 Posts

Profile of videoman
It was stated earlier that you can produce the highest version of each chosen hand. Which make sense to me because if they could choose for instance a four of kind with any value that would require covering a lot bases.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
599 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
You can produce a royal flush which is both the highest straight and the highest flush
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
I guess if you never perform for people that actually play poker seriously, you might get away with the Royal Flush line, but telling someone that actually plays poker seriously that a Royal Flush is the highest straight or highest flush is going to get you laughed at in my opinion. If not directly, afterwards. "Yeah, the magician thinks that a Royal Flush is the highest possible straight. HAHAHAHAHAHA -what an idiot!"
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, barts185 wrote:
I guess if you never perform for people that actually play poker seriously, you might get away with the Royal Flush line, but telling someone that actually plays poker seriously that a Royal Flush is the highest straight or highest flush is going to get you laughed at in my opinion. If not directly, afterwards. "Yeah, the magician thinks that a Royal Flush is the highest possible straight. HAHAHAHAHAHA -what an idiot!"


But a royal flush IS the highest possible straight and the highest possible flush.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3370 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
A straight and a straight flush are not the same. If I asked for a straight I’d consider a straight flush a miss. Same as if I asked for two pairs and got two pairs of aces, nope that’s 4 of a kind even though technically there are two pairs.

Mind you it’s easy to rule out the straight by saying choose a hand such as a straight, don’t go for a straight because I’ve said that.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
898 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hey guys,

When it comes to Polish Poker, I think it is really cool how much you can do with so little. Obviously, there has to be some limitations, but with a little bit of thought you can use them as an advantage.

I understand that some might feel that producing a Royal Flush when a Straight, Flush, or a Straight Flush is requested, is a bit of cheating. I think it's safe to say that showing a Royal Flush when someone chose a Straight Flush is acceptable. This is the highest Straight Flush there is, so this leaves the only two problematic hands – the Straight and the Flush.

Many magicians I shared the concept with commented that this weakness can be sneakily turned into a a good thing, and suggested the "best <Straight, Flush, or Straight Flush> there is" strategy. And, although this works okay when the performer does all the work, this is especially good when the spectator himself picks the cards. This allows you to jokingly comment that the spectator did even better than you expected. For example, right before the reveal say, "You know, this never happens, but if the Flush you wanted is somehow the highest Flush there is, Ten to Ace in Spades - you're not incredible - you're a show off!"

Mike
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1294 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, barts185 wrote:
I guess if you never perform for people that actually play poker seriously, you might get away with the Royal Flush line, but telling someone that actually plays poker seriously that a Royal Flush is the highest straight or highest flush is going to get you laughed at in my opinion. If not directly, afterwards. "Yeah, the magician thinks that a Royal Flush is the highest possible straight. HAHAHAHAHAHA -what an idiot!"


But a royal flush IS the highest possible straight and the highest possible flush.


No, it is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_hands

A straight is a hand that contains five cards of sequential rank, not all of the same suit...
A flush is a hand that contains five cards all of the same suit, not all of sequential rank...

These are to distinguish those hands from a straight flush, which is a different classification and is not the highest straight nor the highest flush.

If you want to use the method / lines suggested, that's your option, but as I said, expect less than complimentary thoughts about your poker knowledge from anyone that actually plays.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Polish Poker by Michal Kociolek (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL