The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Polish Poker by Michal Kociolek (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Barts185 - you are absolutely right about the differences between the ranks. "Selling" the royal flush as a straight/flush isn't the best thing in the world, so you need to take the full advantage of the fact that the spectator picks the cards, not the performer.

The wording I used previously isn't perfect, so let's try again. I'm not a native speaker, so your suggestions are more than welcome!

So, someone names a flush. You check the cards, act surprised and jokingly say, "Wow! You're such a show off! Not only you somehow found a flush - it's a royal one! You don't take chances, don't you?"

Saying that, I have a few ways to handle the cards that deal with the straight/flush situation perfectly, but they are slightly advanced. Card Shark's motto is "simply amazing, amazingly simple" so let's stick to that Smile

Mike

PS.
Mark Chandaue suggested a clever ruse to name one of the ranks so it should be ruled out. That's cool, but having a small amount of hands to pick from, this might not be the perfect option, at least for me.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2215 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
A straight and a straight flush are not the same. If I asked for a straight Iíd consider a straight flush a miss. Same as if I asked for two pairs and got two pairs of aces, nope thatís 4 of a kind even though technically there are two pairs.

Mind you itís easy to rule out the straight by saying choose a hand such as a straight, donít go for a straight because Iíve said that.

Mark


I disagree. Basic set analysis can be applied here. A straight flush is a subset of flushes as well as a subset of straights. The Venn diagrams are crystal clear. You can consider a royal flush to be neither a straight nor a flush and youíd be wrong both ways. Or, if Iím wrong, show me a Venn diagram illustrating it and Iíll admit it.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3307 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, Lemniscate wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
A straight and a straight flush are not the same. If I asked for a straight Iíd consider a straight flush a miss. Same as if I asked for two pairs and got two pairs of aces, nope thatís 4 of a kind even though technically there are two pairs.

Mind you itís easy to rule out the straight by saying choose a hand such as a straight, donít go for a straight because Iíve said that.

Mark


I disagree. Basic set analysis can be applied here. A straight flush is a subset of flushes as well as a subset of straights. The Venn diagrams are crystal clear. You can consider a royal flush to be neither a straight nor a flush and youíd be wrong both ways. Or, if Iím wrong, show me a Venn diagram illustrating it and Iíll admit it.

I donít see myself ever asking my audiences to engage in basic set analysis or study Venn diagrams. In the rules of poker there is a clear distinction between a straight, a flush and a straight flush. The straight flush is excluded from both the straight and the flush and so is not a subset of either. Anyone who plays Poker knows this or should know it and Poker is growing in popularity.

To quote the rules of poker:
A flush is a hand that contains five cards all of the same suit, not all of sequential rank. It ranks below a full house and above a straight.

A straight is a hand that contains five cards in sequential rank, not all of the same suit. It ranks below a flush and above 3 of a kind.

Therefore a straight flush cannot be a straight by definition of the fact that a straight cannot be all of the same suit, nor can it be a flush because a flush cannot be all in a sequential rank. It is excluded from both the straight and flush rather than being a subset of either as far as poker is concerned.

So as I said, as a poker player I would consider a straight flush just as big a miss if I asked for a straight as I would four of a kind if I had asked for 2 of a kind and I donít think the performer pulling out a Venn diagram to show that a pair is a subset of 4 of a kind would change my mind or enhance my opinion of the performer.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Although I like Venn diagrams, let's stick to the official rules of poker Smile

After you'll perform this trick numerous times (like I did), you will see that the most popular hands are a full house, then a four of a kind/royal flush. So, you will have to rely on verbal trickery very, very rarely.

Mike

PS.
I discussed the straight/flush situation with my friends, and one of them said that "someone who is that doctrinaire about poker rules is no fun" Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, tenchu wrote:

I discussed the straight/flush situation with my friends, and one of them said that "someone who is that doctrinaire about poker rules is no fun" Smile


I agree with your friend. This is a magic trick, not World Series of Poker.
You're supposed to have fun with it and allow your spectators to have fun too. I think these exact definitions are missing the point of the effect, and if you're friends are going to chastise you for "getting it wrong" then either don't do any magic for these friends or certainly choose something else to do. I would suggest perhaps sponge bunnies.

There are a million things you can say to have fun with your supposedly wrong answer and make sure everyone has a good time and is entertained. Besides that isn't even going to be an issue very often anyway.
All these poker hand proper definitions are diverting attention away from what a great effect this can be. I mean Venn diagrams for crying out loud, has it really come to that????
If you are a serious hardcore poker player or you know someone who is then this may be the right effect for you or them.

I have the opposite problem. I don't think I know anyone who could name a poker hand, and I'm not kidding at all.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3307 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Some of us donít perform for friends and at a paying gig you donít get to choose your audience. Personally I would just rule out a straight and a flush by using them as examples to avoid the miss, there are plenty of others to go for and as the participant chooses the cards you still have a great effect.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 4, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Some of us donít perform for friends and at a paying gig you donít get to choose your audience. Personally I would just rule out a straight and a flush by using them as examples to avoid the miss, there are plenty of others to go for and as the participant chooses the cards you still have a great effect.

Mark


Sure! You can do that and it should play just fine.

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Good news, everyone! Smile

After numerous performances and tweaks, I have finally written down my absolute favorite routine that squeezes all of the juices from the Polish Poker set. It starts as an incredibly impressive feat of riffle stacking, but you top that showing something that borders on the supernatural... And it's SUPER easy! Practically self-working.

This will satisfy (and fool) even the hardcore poker players out there. There's no straight/flush compromise. You'll love it.

Stay tuned!

Mike
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1300 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On May 6, 2019, tenchu wrote:
Good news, everyone! Smile

After numerous performances and tweaks, I have finally written down my absolute favorite routine that squeezes all of the juices from the Polish Poker set. It starts as an incredibly impressive feat of riffle stacking, but you top that showing something that borders on the supernatural... And it's SUPER easy! Practically self-working.

This will satisfy (and fool) even the hardcore poker players out there. There's no straight/flush compromise. You'll love it.

Stay tuned!

Mike


Just checking since we're staying tuned. It's been 3 weeks. Any ETA?
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On May 27, 2019, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On May 6, 2019, tenchu wrote:
Good news, everyone! Smile

After numerous performances and tweaks, I have finally written down my absolute favorite routine that squeezes all of the juices from the Polish Poker set. It starts as an incredibly impressive feat of riffle stacking, but you top that showing something that borders on the supernatural... And it's SUPER easy! Practically self-working.

This will satisfy (and fool) even the hardcore poker players out there. There's no straight/flush compromise. You'll love it.

Stay tuned!

Mike


Just checking since we're staying tuned. It's been 3 weeks. Any ETA?


Sorry for the wait! Smile

As for now, this handling will be published, as a bonus, in my upcoming booklet (that will also function as lecture notes)!

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Also, check out the newest review of Polish Poker by David (Magic Orthodoxy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyJ8kS-cT5Y

Mike
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
878 Posts

Profile of tenchu
As a long time fan, it's great to see Polish Poker on the Wizard Product Review!

Another great review!

https://youtu.be/qQ_QwI1O2dU

Mike
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1132 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
The force of the five cards is a gem in itself. The effect is great as well. All in all a great trick, although a little to expensive for what you get.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Polish Poker by Michal Kociolek (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL